The Student Room Group

Londoners, advise me on areas?

Leytonstone. Borough. Greenwich.(cutty sark area and park) Rotherhithe (heard Bermondsey end and Surrey Quays end ****ing rough, is it safer other side?) and finally Highgate/Archway(obviously nicer but further from river and maybe less character. Also Leytonstone, if I am going further out, has good combo of peace and green space, plus central line.

Bearing in mind I may be living in council
Reply 1
yeah greast
Reply 2
Original post by Chillaxer
Leytonstone. Borough. Greenwich.(cutty sark area and park) Rotherhithe (heard Bermondsey end and Surrey Quays end ****ing rough, is it safer other side?) and finally Highgate/Archway(obviously nicer but further from river and maybe less character. Also Leytonstone, if I am going further out, has good combo of peace and green space, plus central line.

Archway is a bit sketchy at night, but Highgate village is a nice place with a good community feel, with good pubs n shops.
Reply 3
Greenwich is the nicest of those areas I'd have thought but probably also the most expensive.

Rotherhithe definitely has some rough areas, we do some night photography of Canary Wharf from the Rotherhithe area sometimes but I wouldn't want to go and do it alone.
Reply 4
Original post by harreeeee
Archway is a bit sketchy at night, but Highgate village is a nice place with a good community feel, with good pubs n shops.

Yeah, I guess I mean futher up Archway road, towards higgate tube, then left up the hill, then going off highgate hill further west again..some beat streets there, and more character tha hampstead tbh.
Reply 5
Original post by 86501
Greenwich is the nicest of those areas I'd have thought but probably also the most expensive.

Rotherhithe definitely has some rough areas, we do some night photography of Canary Wharf from the Rotherhithe area sometimes but I wouldn't want to go and do it alone.

Right. I know the deptford side is to be avoided tbh, and so is the bermondsey side. There;s a flat come up off the top end of Lower Road, I know some bad **** is south of Jamaica Rd and has happened further down lower rod, this is nearer Rotherhithe tube. It doesn't seem to have a notable gang presence like Bermondsey but dunno, maybe **** still goes down there. Just attracted by the locaation, Green Space, and differentness of it really. I thought about Wapping too, people say bad things about the Shadwell end, at night. It's also nest to the financial district which closes at night, but it's got a nice riverised location, delis/pubs.shop etc. apparently theres' opne estate gang there I think. Not sure if they still exist. It doesn't seemt ha abd for crime to me and has a peace about it. Bermondsey just seems like a big no. Anyone know Borough?

What appealed about the location in Leytonstone is the east end character, the central line to where I want to go, quick. The much larger green space than most bits of London on my doorstep, nice vicotrian properties, and there seems a bit of a buzz nearer the tube, dunno how rough it is but it seems the particular area I'm looking at very low on gangs for London. (This is from a gang site) Of course, I suppose gnag stuff may be internal, and maybe there are other things you need to look at to indicate safety...young kids, council housed families etc.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&oe=utf-8&gl=uk&q=e11+1nl&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x47d8a766216d629b:0xbd8794dc1492685b,London+E11+1NL&gl=uk&ei=-JDGT-nwGOiQ0AWM4P3uBQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&ved=0CGsQtgM

There's two of them. With Greenwich I'd be looking around Cutty Sark and east/Ne of the park. Or high street, near there. I like it there a lot.
Borough I don't know. Seems it's srurrounded by **** but has character.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Peckham's got a lovely combination of drug dealers, prostitutes, and gangmembers... something for everyone, even the kids!
Reply 7
Being serious.
I'd pick Greenwich personally, as you've not far to travel and it's not likely to be as 'rough' as Rotherhithe - in saying that, you can never tell and Archway or Greenwich could be just as dangerous depending on whereabouts you are. I wasn't living too far from the Surray Quays area last summer and, yes, it had its' dodgy moments, but I found it fine as long as I kept my wits about me! That's just me though, and I definitely wouldn't recommend living somewhere long-term that you didn't feel comfortable in, particularly if you're living alone/haven't met your flatmates yet.
Reply 9

Surrey Quays isn't bad at all. Try Canada Water maybe. Highgate is also lovely, although a tad pricey.
Try further East .. Charlton and Woolwich?

Woolwich has its reputation for being a ****hole, but I don't think it's too bad .. lived here for years and the only problems I've seen in those years was 2 weeks ago when a ****load of Somalians started knocking hell out of each other outside KFC.
Reply 11
Original post by thecoolcat
Surrey Quays isn't bad at all. Try Canada Water maybe. Highgate is also lovely, although a tad pricey.

Off Lower Rd, near the tube, was where that boy got battered to death on that estate, and there as wtiness intimidation. I just get he impression Bermondsey and towards there is brutal, but Rotherhithe and further round by the river seems better, that said this really dodgy sex killer lived in Rotherhithe in a posh flat.

I wasn't really thiking Archway tbh. I really like how Highgate goes up the hill and up Archway road, you get a dramatic view of the city there. However you get that in Greenwivch and proximity to the river, and a park.
Reply 12
Original post by AnnaChristina
I'd pick Greenwich personally, as you've not far to travel and it's not likely to be as 'rough' as Rotherhithe - in saying that, you can never tell and Archway or Greenwich could be just as dangerous depending on whereabouts you are. I wasn't living too far from the Surray Quays area last summer and, yes, it had its' dodgy moments, but I found it fine as long as I kept my wits about me! That's just me though, and I definitely wouldn't recommend living somewhere long-term that you didn't feel comfortable in, particularly if you're living alone/haven't met your flatmates yet.

I'm living alone. I'm thinking of the area around Cutty Sark, though there probs is pricey bits. There are some nice council places in Highgate that are not mass estates. Not sure about whether this is the case in Greenwich. I do like the separate feel and it's uniqueness, plus the observatory and museum.
Reply 13
In all seriousness, I don't know your budget but Camden isn't bad, very student-y. Close to the center and regents park too. On a bike you could get anywhere without too much trouble...
Reply 14
Not really looking at Camden, for my age and it's not right anyway. Either want more nearer the river or quiter maybe
Not really looking at Camden, for my age and it's not right anyway. Either want more nearer the river or quiter maybe

Okay, right. I'm completely ****ed off my tits on ecstasy but I will say; without doubt Canada Water is the perfect place (I'm staying there with my friends at the moment) and it's close to central, close to the east end and very safe and scenic. ALSO, it's not TOO expensive. (I pay around 115 for a single bedroom)
Reply 16
Original post by thecoolcat
Okay, right. I'm completely ****ed off my tits on ecstasy but I will say; without doubt Canada Water is the perfect place (I'm staying there with my friends at the moment) and it's close to central, close to the east end and very safe and scenic. ALSO, it's not TOO expensive. (I pay around 115 for a single bedroom)

Better than Wapping, Isle of Dogs, or Greenwich? And Do you include Rotherhithe in your recommendation?

It's just I have hearf of bad **** going down there, and a closed community who te police and witnesses are scared of.
It pretty much comes down to what your budget is.

Give us a number we will give an area.
Better than Wapping, Isle of Dogs, or Greenwich? And Do you include Rotherhithe in your recommendation?

It's just I have hearf of bad **** going down there, and a closed community who te police and witnesses are scared of.

I quite like Rotherhite. There are some chavs around, although they just keep themselves to themselves really. If you can find somewhere relatively close to Surrey Quays station I'd say there's not much to worry about at all. I've not been to Wapping or Isle of Dogs but it's not quite as nice as Greenwich but I'd imagine it to be a lot cheaper... 24 hour Tesco in Surrey Quays is also a massive bonus!

Quick Reply

Latest