The Student Room Group

Urgent ucas advice

Hello everyone,

I am student at the University of Greenwich, studying Maths and Computer Science and I am in year one. However, I did not want to come here.

When I was supposed To apply to university, I did not apply because I wanted to take a gap year.

I sat my A-levels in summer 2023 and in the summer while waiting for my results, I changed my mind and wanted to go to university - wherever there was free space.

I got my results and they were not great...CCD (Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science respectively.)

Throughout my A-level Studies, I had always been a great student in class - and even in the mocks I got higher grades - something like B in the last mocks before the real exams.

There were some extenuating circumstances that affected me during my studies of year 13 and just right when the exam period started.

I am going to re-sit my exams in summer 2024 and apply to university because I am not happy with Greenwich.

I am almost sending my application to UCAS, but I want to make sure that everything is right.

My college where I did my A-levels gave me new predictions to apply to university again, which are ABB (Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science respectively.)

I want to apply to top universities and for that I need higher grades. So, I wanted to and do mock exams in a private exam centre to get higher predicted grades based on that.

However, my college advised me not to do that: firstly, because universities will look at my grades that I already got last summer and if my new predicted grades are really high - they will see something wrong and they will be suspicious about it. and they are saying that my chances are lowering this way. secondly, I cannot have two referees - because I wanted to just get a higher grade for further maths. They said I would have to unrelease myself from them and go to a private exam centre, but how is the exam centre going to write my reference if they don't know me academically? And I am happy with my reference from my college.

P.S - I am eligible for contextual offers.

I have decided to listen to them and not do that.
However, I am not sure about that.

My choices are:

1. IMPERIAL COLLEGE - MATHEMATICS
2. UCL - COMPUTER SCIENCE
3. KING'S COLLEGE LONDON - MATHEMATICS - accepts transfers
4. LSE - DATA SCIENCE - accept transfers
5. QUEEN MARY UNIVERSITY OF LONDON - COMPUTER SCIENCE AND MATHEMATHICS - accepts transfers

Also, wherever transfers are accepted - shall I transfer to entry from year 2 or shall I just start from year 1?

I have spoken to some exam centres and they are still willing to help - I could sit an exam and get it marked before the UCAS deadline.

What should I do? What is your advice?

Thanks in advance!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 1
Hmmm - loads to unpack here. Unfortunate that you didn’t apply to a couple of places earlier but what is done is done.

Questions if I may:

do you live in London at present? Are you limited to universities in London? Which area of London do you live in?

Would you be happy taking a straight maths degree?

Why continue at your current course if you want to leave? Would it be better to study full time for a levels?

Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Hmmm - loads to unpack here. Unfortunate that you didn’t apply to a couple of places earlier but what is done is done.

Questions if I may:

do you live in London at present? Are you limited to universities in London? Which area of London do you live in?

Why continue at your current course if you want to leave? Would it be better to study full time for a levels?

Yes, I live in London with my parents. My parents want me to stay in London, so I can't go elsewhere. I live in North London.

I love both subjects and enjoy them equally.

I love the subject, but it is not well taught at all at Greenwich. Why would I study full time for a-levels if I already know all the content and studying a maths degree?

Reply 3
hi

I'll think and revert. How could you get a private centre to mark 3 A levels before the deadline - which is Wednesday? This doesn't sound realistic unless you already have something set up?

Did you sit MAT - if so what score? Have you been preparing for STEP exams?
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending