The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Not sure if this has been answered but do the boundaries tend to shift up or down for this exam. ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 241
Could someone explain the difference between a switch, router and hub. There is frequently a question that involves an unlabelled network diagram. I'm worried that if it asked me to identify a device rather than suggest an IP, I wouldn't be able to.

Also, just in case this comes up: do LAN wireless access points operate in baseband or broadband mode? Can there be simultaneous transmissions? The textbook is a bit patchy on the wireless section, so I'm not sure whether we are supposed to know this.
Reply 242
what the hell is the answer to this? i dont think i have a clue o_O ...these are questions i'm scared will come up and make me get a B :/

COMP3_044.jpg
Reply 243
Original post by drspa44
Could someone explain the difference between a switch, router and hub. There is frequently a question that involves an unlabelled network diagram. I'm worried that if it asked me to identify a device rather than suggest an IP, I wouldn't be able to.

Also, just in case this comes up: do LAN wireless access points operate in baseband or broadband mode? Can there be simultaneous transmissions? The textbook is a bit patchy on the wireless section, so I'm not sure whether we are supposed to know this.

a switch is for segmenting, it will only send the the data to the node it is intended to be sent to. routers route packets according to destination, if it cannot route to the destination in its subnet then it'll send the packet to the next router up in the hierachy.

wireless ponst don't operate in broadband or baseband, they just transmit through the air, and yes there can be simultaneous transmissions
Reply 244
Original post by Amirrryy
what the hell is the answer to this? i dont think i have a clue o_O ...these are questions i'm scared will come up and make me get a B :/

COMP3_044.jpg

lol, never seen that question before, but from what i deduced about how a stack works im guessing that the elements in the queue will be pushed into the stack one by one, and then simply be popped back out of the stack into the queue. because a stack is last in first out, the elements popped in to the queue will have the effect of reversing it.
Reply 245
Original post by gowans07
Not sure if this has been answered but do the boundaries tend to shift up or down for this exam. ?

The raw marks were scaled up for 2010 and 2011, and I can see them being scaled up again this year, unless the exam is incredibly easy which I highly doubt.
Reply 246
They are usually scaled up, the onyl subject where I see them scaled down often is maths.
could someone answer this question, it's from the AQA computing book...

Explain why programs can be treated as data? :/

Thanks
Reply 248
I'd basically ignore the questions in the book, lol
Reply 249
i am not good with class definitions so can someone help me with this please.
thanks

COMP3_057.jpg

COMP3_044.jpg

Push to stack, pop from stack onto a new queue.
Reply 251
i am not good with class definitions so can someone help me with this please.
thanks

COMP3_057.jpg

no idea if this is completely right but:

Member = Class
[INDENT][INDENT] Public[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT] Procedure AddNewMember
Procedure AmendMemberDetails
Procedure DisplayMemberDetails[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT] Private[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT] Surname : String
FirstName : String
TelephoneNumber : String
Handicap : Integer[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT] End[/INDENT]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 252
That looks right, but uusually they have an example to show the format of it no?
Reply 253
Original post by exe
That looks right, but uusually they have an example to show the format of it no?

not always, not in the old spec at least

there's only been one question like this in the new spec but they did give the format, so I'm not really sure :s-smilie:
Reply 254
I don't really get linear rehashing, can anyone explain it?
Reply 255
what would be an example of the use of a binary search tree? what are they used for? can you say to find a number in a large sequence of numbers?
Reply 256
Original post by exe

i dont think you need to know it...the spec only says "explain the technique of hashing and its application" ...very vague but my teacher was also guessing knowing the definition, its purpose and maybe how it works generally (different types) would be suffice if not more than required...no need to go into details i wouldnt think....i havent went over hashing yet myself so sorry for not giving you any useful help :L :P
Reply 257
Original post by ms607
no idea if this is completely right but:

Member = Class
[INDENT][INDENT] Public[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT] Procedure AddNewMember
Procedure AmendMemberDetails
Procedure DisplayMemberDetails[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT] Private[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT] Surname : String
FirstName : String
TelephoneNumber : String
Handicap : Integer[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT] End[/INDENT]

Yeh looks fine, exactly what I got

Reply 258
Original post by exe

Take the original hash value and increment it by 1 modulo N (N is the no. of rows in the table), 2 modulo N...and so on until there's an empty slot.
Reply 259
Watch a tree/graph traversal come up this year...
Also hashing as well

Latest

Trending

Trending