The Student Room Group

June 12 2012 aqa biology gcse???

Scroll to see replies

Hope everyone does well! I'm sure we'll be fine :smile:

Original post by e16
And also why do things decay?:s-smilie:

Relating to the carbon cycle and animals, the detritus (micro-organisms) and other animals break down and decompose them after they've died. Then the decomposers respire to release more CO2 into the atmosphere. And then for compost and stuff it's warm, moist conditions with plenty of oxygen.
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
Firstly 48 is the correct raised grade boundary for this year. (a*)

Secondly I think an A may be 39 or 36 I cannot remember which. Anyone know?

For Biology, I think it was 39. :smile:
Original post by Dougieowner
Hope everyone does well! I'm sure we'll be fine :smile:

Relating to the carbon cycle and animals, the detritus (micro-organisms) and other animals break down and decompose them after they've died. Then the decomposers respire to release more CO2 into the atmosphere. And then for compost and stuff it's warm, moist conditions with plenty of oxygen.

No, the detritus is the decaying matter, it is the detritivores such as worms and maggots and decomposers such as bacteria and fungi that break the detritus down and take all its nutrients.
Reply 103
Original post by MacCuishy
As all nutrients need to be returned back into the Carbon cycle, otherwise there simply would not be enough to go around

ahh thank you :biggrin:
Reply 104
Firstly 48 is the correct raised grade boundary for this year. (a*)

Secondly I think an A may be 39 or 36 I cannot remember which. Anyone know?

How can it be 48 if each paper is out of 45???
Original post by MacCuishy
No, the detritus is the decaying matter, it is the detritivores such as worms and maggots and decomposers such as bacteria and fungi that break the detritus down and take all its nutrients.

Oh right, sorry about that. :frown:

So it's the detritivores that then respire?
Original post by snowy173
How can it be 48 if each paper is out of 45???

On the new syllabus, they're out of 60.
Oh right, sorry about that. :frown:

So it's the detritivores that then respire?

Nahh, they both respire, both creating heat due to the transfer of energy when respiring
Detritus is organic matter produced by the decomposition of organisms.

It doesn't respire.

detritus is decaying matter, i know that - i was on about detritivores such as worms and maggots
Reply 109
one more question :s ermm so bacteria produces toxins, which makes us feel ill...
Why do viruses make us feel ill? do they produce toxins too or it is because they reproduce inside our cells?
Reply 110
I'm doing it tomorrow! Been doing alot of past papers and studying. So nervous :O
Reply 111
Viruses take over our cells and use our cells to reproduce which causes the cell to eventually burst, releasing all these viruses. The cell damage is what makes us ill.
Original post by e16
one more question :s ermm so bacteria produces toxins, which makes us feel ill...
Why do viruses make us feel ill? do they produce toxins too or it is because they reproduce inside our cells?

I dont think you need to know that - but they take over cells and release toxins.
Reply 113
Original post by e16

its coz they replicate themselves by invading your cells and using the cells machinery to produce loads of copies of themselves - then the cells usually burst, releasing all the new viruses. the cell damage is what makes you feel ill :smile:
Reply 114
For Biology, I think it was 39. :smile:

But I thought those were the grade boundaries for Jan 2012? don't they change it for if it's a different exam, depending on how hard/easy it is?
Reply 115
How many marks will you need for a C?

Got a B in the mock but I'm not feeling confident on it at all! It's so hard to revise subjects you don't like.
Reply 116
I think the agreed grade boundaries are 48/60 for A* for the module (don't know about foundation though).

Apparently to teachers the exam board have raised grade boundaries this year to reduce grade inflation. :angry: lol

I hate AQA wih such a great passion, they just had to change everything the year we do it!

In my mock I got 48%, so I then went through and studied the things I got wrong, and then did it again and got 65%. My prediction's an A*. Haha, this is going to go well.
Reply 117
Also, why have they raised the boundaries, I thought it was supposed to be dependent on the difficulty of the paper.
Reply 118
Is anyone doing the old specification then??
Reply 119
Original post by Crystallouise99
why is drug taking by athletes unethical anyone know ?????
:confused:

okay, i think because a) unfair if people gain advantage by taking drugs, not just through training

and b) because athletes may not be fully informed of the serious risks of the drugs they take.

at least thats what it says in my book :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending