The Student Room Group

MPs want to make ''obese/fatty'' a hate crime

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oktem_Returns
What a bad argument - you can't even put forward a valid point. Fat people, as I have already stated, are a drain on the economy, and on society in general. Then are an inconvenience in every concievable way, such as taking up too much room on the tube or being too slow at walking. They also eat too much and produce too much litter which they usually carelessly throw on the ground without a second thought. In my opinion there should be restrictions and rules put in place in order to prohibit their kind from accessing some of the same facilities and recources that normal people can access, which is no more than the deserve.

So you basically come out with a statement without any elaboration or explanation whatsoever and apparently it's a 'bad argument' on my part if I try to get you to explain yourself a bit? I wasn't even trying to make a point, it was just a question. Whatever. No use debating with someone who gets so irately emotional anyway.
Original post by Captain Haddock
So you basically come out with a statement without any elaboration or explanation whatsoever and apparently it's a 'bad argument' on my part if I try to get you to explain yourself a bit? I wasn't even trying to make a point, it was just a question. Whatever. No use debating with someone who gets so irately emotional anyway.

Another evasive response - well done, you are clearly someone with a compelling and well though out viewpoint.
Another evasive response - well done, you are clearly someone with a compelling and well though out viewpoint.

My viewpoint is that nobody should feel it acceptable to abuse or bully anyone for any reason. Pretty simple really, yet very hard for some people to get their heads around.
Reply 103
Original post by Captain Haddock
Those are all pretty ****ty reasons to stigmatise people. If you see being fat as such a problem then what makes you think abuse and ostracism is an appropriate response to it?

Because it encourages them to stop being fat. Pretty simple really.
Isn't obese a scientific term...so would a doctor be caught for diagnosing their patient as 'obese'...it's like making 'underweight' a hate crime
Original post by Jordan_1
Because it encourages them to stop being fat. Pretty simple really.

You have no evidence for that. Bullying is not encouraging. Being encouraging is encouraging. If you're really so concerned about the problems that a person's weight is causing themselves and others, you would advocate an amicable approach to the issue, not one that has the potential to be psychologically, emotionally or even physically damaging.
All that article actually quotes the Government on is 'appearance-based discrimination', including body weight discrimination. I would agree that appearance-based discrimination is a bad thing. The rest strikes me as potential media spin.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TurboCretin
All that article actually quotes the Government on is 'appearance-based discrimination', including body weight discrimination. I would agree that appearance-based discrimination is a bad thing. The rest strikes me as potential media spin.

So its ok to bully homos/puffs,dyslexics,poor people and people with BO?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by Ps3SuperSRG

Homosexuals, yes, as they are abhorrent in the eyes of God. Dyslexics and poor people, no. It is not the fault of an individual if he has dyslexia, and if he is poor then he may not be to blame, so bullying them should be condemned.

The overweight, however, have made their choice and have callously and selfishly decided to indulge in their perverse fantasy of limitless gluttony at the expense of others.

This is of course exemplified in much detail in Dante's "Divine Comedy", wherein the gluttons are condemned to the third circle of hell. I believe that there is no excuse to be a member of the overweight underbelly of society.

Er, no. We're talking specifically about the legality of name-calling here, not whether or not it's generally 'okay' to bully people. The assertion by the author of that article is that calling someone 'fatty' will henceforth be a hate crime, and that's not directly substantiated in the article by any source whatsoever.
(edited 11 years ago)
In that case i don't think that any name calling should b illegal, maybe frowned upon in society if bad enough.

Calling someone a fatty being a hate crime. Wouldn't go that far. I don't think people who bully fat people do it out of hate.

In that case i don't think that any name calling should b illegal, maybe frowned upon in society if bad enough.

Calling someone a fatty being a hate crime. Wouldn't go that far. I don't think people who bully fat people do it out of hate.

True, they in fact do it out of necessity. How else can a fat person be informed of his own depravity?
Original post by MacCuishy

the guy saying it aint 6% body fat either. hehe
True, they in fact do it out of necessity. How else can a fat person be informed of his own depravity?

I hope that is sarcasm but you can never tell these days.

As for fat people, its not always their fault especially if they were are overweight since childhood that is 100% the parents fault bad habits from childhood are the leading cause of a high body fat percentage anything over 35% is getting very dangerous.
Original post by MacCuishy

Now that is a good meme.
I originally interpreted the thread title as "MPs want to make obese/fat people a hate crime" :teehee:
Original post by Tahooper
I originally interpreted the thread title as "MPs want to make obese/fat people a hate crime" :teehee:

This is of course amusing due to the fact that fat "people" cannot really be considered people at all.
This is of course amusing due to the fact that fat "people" cannot really be considered people at all.

Oh you :h:

Why can they not be considered human?
Original post by Akbar2k7
I hope that is sarcasm but you can never tell these days.

As for fat people, its not always their fault especially if they were are overweight since childhood that is 100% the parents fault bad habits from childhood are the leading cause of a high body fat percentage anything over 35% is getting very dangerous.

It is sincerity, and I disagree. It almost always is the fault of the person, because as we have seen many times in the media, obese people can work hard to reduce their weight to an acceptable size, and prevent themselves from becoming filthy fatties.
Reply 119
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/japan/091109/fat-japan-youre-breaking-the-law

as much as i dislike some of their policies... they know how to deal with the fat f*cks who steal all the pie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending