The Student Room Group

The Jubilee, The Brainwashing, The Monarchy - Time to Wake up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexok
We don't still have a monarchy!! ahahah, the queen cant actually do anything, its just all for show and tourism. Or the houses of parliament would be worthless

But we do have a monarchy lol.
Original post by jblackmoustache
Everyone is saying what I think so, i'll just just say that I'm also sick of the BBC's footage of the jubilee. Why is it that we need reminding 300 times every hour?? I'm sick of hearing TV presenters and Newsreaders acting like we're all excited. IT'S NOT NEWS. There are other things happening in the world that are more important!!

In my opinion the Royal Family are just reminders of England's Imperialist past

If you think the BBC is bad, switch on CNN! Irritating American 'anchors' can't stop smiling at all this and pronounce 'monarch' as 'marn-arrch'

URGH. When will this all be over? Tuesday?
Original post by Alexok
We don't still have a monarchy!! ahahah, the queen cant actually do anything, its just all for show and tourism. Or the houses of parliament would be worthless

she can she just chooses not to use her power.
Original post by cl_steele
you cant compare buckingham palace and the Louvre? Ones a palace and a working home for the royal family the other is a world renowned art museum?:s-smilie:

And if we opened up buckingham palace we'd have similar numbers to that of the louvre palace, we wouldn't even need to make it into a museum. The point I was arguing is that not having a monarch would not decrease tourism, infact there's an arguement for a possible increase.
God save the queen
The facist regime
They made you moron
Potential H-Bomb....
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 185
Well for starters, If we weren't a constitutional monarchy, instead of the United Kingdom, it would be the United Republics of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Not so catchy huh.
Reply 186
Original post by Retro.spex
Why is it that people need the monarchy to unite people? I'm quite happy to be proud of living in Britain without needing the monarchy to unite me with my fellow citizens. There are plenty of other things to be proud to be a part of in this country. For me, the monarchy is simply a reminder of Britain's imperialistic past. Although I don't blame the current royal family for the actions of those in the past, I do think that people's opinions on the matter should at least be acknowledged. (E.g. the kohinoor diamond)

Tax payers money which could be much better spent on health services, education and all round efforts to improve the lives of many people in this country. We're far from equal, and the monarchy just encourages and reinforces inequality in my opinion.

Have you not noticed how the community seems to be getting together this Jubilee? Instead of sitting at home being 'united' there are street parties, community activities and opportunities for local groups to get involved within the community and so build the community. And all of this is down to a celebration of the monarchy. Without them uniting us, we wouldn't be united as a community.
Original post by SaySaam
Have you not noticed how the community seems to be getting together this Jubilee? Instead of sitting at home being 'united' there are street parties, community activities and opportunities for local groups to get involved within the community and so build the community. And all of this is down to a celebration of the monarchy. Without them uniting us, we wouldn't be united as a community.

Yes, we would, people just don't seem to realise that there are plenty of other things that can unite us. Clearly you can't see that if you think the monarchy is the only thing which can. If you don't appreciate your fellow citizens for their own merits, that's your problem, not mine.

Just to add, there are plenty of other things which are much less expensive.
Original post by SaySaam

Maybe in england.................
People love the Queen because of Walt Disney.......Allow me to explain.

The queen bolsters tourism. Whatever she has her face on, fat American tourists will buy. Simple economics.

The changing of the guard and Buckingham palace all pull tourists from abroad.

Why do people these tourists love the idea of the queen? Its to do with the whole romanticization of royalty which happens a lot in Disney films. So blame Walt Disney.
Original post by Piglet
Well for starters, If we weren't a constitutional monarchy, instead of the United Kingdom, it would be the United Republics of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Not so catchy huh.

Wouldn't that just be UR? as right now it's abbreviated to UK?
It is a conspiracy, the family are reptilian from the planet Sirius (JOKE)
Reply 192
If having a queen in the country was actually inconvenient then I would say to get rid of the royal family. However there are hardly any cons of having the monarchy and many plus's, firstly we all get holidays for events like this weekend :wink:, secondly it is heratige, and thirdly it brings in lots of tourism which helps the economy.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, the monarchy has hardly any point however isn't a hindrance so why stop it?
Original post by 122025278
86. I think she should be allowed to retire.

She can, like her Uncle gave up the throne, she just doesn't want to, she wants to work for her whole life
They're part of the Illuminati, controlling our economy, orchestrating disasters and so on. People who support them are brainwashed by the media to do so. It's only a select and fortunate few who realise what and who they are.
The 'Queen' wasn't even crowned on the real Stone Of Destiny, so she isn't really our Queen. Do your research people.
Reply 196
Original post by MrHappy_J
she can she just chooses not to use her power.

the greatest power of all
Original post by allthelove
The 'Queen' wasn't even crowned on the real Stone Of Destiny, so she isn't really our Queen. Do your research people.

lol who is then?
Original post by sputum
the greatest power of all

:dontknow:
Original post by MrHappy_J
lol who is then?

Obviously, no-one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending