The Student Room Group

American troops: 154 suicides in 155 days

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KickingKat88
Your ignorance is overwhelming. How on earth do you feel yourself in a position to scrutinize the military when you have absolutely no experience of it at all. Oh, let me guess, because he, she told you so. You really have no idea, but I haven't got the time nor the desire to educate you about the military. I doubt your narrow-mindedness would allow for it either.

Plus you are a just a vile person and need to come down a peg or two.

How am I vile? I don't like people who kill other people for a living, no matter what the agenda or reasoning behind it. I find that quite a lovely trait in my opinion.

I find it disgusting how a man who has killed another man deserves respect from his country simply because we share the same piece of land, I didn't ask him to go kill people and give his life away but once his coffins going down my road it's all "CALL HIM A HERO HE DIED FOR YOU!", **** them, I'm not religious, I don't believe God will smite me for it and if God does exist I don't think he'd agree with any type of military career path to earn money, assisting a blood-fuelled war for money? Really? Heroic? It's vile imo. If you join a war out of interest that's even more sick than doing it for money.

Also, why does one have to experience of being in the military to have the rights to scrutinise it??? Surely you don't have to be fighting on the front-line to understand their agenda for being there. Sure they do tough jobs, it's their ****ing choice, they're not conscripts - now that would be tragic, forced to fight and kill others in order to keep your own, I feel for those men.

Lastly, there is no right or wrong in assuming our (or any governments) intentions are, media is a completely controlled source of information, FACT. Media has been altered for many years, propaganda isn't a new strategy that's just popped up it's been around for ages. Why am I an idiot when I read something off the internet and you're not because you hear it on the news channel?

Have I angered a bunch of wedge-head army boys?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
Same applies. I can walk into any company that hires thousands of people and find all sorts of dodgy people, it does not mean everyone at the company or a majority are like that. You can't take 2 or 3 soldiers and judge 100,000 of them by those few men.

You don't really seem to understand the problem of the massive generalization your making.

It is not generalisation.

If a career path has such a low entry requirement it's right to assume it has a higher probability of attracting the less intelligent beings. Considering it offers higher prospects, salary and opportunities than other jobs that require no education e.g. cleaning or cooking burgers, I'd be right to assume that statistically shifts a military career path a few points ahead of the others. Thirdly, most stupid people are stupid and being in the military is more attractive to stupids, so again, statistics say it goes a few points higher. There are lots of other points of reasoning.

So I'd say statistically a lot of the entry-level soldiers or whatever the **** they're called will be stupid people with no brain or education because it seems more attractive career path to them. Why clean a toilet all your life when you can join the army and be something SPECIAL! I SPECIAALLTYL

I don't hear of anyone who's a doctor or lawyer (elite professions) be like "yeah **** it I'm going to join the army from a grass-roots level!". The majority of the militia will be idiots who have got no better career to do. And if you choose the military as a career path out of interest/enjoyment it simply shows you're totally out of touch with your humane side which imo makes you thick. Brainwashed by hero stories and TV ad commercials that make war look interesting, it's a disgusting act, always has been always will be, there's no way to glorify it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Cupid Stunt
It is not generalisation.

If a career path has such a low entry requirement it's right to assume it has a higher probability of attracting the less intelligent beings. Considering it offers higher prospects, salary and opportunities than other jobs that require no education e.g. cleaning or cooking burgers, I'd be right to assume that statistically shifts a military career path a few points ahead of the others. Thirdly, most stupid people are stupid and being in the military is more attractive to stupids, so again, statistics say it goes a few points higher. There are lots of other points of reasoning.

So I'd say statistically a lot of the entry-level soldiers or whatever the **** they're called will be stupid people with no brain or education because it seems more attractive career path to them. Why clean a toilet all your life when you can join the army and be something SPECIAL! I SPECIAALLTYL

I don't hear of anyone who's a doctor or lawyer (elite professions) be like "yeah **** it I'm going to join the army from a grass-roots level!". The majority of the militia will be idiots who have got no better career to do.

Of course its a generalisation you are making huge assumptions not just about the education of these men but the sort people they are based on nothing more than their profession.
There again's your problem. You are assuming most of the military has low entry requirements, plenty of it does not. You are assuming that people who go into the military who don't have much of an education stay that way. They don't, they get trained they do qualifications ect. Most officers in the army are graduates, how does that fit into your little theory about how thick soldiers are?

And again if you are so sure that this is the case that every one in the military is so thick then surely you should be able to get something in the way of proper evidence. Just saying the whole military has low entry requirements (which is wrong) is not enough. I've said it enough times and all you have done is swerve around the issue and bringing up crappy little anecdotes about the odd solider you know which does not mean crap.

Now get some proper statistics about soldiers in the army. Or shut the hell up.
(edited 11 years ago)
How am I vile? I don't like people who kill other people for a living, no matter what the agenda or reasoning behind it. I find that quite a lovely trait in my opinion.

I find it disgusting how a man who has killed another man deserves respect from his country simply because we share the same piece of land, I didn't ask him to go kill people and give his life away but once his coffins going down my road it's all "CALL HIM A HERO HE DIED FOR YOU!", **** them, I'm not religious, I don't believe God will smite me for it and if God does exist I don't think he'd agree with any type of military career path to earn money, assisting a blood-fuelled war for money? Really? Heroic? It's vile imo. If you join a war out of interest that's even more sick than doing it for money.

Also, why does one have to experience of being in the military to have the rights to scrutinise it??? Surely you don't have to be fighting on the front-line to understand their agenda for being there. Sure they do tough jobs, it's their ****ing choice, they're not conscripts - now that would be tragic, forced to fight and kill others in order to keep your own, I feel for those men.

Lastly, there is no right or wrong in assuming our (or any governments) intentions are, media is a completely controlled source of information, FACT. Media has been altered for many years, propaganda isn't a new strategy that's just popped up it's been around for ages. Why am I an idiot when I read something off the internet and you're not because you hear it on the news channel?

Have I angered a bunch of wedge-head army boys?

I will not enter a battle of wit with someone who is unarmed.
It's okay. If trolling on an internet forum makes CS happy, then good for CS. I'm happy in my life in the military.

What's with the ` sandy tents whilst having to take a **** in a hole on the floor with 20 other sex-deprived men holding their guns staring at you` comment about - one of his fantasies?

Oh and the suits, clothes, girlfriend, nice car, nice house, holidays, etc? Plenty of people in the military have that and more. We gain great experiences and experience camaraderie that your average Joe accountant will never experience!

In fact, joining an organisation with such a diverse range of people broadens your mind more than joining say, an accountany firm!

Enjoy working behind a desk for the rest of your days CS!
Experience slaughtering other men, LOLNICE! I'm not the average Joe accountant, I'm a ****ing rare spectacle of a human being - My face even shines an aura of amazement, you are just a boring soldier which we've had roaming the earth since caveman days (probably with grubby face), you have not evolved at all, you're still stuck in the mindset of an average human-being.

I'd rather be happy trolling than posting seriously on the internet looking for recognition and acceptance - THAT, is miles more depressing than what I do.

If I want to engage with a diverse range of people I won't join the army, lol! That isn't the only way to experience diverse people (kind of ironic since your job involves killing people). Like I said in another post, it's pretty disgusting that you would choose a career which causes or at least attributes to the death of other humans just for 'great experiences and experience camaraderie'... ADMIRABLE!

Seriously, I'm fine sat behind a desk (I actually get paid to travel with my job now), so yeah, at least I can have a **** behind my desk, you can't when you have 20 big men holding their guns whilst you take a poo poo next to your sand infested G.I. Joe tent.

People with a family/wife/children who join the army disgust me even more so, time is precious and you waste it on a career which involve abstinence from your family for long periods of time, just to earn a ****ty salary - wouldn't even consider any job that involves that because it's the lifestyle of a fool.

Why don't you become a journalist or something and travel the world, see better things etc. Not kill people?
Experience slaughtering other men, LOLNICE! I'm not the average Joe accountant, I'm a ****ing rare spectacle of a human being - My face even shines an aura of amazement, you are just a boring soldier which we've had roaming the earth since caveman days (probably with grubby face), you have not evolved at all, you're still stuck in the mindset of an average human-being.

I'd rather be happy trolling than posting seriously on the internet looking for recognition and acceptance - THAT, is miles more depressing than what I do.

If I want to engage with a diverse range of people I won't join the army, lol! That isn't the only way to experience diverse people (kind of ironic since your job involves killing people). Like I said in another post, it's pretty disgusting that you would choose a career which causes or at least attributes to the death of other humans just for 'great experiences and experience camaraderie'... ADMIRABLE!

Seriously, I'm fine sat behind a desk (I actually get paid to travel with my job now), so yeah, at least I can have a **** behind my desk, you can't when you have 20 big men holding their guns whilst you take a poo poo next to your sand infested G.I. Joe tent.

People with a family/wife/children who join the army disgust me even more so, time is precious and you waste it on a career which involve abstinence from your family for long periods of time, just to earn a ****ty salary - wouldn't even consider any job that involves that because it's the lifestyle of a fool.

Why don't you become a journalist or something and travel the world, see better things etc. Not kill people?

Yawwwn.

FYI I'm not employed by the military but involved within some of the operations. You really have no idea and your emotive and derogatory language just makes you look like a fool. I'm glad you are happy as an account, really, I am. Thankfully humankind is a diverse and colourful species and not everyone wants to do the same thing. Also, to be a front line soldier takes a very specific sort of person. Sure, many people have probably signed up in the infantry and done a tour and probably been discharged soon after. It takes more than that to maintain a career in the infantry and do several tours. So your 'average pikey' is not the right candidate, guaranteed.

Your values are clearly very different from mine though, you life may be in abundance of luxuries, but I can make an intelligent guess from your troll dog posts that you are not a very well rounded person.

Bore off.
Reply 67
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
Not necessarily, I'm sure the suicide rate amongst those defending their lands isn't high (even though they actually employ suicide as a technique to fight the enemy)..

Well considering that recently it was discovered that the US military is teaching soldiers to wage war against Islam and all Muslims, then its pretty hard not to be ''biased''

Well they are all taught that a total war against all 1.4 billion Muslims is necessary (and this is in the public domain, imagine what is being covered up!)..

What xXxiKillxXx is saying actually makes sense but some people I guess are just too stubborn to believe it and accept the true reality! :frown::frown: by going to war nd killing innocent People whether it's Muslims or whoever (which is happening at he moment), your obviously going to suffer post war physiological issues cos you've killed PEOPLE! And you can go on and talk about it not being their fault or them fighting for their I country but that's not the truth of it. The ugly truth is that their simply fighting for oil and other silly resources and are victims of being tricked by the government. Simples.
Original post by KickingKat88
Yawwwn.

FYI I'm not employed by the military but involved within some of the operations. You really have no idea and your emotive and derogatory language just makes you look like a fool. I'm glad you are happy as an account, really, I am. Thankfully humankind is a diverse and colourful species and not everyone wants to do the same thing. Also, to be a front line soldier takes a very specific sort of person. Sure, many people have probably signed up in the infantry and done a tour and probably been discharged soon after. It takes more than that to maintain a career in the infantry and do several tours. So your 'average pikey' is not the right candidate, guaranteed.

Your values are clearly very different from mine though, you life may be in abundance of luxuries, but I can make an intelligent guess from your troll dog posts that you are not a very well rounded person.

Bore off.

The guy you were replying to is bit of a knob but he is correct.

Besides, what kind of psychopath chooses to do numerous "tours" on the front line? Probably ones like that unruly1986 guy, who seems to feel that camaraderie and meeting a diverse range of people makes up for the fact that his job is to put bullets in the heads of farmers. Strong psycho.

It does amuse me how people like to pretend that today's G.I. Joe wannabes are of the same cloth as our forefathers who suffered conscription to defend our country. What a joke.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom

Besides, what kind of psychopath chooses to do numerous "tours" on the front line? Probably ones like that unruly1986 guy, who seems to feel that camaraderie and meeting a diverse range of people makes up for the fact that his job is to put bullets in the heads of farmers. Strong psycho.

It does amuse me how people like to pretend that today's G.I. Joe wannabes are of the same cloth as our forefathers who suffered conscription to defend our country. What a joke.

FYI I've never shot at anyone, especially farmers. You do realise that there are elements of the military who's role it is to actually SAVE lives, don't you?

Also, I'm not a psychopath. Thank you.
Taliban doing work I guess
Original post by KimKallstrom

Doesn't make them a psychopath, and the fact that you seem to think they want to do it just to "put bullets in the heads of farmers" shows you are missing point.
I wouldn't say soldiers now are comparable to those from our grandparents or great grandparents generation since times are different etc etc.

Also I don't quite see why you felt the need to revive a pretty old thread to make such a weak and uninformed post.
Reply 72
If it wasn't for the army, then you civvys wouldn't be speaking english you idiot, so pay some respect.
Well they go away and risk their life to fight a pointless war for countries who couldn't care less about them.

I do feel sorry for them because I'm sure most sign up for the right reasons,however it is important to remember that they weren't conscripted.
Original post by Blazinq
If it wasn't for the army, then you civvys wouldn't be speaking english you idiot, so pay some respect.

Truly hilarious attitude.

You've just summed up why people think soldiers are dickheads.

I have respect for the young men conscripted to fight for us in meaningful wars.

I have no respect other than what I would usually grant any human for someone just because they're in the army in 2012.
Reply 75
Original post by Scumbaggio
Truly hilarious attitude.

You've just summed up why people think soldiers are dickheads.

I have respect for the young men conscripted to fight for us in meaningful wars.

I have no respect other than what I would usually grant any human for someone just because they're in the army in 2012.

I'm not a soldier though?:colonhash:

Meaningful war? We're helping to train the afghan army to be able to handle the taliban, how is that not meaningful?

If anything it should be the people keeping us in afghan, who you shouldn't respect, not people who are risking their lives, risking the chance of getting tortured or blown to bits, and living in harsh conditions.
Original post by Blazinq
I'm not a soldier though?:colonhash:

Meaningful war? We're helping to train the afghan army to be able to handle the taliban, how is that not meaningful?

If anything it should be the people keeping us in afghan, who you shouldn't respect, not people who are risking their lives, risking the chance of getting tortured or blown to bits, and living in harsh conditions.

How many miles is Afghanistan from the UK? hardly going to invade us any time soon.

Again they ultimately chose to go there and do that and they get paid.

I'm not saying it isn't admirable or brave but it isn't exactly in the same league as a 14 year old conscript getting shot to pieces in a trench.

I had a mate who went to Afghanistan, he said there was a burger king and a subway there and spent most of the 5 years he was in the army in Germany.

Really harsh conditions.
Reply 77
And we care about the welfare of the personnel of the military of another country because?
Reply 78
Original post by Scumbaggio
... they ultimately chose to go there and do that and they get paid.
I'm not saying it isn't admirable or brave but it isn't exactly in the same league as a 14 year old conscript getting shot to pieces in a trench.

So someone volunteering for service in one era is different from someone volunteering in another one?

Because that's what the 14yr olds in the trenches did. Conscription age was 18. Anyone under that age went to the recruiting centre and lied about their age to get in. They volunteered. And they were paid for their service.

Really fail to see how there's such a difference.

If anything, it could be argued that the current crop of servicemen who join up despite a far stronger anti-Forces feeling in the world than between 1914-1918 are showing greater courage than those who joined because all their friends were doing or because they were expected to.
Reply 79
http://www.designboom.com/cms/images/fiona005/sebastian005.jpg

This is quite a powerful picture, I think. War is heartbreaking and affects troops in so many ways. Killing isn't healthy, no matter what the reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending