The Student Room Group

How do you know if you're good enough to study science as levels?

I predict I'm an A*- B student (haven't received any results yet). In year 10 I was put into the foundation tier for science for some reason. I achieved full ums in biology, chemistry and physics.

In year 11 I begged them to put me into higher tier and attained three A*'s in all the mocks. The biology and chemistry courses I'm looking to apply have loads of practical assessments.

I've never liked practicals and we were hardly ever given the chance to do practicals in school so I'm REALLY inexperienced and think I'll probably fail at them. My school doesn't have a high pass rate and no one I know in my year is taking biology and chemistry a levels so I won't know anyone and would be really nervous.

I'm an A* student in the artsy subjects like English and RE but I hate essays and don't particularly like those subjects either, I know after uni it'll be really difficult to find employment with them in comparison to science subjects. If I eliminated sciences from my A-levels I'm stuck with the arts and see no direction in life but put them down as my choices as I have no other choice...

Will the A levels be too hard? Am I even good enough to study them? Will I be taught from scratch about practical equipment (worries me the most) as I know NOTHING. Everyone I know says how chemistry and biology are the hardest a levels around and I don't think I'll understand a single word. What would you say from experience? Should I start teaching myself the syllabus over the holidays to gain a head start or learn unit 3 from triple science (only did dual award) to gain a further understanding?

Sorry this was long, I've just been really confused for a long time.
Reply 1
I think you're absolutely good enough!
If you're achieving A*s then you really definitely can!
I had two A*s and an A in my science GCSEs, so you're beating me. I took biology and chemistry as my AS science subjects.

Chemistry:
For GCSE, i had bad teaching so i had biggggg gaps in my knowledge and went into an AS chemistry class with a bad teacher again. Personally, i find it really hard. There's lots of maths and equations involved, but in the long term, if you manage to get a grade in it then it opens up a lot more doors for you than biology. However, if you're feeling pretty solid on your GCSE stuff then i think you'll manage! I went in with little confidence which i think was a big error, as i immediately assumed i couldn't do it. I also didn't really enjoy it at GCSE, and i obviously therefore didnt enjoy it at AS, so then that doesn't give me the best attitude either. If you go in with a good attidtude and are willing to put the extra time in with teachers, going over things you don't understand and asking questions, then sure, you'll manage!:smile: Just think about whether you'd trust your teacher in your A Levels to be teaching you well. In my case, i think you need all the support you can to do chemistry...but everyone's different! (I had an A at GCSE, you had an A*, so you're already in better stead than me!) My brother had a B in GCSE and had a B in A-level and loved it! A lot of people don't find it as hard as i do. If you enjoy it and think you'll put the work in, then go for it. :smile:

Biology:
Here's the difference...I LOVED my GCSE biology teacher and loved the subject and everything about it, so i had an A* in this at GCSE. I'm going on to do it at A level, so seeing as i haven't done it yet, i can't tell you about that part! But for AS, it's definitely easier than chemistry. I too was good at the artsy stuff like english. Biology is more of an 'artsy-science' subject than chemistry (sounds stupid, sorry, haha). You cover a broad range of things and really the textbooks they give you are a lot more helpful, as the content of biology can be spelled out and explained much more easily than chemistry content can. My biology teachers are good, (so you make sure to check yours,) but their teaching style is really boring, but because i love the subject so much, i can put up with it and still learn a lot. Just like chemistry, as long as you have the right attitude you'll definitely manage. I would definitely reccomend biology...it's awesome, ahah :biggrin:

Biology is more just understanding things in depth. Chemistry is definitely more of using the knowledge you've gained to work stuff out. I've found with biology, even if you don't understand something 100%, you can kind of just memorise a lot of it and still do well! If you don't understand something in chemistry, then you really can't do so well. I had an A at AS Biol and a D at AS Chem.

Don't worry about practicals! I haven't done very many this year atall...(i'm on WJEC exam board.) In GCSE i was the one who'd step back and let everyone else do it and i'd do as little as possible, as i was really out of my comfort zone. They still give you really indepth stages as to what to do in the pracs, and your teachers and fellow students will still be there to ask for help. I did fine, you will too.Don't worry about not knowing anyone either. I moved schools for sixth form, so i went in knowing nobody too, but don't worry, everyone feels the nerves about whether being able to cope and when you get into the lessons, you'll all be asking eachother for help so you'll soon make friends! You're all in it together :wink:
You could do some extra reading over the summer but i don't think you really have to. If it'll help your confidence then why not! :smile:

If you're an A* student who can't do Alevel sciences, then who can?! You'll be fine! Go for it:smile:
I think that the jump from GCSE to A levels is particularly difficult in science, maths and languages, from what I've learned over the years. Unfortunately, a few years ago my daughter's school chose to do the 21st century science syllabus and this was inadequate preparation for further study. She has done very well at A level, despite this, although still finds chemistry rather challenging at times. Many of her peers got A* at GCSE and really found it quite tough at AS and A2. The science teachers actually asked parents to complain to the head teacher about the choice of syllabus, as they weren't happy to be using it either! I suppose it was all about league tables, and the head didn't care about A levels, just about getting as many A-Cs as possible. In the same way, schools still 'shop around' to find what's perceived as easier exam boards for A levels.

If you enjoy science and think they will be useful for your future, then go for it. I think it's a great idea to read ahead over the summer break. Good luck!
Reply 3
Thanks for both your inputs that's really given me a clearer sense of what A levels I want to do now as I've always been really indecisive, loved the top answer! +rep for both
Reply 4
I achieved A*s in all three sciences at GCSE (though I don't study physics at AS). The first few months were a real shock because it is a big jump, but I managed to get As in both my chemistry and biology mock exam and think the actual exams went quite well. But there are also people who got similar grades to me at GCSE and aren't doing nearly as well either because they don't put in enough work or don't ask when they don't understand something.

There are always going to be areas you're not so sure about (unless you're just really good at the subjects, and in that case, good for you) and the important thing is that you find a teacher or friend who understands and get them to explain, especially since things tend to build on from previous topics in sciences. In the end, it depends more on whether you have the motivation to work hard and if you can get the A* grade at GCSE you are definitely "good enough" to take them to A2.

Can't say much about the practical part because I don't know whether you'll have the same exam board as I do, but check the online specification to see what they require and if there isn't much information online you can always email your college and ask.

Wow, rambled on a bit there, but I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest