The Student Room Group

P.E in school, how did it make you feel?

Hey guys,

I'm doing a masters and I'm researching people's experiences with P.E in school - I know many of us hated it! Did you try and get out of it with excuses? How did it make you feel? I'd love to hear about your experiences. Please feel free to DM if you'd prefer to chat in confidence :smile:
Well in one year around 80 odd girls were split into 4 groups. 3 were around like 24/25 girls but then you had a group with only 3 :dontknow:

I was in that group of 3, we followed a different P.E plan than the rest of the year. Whilst they did like Netball we would be running on a treadmill or playing 'tennis' with those plastic rackets you get in primary school lol. It made me really self conscious, they never explained why we were isolated. To be fair, I was a overweight kid (70kg 168 cm) but I was definitely not obese or the biggest in my year group. It ended up giving me bulimia and a hatred for treadmills:colonhash:.

Never tried to get out of it as you would need a signed note from a parent, many in my school faked it but i was too scared of authority to try it.
I wanted to like it - I really like sport. I'm just crap at it. So it was one long series of disappointments, because almost everything we did was the sort of sport where people who are good at it spend all the time with the ball and people who aren't end up either running meaninglessly up and down or standing in the corner bored out of their minds.

The only sport I actually liked in PE was cross country, because although I was rubbish at that too, I was at least doing something and challenging myself. But we only ever did it once a year so the staff could pick the team for the county championship.

Oh, and swimming (at which I was also rubbish, definite theme here). Again, it was set up so I could push myself physically at my level, and I don't think we did it any more once we were older than about 12.
I always hated PE, partially because I'm a poor runner because of a health condition, so always came last in any race and cross country. The bleep test was the bane of my existence, and it got to the point that my PE eventually let me sit out of anything involving running.

By about Year 9, though, the year group was split up into PE groups based on ability and I was in the bottom group with some of my closest friends and a lovely teacher, and after that PE got a lot better. We'd play things like rounders, and PE would be more about team sports, rather than any individual competition, which was so much better. I still dreaded most lessons, but it was much more bearable than it had been previously.

Honestly, one of the things I hated the most was how we'd literally be timed from the time the bell went, and we'd have to run from our previous lesson, across the school to the sports hall, and then get changed within 2 minutes otherwise we'd get a detention. It caused so much stress for so many people. Luckily, our form tutor was the teacher we'd have before PE and we eventually told him and he used to let us leave his lesson early just so we'd escape detention.

So, yeah, definitely my least favourite lesson of the week.
Personally, I quite enjoyed PE until I reached high school, where everyone just wanted to be 'too cool' to do PE. I guess it was because I was used to playing games that when I entered high school, it transitioned from playing to everyone judging how this one person did one thing. My friend, who was also a gym buddy of mine also found that she was 'too cool' for PE, that, as a consequence, I felt a bit odd. I couldn't find comfort in PE because there weren't people who enjoyed is much as I did anymore.
I'd have LOVED this. but only if i was in the group of 3 girls. i hate being around my class in PE. it makes me feel self conscious and TERRIBLE 😞

Original post by Sunfish/Squid
Well in one year around 80 odd girls were split into 4 groups. 3 were around like 24/25 girls but then you had a group with only 3 :dontknow:

I was in that group of 3, we followed a different P.E plan than the rest of the year. Whilst they did like Netball we would be running on a treadmill or playing 'tennis' with those plastic rackets you get in primary school lol. It made me really self conscious, they never explained why we were isolated. To be fair, I was a overweight kid (70kg 168 cm) but I was definitely not obese or the biggest in my year group. It ended up giving me bulimia and a hatred for treadmills:colonhash:.

Never tried to get out of it as you would need a signed note from a parent, many in my school faked it but i was too scared of authority to try it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending