The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by gowans07
For question two, the os will have a network software layer which will intercept commands that reference networked resources. It may also have some server os functions as it may have to deal with requests from other clients. So it will provide services and resources to the other networked clients.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

yea thanks :smile:
Reply 161
do we need to know the purpose of a device driver?
Reply 162
Original post by Amirrryy
do we need to know the purpose of a device driver?

Shouldn't think so, http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2510-W-SP.PDF there's the spec so you can see what were required to know. Page 11 onwards for comp3

Reply 163
No yo won't, but it's not difficult, device dirvers are basically an interface between the OS and the software, and are written in assembly, I'm pretty sure that's all you would need to know anyway
Reply 164
yea they are used to communicate with the OS and control the hardware (device). They are written in a low level language and are not already on the OS to reduce the size of the OS, to allow compatibility of different manufacturers and allow a range of hardware. :smile:
Reply 165
yea they are used to communicate with the OS and control the hardware (device). They are written in a low level language and are not already on the OS to reduce the size of the OS, to allow compatibility of different manufacturers and allow a range of hardware. :smile:

:smile: yes
Reply 166
You have to know what an interface is though: a boundary between a user and the code, a user only has to know how to control the system and not how it works.

Reply 167
do we need to know what is meant by leased line networking and dial-up networking?
Reply 168
do we need to know what is meant by leased line networking and dial-up networking?

Nope that's more ICT, you have to know the difference between baseband and broadband. And the advantages and disadvantages of each. Although this is unlikely to come up as it appeared in last years paper

Reply 169

nah, that is a relic from the old exams. Dial up networking basically doesn't exist anymore.
Anyone else worried that simulations might come up? I mean, the most we've seen of them is "What is a model?" if I remember correctly. I learnt them last year so it's not exactly fresh in my mind. And the bit in the textbook seems way too expansive.
Reply 171
For anyone worrying about asynchronous transmission and digital certificates, just managed to learn both in less than 30 mins. Fairly logical after a bit of practice.

A hashes the message to produce a message digest
This is then encrypted using A's private key to produce a signature
The signature is then added to the message
The message is then encrypted using B's public key

The message is decrypted using B's private key
The signature is then decrypted using A's public key to reproduce the message digest
The message is the rehashed to produce a message digest
The two digests are then compared if they match then the message has not been tampered

Thanks mate :biggrin:. That makes a lot of sense now. I hope it comes in the exam for six marks
Reply 172
Original post by exam2k10
Thanks mate :biggrin:. That makes a lot of sense now. I hope it comes in the exam for six marks

No worries, not as hard as I thought it was either.

Original post by exe
yeah, it's not that complicated, bond has asperger's syndrome though so he can't explain things in a logical way at all

This summarises the entire computing course pretty well.
I don't understand this question.

(b) Bus local area networks such as Ethernet operate in baseband mode. Wide area networks operate in broadband mode. Give two reasons why wide area networks are operated in broadband mode. (2 marks)

Two reasons:
Wide area networks expensive to install;
Wide area networks expensive to maintain;
Wide area networks involve long distances;
Can allow multiple data stream to keep costs down;
Many channels needed to cope with high volume of traffic
Or enables more users to use network without experiencing congestion;
R Faster
R Can work over longer distances
R More than one user will want to use it simultaneously
R Cheaper, more efficient

Why would a reason to use broadband be it is expensive :s-smilie: and why is more than one user will want to use it at the same time rejected. I thought the whole concept of braodband was you can transmit multiple data at the time because of the swith at the center re routes the data where it wants to go.
Reply 175
Original post by BalletDystopia
I don't understand this question.

(b) Bus local area networks such as Ethernet operate in baseband mode. Wide area networks operate in broadband mode. Give two reasons why wide area networks are operated in broadband mode. (2 marks)

Two reasons:
Wide area networks expensive to install;
Wide area networks expensive to maintain;
Wide area networks involve long distances;
Can allow multiple data stream to keep costs down;
Many channels needed to cope with high volume of traffic
Or enables more users to use network without experiencing congestion;
R Faster
R Can work over longer distances
R More than one user will want to use it simultaneously
R Cheaper, more efficient

Why would a reason to use broadband be it is expensive :s-smilie: and why is more than one user will want to use it at the same time rejected. I thought the whole concept of braodband was you can transmit multiple data at the time because of the swith at the center re routes the data where it wants to go.

WIDE area networks are expensive to install, broadband or baseband, so broadband is used because ti doesn't make business sense to spend a lot of money and only be able to transmit a single data stream.

Original post by joenye
This summarises the entire computing course pretty well.

hahaha, agreed
Reply 176
Is that from a past paper? Very badly worded by the sounds of it
Original post by exe
WIDE area networks are expensive to install, broadband or baseband, so broadband is used because ti doesn't make business sense to spend a lot of money and only be able to transmit a single data stream.

Suppose that makes sense. Thanks! :smile:
Is that from a past paper? Very badly worded by the sounds of it

Yeah it is. I think 2002 or around that.
Reply 179
Since most people think the big question will be on public key/private key encryption. Here's a simple diagram explaining it all that my teacher made for us!

Public Key Diagram.jpg

Latest

Trending

Trending