The Student Room Group

Is it bad to finish a-levels at the age of 20 but

will be 21 when receiving results and going to Uni?
My parents are being horrible about it and I’ve also decided to stick with my a-levels and add a level bio and re taking gcse double science for diagnostic radiography.
I do psych, socio and rs. should i drop RS or just continue as ive paid for the course anyway with oxbridge home learning and always get As & Bs in assignments?
im not naturally smart whatsoever but im interested in both psychology & sociology and i love the idea of studying bio as i love it, and for RS its ok at times 😂. however, im scared about the mark schemes etc for biology and the workload i’ll have but im hoping to start the a-level bio & science in september and take the gcse science in the summer and my a levels the summer after to save stress for the second year content. cos i’ll be finishing my other 3 a level year 12 content in october/ november and will just revise year 12 content whilst studying year 12 bio & double science (and revising them ofc).
then after my science exams, i’ll then start year 13 content for the 3 a-levels and then start the yr 13 content for bio in september. it’s going to be a lot of workload especially for Bio which im aware of.
does anyone know if this plan is doable?
i feel utterly old 🫤 and also my parents are always criticising me
or should i drop RS as it’s irrelevant to my course anyway ?
or i could do AS RS this summer? that would be possible? probably would get like a C though but at least it’s a qualification and i don’t have to do the year 13 content but universities don’t care about AS do they ?
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelstudent090
will be 21 when receiving results and going to Uni?
My parents are being horrible about it and I’ve also decided to stick with my a-levels and add a level bio and re taking gcse double science for diagnostic radiography.
I do psych, socio and rs. should i drop RS or just continue as ive paid for the course anyway with oxbridge home learning and always get As & Bs in assignments?
im not naturally smart whatsoever but im interested in both psychology & sociology and i love the idea of studying bio as i love it, and for RS its ok at times 😂. however, im scared about the mark schemes etc for biology and the workload i’ll have but im hoping to start the a-level bio & science in september and take the gcse science in the summer and my a levels the summer after to save stress for the second year content. cos i’ll be finishing my other 3 a level year 12 content in october/ november and will just revise year 12 content whilst studying year 12 bio & double science (and revising them ofc).
then after my science exams, i’ll then start year 13 content for the 3 a-levels and then start the yr 13 content for bio in september. it’s going to be a lot of workload especially for Bio which im aware of.
or i could do AS RS this summer? that would be possible? probably would get like a C though but at least it’s a qualification and i don’t have to do the year 13 content but universities don’t care about AS do they ?

What are the entry requirements for the specific degrees that you're looking to apply for?
At certain universities, they consider psychology a science, so you don't really need to go out of your want to do so many A Levels.
Do also note that GCSE science is not required for many of these degrees, only that you have adequate grades for English Language and Maths.
Taking unnecessary qualifications on top of what you have for the degrees that you want is going to take away more of your time and effort than required.

Doing 4 A Levels at once is doable, but tough especially for a relatively difficult content heavy subject like Biology.

Whilst I can see where they are coming with this, note that if you're dead set on diagnostic radiography that's your business not theirs.
There is no real set age limit to when you should be at uni. Some people past 21 go back to uni to finish off their degree, to do more degrees, or to start theirs. What most people don't like is you to be undecisive and waste what time you and they have.

You would typically need 3 A Levels or equivalent at specific grades. Other than the science subject requirement (any science, which can possibly include psychology), you need 2 more A Levels at high enough grades for the degrees of your choice. As I don't know which specific universities you're applying at, I can't say what grade you need it to be in.
Dropping RS is up to you. However, if you can't get the 3 full A Levels that you need, then you will have a hard time getting in for diagnostic radiography at any uni.

i could do AS RS this summer? that would be possible?
You can do this should you wish, but I am not sure whether you would be able to handle the workload. The more important aspect of the qualification is the grade.

universities don’t care about AS do they ?
It depends on what it specifically says in the entry requirements. If it says they accept ASs and they're fine with RS, then it counts even if it's in an irrelevant subject. If they don't, then no.
Original post by MindMax2000
What are the entry requirements for the specific degrees that you're looking to apply for?
At certain universities, they consider psychology a science, so you don't really need to go out of your want to do so many A Levels.
Do also note that GCSE science is not required for many of these degrees, only that you have adequate grades for English Language and Maths.
Taking unnecessary qualifications on top of what you have for the degrees that you want is going to take away more of your time and effort than required.

Doing 4 A Levels at once is doable, but tough especially for a relatively difficult content heavy subject like Biology.

Whilst I can see where they are coming with this, note that if you're dead set on diagnostic radiography that's your business not theirs.
There is no real set age limit to when you should be at uni. Some people past 21 go back to uni to finish off their degree, to do more degrees, or to start theirs. What most people don't like is you to be undecisive and waste what time you and they have.

You would typically need 3 A Levels or equivalent at specific grades. Other than the science subject requirement (any science, which can possibly include psychology), you need 2 more A Levels at high enough grades for the degrees of your choice. As I don't know which specific universities you're applying at, I can't say what grade you need it to be in.
Dropping RS is up to you. However, if you can't get the 3 full A Levels that you need, then you will have a hard time getting in for diagnostic radiography at any uni.

i could do AS RS this summer? that would be possible?
You can do this should you wish, but I am not sure whether you would be able to handle the workload. The more important aspect of the qualification is the grade.

universities don’t care about AS do they ?
It depends on what it specifically says in the entry requirements. If it says they accept ASs and they're fine with RS, then it counts even if it's in an irrelevant subject. If they don't, then no.

hi, it’s just i won’t be finishing my 3 a-level content in time unfortunately for the 2024 exams and i’ve decided to do them in 2025 but i’m still doing well in terms of understanding and being motivated but i should have planned my time better especially as i have a job too.
i thought that most unis didn’t accept psychology as a science but maybe some do. i just thought taking biology would give more options. i also thought that GCSE science would be a requirement for diagnostic radiography because it’s a science-based degree.
i was just considering doing psychology, sociology and biology instead of religious studies and dropping that. but if psychology is accepted in unis as a science then i’ll continue with my original a-levels and do the exams in 2025 still to make sure i’m all relaxed and less stressed. i’m also not being undeceive?
i don’t really mind on the university i choose but would like to pick 5 to give more chance of getting in but i’d rather go to a nice one still.
thank you! i’ll either just stick with RS or swap to biology dependent on whatever is best?
(edited 8 months ago)
Lots to unpack in your post, here we go:

It's OK to finish A-Levels when you're 20 and to be 21 when going to uni. Yes, most people finish A-Levels and go to uni at age 18 but obviously there was a reason why that wasn't the case for you and that's completely fine. What's important is that you're actually doing A-Levels and chasing your dreams. I'm so sorry your parents are being horrible when they should be being supportive :frown: but don't let them bring you down Maybe try talking to them, tell them that you're doing this with or without them and so they can either support you or shut up.

You shouldn't drop RS because you will need to have sat 3 A-Levels to go to uni! You might change it if you think you'll like another A-Level more though! Practice and studying RS will probably make you increase your marks over time too. Edit: just realised you're taking 4 A-Levels total. Absolutely drop one if you don't fancy doing it. 4 A-Levels will only bring you more workload and no advantage whatsoever.

Mark schemes... they can be incredibly pedantic sometimes (I remember once losing a mark for using a word not in the specifications. The name was correct, but not what the exam board wanted so puff, one mark gone). But it's a case of practicing questions and looking at the mark schemes and you'll eventually get the hang of them :smile:

It seems like you have a plan to do it all! Doing GCSE double science and A-Level Biology will help you a little in the sense that your A-Level Biology will effectively cover GCSE stuff and then some more, and then the Chemistry bit of double-science will help you on the biochemistry side of Biology. They'll help each other, in a way. Your first year revising both A-Levels and GCSE content will still be a bit of a challenge, but I think doable - hopefully somebody who has done what you suggest will reply and confirm it.

You're not old! Honestly, nobody will tell or care about your age at university and you'll see that when you're a "young adult", age is but an illusion :biggrin:

Again, sorry about your parents, but don't let them get to you. You're doing what you want to do and that's mighty fine of you, don't let anybody stop you.

As I previously said, you need 3 A-Levels for university so you cannot drop RS and do 2 A-Levels. You can change it if you wish! See the entry requirements for diagnostic radiography to see if any university has a particular requirement for specific A-Levels, but I think they only want a science or two and you can do what you wish for the third one - but please check online on each uni's course website.

Don't do AS exams. Universities truly don't care about them, just the real A-Levels. That's why it's increasingly uncommon to do AS now - they're to all effects and purposes absolutely useless.

Wish you the best!
(edited 8 months ago)
hi, it’s just i won’t be finishing my 3 a-level content in time unfortunately for the 2024 exams and i’ve decided to do them in 2025 but i’m still doing well in terms of understanding and being motivated but i should have planned my time better especially as i have a job too.
i thought that most unis didn’t accept psychology as a science but maybe some do. i just thought taking biology would give more options. i also thought that GCSE science would be a requirement for diagnostic radiography because it’s a science-based degree.
i was just considering doing psychology, sociology and biology instead of religious studies and dropping that. but if psychology is accepted in unis as a science then i’ll continue with my original a-levels and do the exams in 2025 still to make sure i’m all relaxed and less stressed. i’m also not being undeceive?
i don’t really mind on the university i choose but would like to pick 5 to give more chance of getting in but i’d rather go to a nice one still.
thank you! i’ll either just stick with RS or swap to biology dependent on whatever is best?

i’ll either just stick with RS or swap to biology dependent on whatever is best?
I was not sure whether this was actually a question, because the phrasing doesn't sound like it.
Whether you stick with this or not depends on:

The entry requirements of the specific degrees that you want to do - if they say you need one of the sciences and psychology doesn't fit that definition, then do biology. If they do, then it's up to you

Whether you can get the grade you need with RS

Whether you can get the grade you need with biology

Whether you can get a higher grade in RS or biology

I can't make that decision for you.
Original post by Scotland Yard
Lots to unpack in your post, here we go:

It's OK to finish A-Levels when you're 20 and to be 21 when going to uni. Yes, most people finish A-Levels and go to uni at age 18 but obviously there was a reason why that wasn't the case for you and that's completely fine. What's important is that you're actually doing A-Levels and chasing your dreams. I'm so sorry your parents are being horrible when they should be being supportive :frown: but don't let them bring you down Maybe try talking to them, tell them that you're doing this with or without them and so they can either support you or shut up.

You shouldn't drop RS because you will need to have sat 3 A-Levels to go to uni! You might change it if you think you'll like another A-Level more though! Practice and studying RS will probably make you increase your marks over time too. Edit: just realised you're taking 4 A-Levels total. Absolutely drop one if you don't fancy doing it. 4 A-Levels will only bring you more workload and no advantage whatsoever.

Mark schemes... they can be incredibly pedantic sometimes (I remember once losing a mark for using a word not in the specifications. The name was correct, but not what the exam board wanted so puff, one mark gone). But it's a case of practicing questions and looking at the mark schemes and you'll eventually get the hang of them :smile:

It seems like you have a plan to do it all! Doing GCSE double science and A-Level Biology will help you a little in the sense that your A-Level Biology will effectively cover GCSE stuff and then some more, and then the Chemistry bit of double-science will help you on the biochemistry side of Biology. They'll help each other, in a way. Your first year revising both A-Levels and GCSE content will still be a bit of a challenge, but I think doable - hopefully somebody who has done what you suggest will reply and confirm it.

You're not old! Honestly, nobody will tell or care about your age at university and you'll see that when you're a "young adult", age is but an illusion :biggrin:

Again, sorry about your parents, but don't let them get to you. You're doing what you want to do and that's mighty fine of you, don't let anybody stop you.

As I previously said, you need 3 A-Levels for university so you cannot drop RS and do 2 A-Levels. You can change it if you wish! See the entry requirements for diagnostic radiography to see if any university has a particular requirement for specific A-Levels, but I think they only want a science or two and you can do what you wish for the third one - but please check online on each uni's course website.

Don't do AS exams. Universities truly don't care about them, just the real A-Levels. That's why it's increasingly uncommon to do AS now - they're to all effects and purposes absolutely useless.

Wish you the best!

Hi, thank you for your response and I get why they’re possibly concerned but it is something I want to do and they should be happy so I will have a conversation with them like you suggested and if they don’t support me, I will do it without their support.

Yes, I’ll probably drop RS and add biology (as I haven’t studied that yet as I’ve done my 3 a-levels but going to swap RS with bio). But I’m nervous because of how hard biology will be but it’s worth it.

Thank you, it seems like biology just requires a lot of revision and dedication with remembering the form from the mark schemes.

Hopefully doing both a-levels and the GCSE’s is doable! I’m sure it will be ok and I can book exams closer to the time for the GCSE’s and see if I’m ready for the exams.

Yes, I’m sure there’s a lot of mature students studying diagnostic radiography so it’s all good. I feel more relaxed 😌.

Only a few unis count psychology as science and university of herts counts sociology as a science too so I could just apply there and just do GCSE science still. But then if I get rejected that’s a bit risky.
Most require one science like bio, chem or physics. And they don’t care about the other two subjects.
Thank you so much for your help:smile:
Original post by MindMax2000
i’ll either just stick with RS or swap to biology dependent on whatever is best?
I was not sure whether this was actually a question, because the phrasing doesn't sound like it.
Whether you stick with this or not depends on:

The entry requirements of the specific degrees that you want to do - if they say you need one of the sciences and psychology doesn't fit that definition, then do biology. If they do, then it's up to you

Whether you can get the grade you need with RS

Whether you can get the grade you need with biology

Whether you can get a higher grade in RS or biology

I can't make that decision for you.

Hi!
Thank you for your help and yes, I’ll probably do more research but I’m either sticking with RS or swapping to Biology but will see how many unis accept that.
Only a few unis count psychology as science and university of herts counts sociology as a science too so I could just apply there and just do GCSE science still. But then if I get rejected that’s a bit risky.
Most require one science like bio, chem or physics. And they don’t care about the other two subjects.
Thank you so much for your help:smile:

No problem! One more thing though: you ideally want to apply to as many universities as you can, so ideally choose the A-Levels that will let you apply to a wide range of places instead of only a couple, so basically, take Biology :smile:. It's a fun subject and an excellent choice for you since you want to do diagnostic radiography.
Reply 8
Can’t help with the A level advice, other than 4at a go is hard work. Especially if you are working?

University wise, absolutely loads of people attend in their early 20’s. There are also “mature students” anywhere from 25 to 70. They may be rare in some subjects but a fair few people decide on University after 20 years or more at work.

Medical type degrees will have more over 21’s than many subjects. I know a trainee midwife (mid 40’s) with a married child, one of similar age and a child at school. They are one year off qualifying after a series of admin jobs.
Go for it.
Original post by Scotland Yard
No problem! One more thing though: you ideally want to apply to as many universities as you can, so ideally choose the A-Levels that will let you apply to a wide range of places instead of only a couple, so basically, take Biology :smile:. It's a fun subject and an excellent choice for you since you want to do diagnostic radiography.

Thanks so much :smile: Or just do an access course but unis will look down on me for incomplete courses.

Original post by domonict
Can’t help with the A level advice, other than 4at a go is hard work. Especially if you are working?

University wise, absolutely loads of people attend in their early 20’s. There are also “mature students” anywhere from 25 to 70. They may be rare in some subjects but a fair few people decide on University after 20 years or more at work.

Medical type degrees will have more over 21’s than many subjects. I know a trainee midwife (mid 40’s) with a married child, one of similar age and a child at school. They are one year off qualifying after a series of admin jobs.
Go for it.

No, I’ll probably drop RS hopefully! Or just do an access course but unis will look down on me for incomplete courses.

Yes, thankfully medical degrees are more likely to have older students which is nice. It’s either I have two years of a-levels right now, then go to uni or just stop studying and find a job.
My mum wants me to find a job and work my way up in something unrelated to this but I don’t really want that.
I know that I can do it but I also have a boyfriend that’s going to university this year and so that means five total years of not seeing each other properly but I also know that if anything happens between us, I don’t want to look back and regret not doing my a-levels and my dream because I’m also worrying about that.
I’ll talk about it with him tonight as I haven’t really suggested it to him because I want to once I know what I’m doing 🤣.
That is nice that people at different ages go do these kind of degrees.
(edited 8 months ago)
update:
the reason why i wanted to take diagnostic radiography was so i can progress onto sonography later on in life but you can do that with nursing apparently too so im going to stick with my a-levels and do them in 2025 and actually re take my GCSE science to learn about science still anyway : ) so i’ll actually have a proper think about bio and diagnostic radiography 🥲
(edited 8 months ago)
update:
the reason why i wanted to take diagnostic radiography was so i can progress onto sonography later on in life but you can do that with nursing apparently too so im going to stick with my a-levels and do them in 2025 and actually re take my GCSE science to learn about science still anyway : ) so i’ll actually have a proper think about bio and diagnostic radiography 🥲

If you are age 19, then an Access to Higher Education Diploma might be a better route for you as you can complete it in one year.

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/home

You do need to do some research on course entry requirements as the GCSE requirements can vary a lot, and not having the required GCSEs usually means an automatic rejection. For example, Uni of Liverpool's DR course requires at least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 or above and must include English language, maths and science, and they must be taken in one sitting. Uni of Hertfordshire requires English language, maths and science GCSEs at grade 4 or above and it doesn't state that they have to be taken together.

As you have noted, there are other routes into sonography including nursing and midwifery, but there is a lot of competition for those sonography training spots so make sure that you choose a course that you would be happy to continue with as a career.
Original post by normaw
If you are age 19, then an Access to Higher Education Diploma might be a better route for you as you can complete it in one year.

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/home

You do need to do some research on course entry requirements as the GCSE requirements can vary a lot, and not having the required GCSEs usually means an automatic rejection. For example, Uni of Liverpool's DR course requires at least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 or above and must include English language, maths and science, and they must be taken in one sitting. Uni of Hertfordshire requires English language, maths and science GCSEs at grade 4 or above and it doesn't state that they have to be taken together.

As you have noted, there are other routes into sonography including nursing and midwifery, but there is a lot of competition for those sonography training spots so make sure that you choose a course that you would be happy to continue with as a career.

Do you think dropping my a-levels looks bad on my application though?
I suffer with mental healtht problems so have uncompleted 3 courses (including my a-levels) and i have completed one year of level 2 health and social care.
i have got much better though so im annoyed and scared that my education history will look terrible so sticking with my a-levels and re taking my gcse science will probably be a good idea but then again, i dont know. the access course would definitely be better for me as there would be people to socialise with too instead of being home and studying. but i do like the independence but it can get a little depressing.
are there lots of unis that require one sitting at GCSE’s?
i am capable of doing what i need to do but i was mentally ill so i didn’t try at all and didnt care about my future but now i do.
it’s making me panic a lot because idk what to do.
i think i’d be happy with any nursing type degree or radiography. but im sure radiography puts you at advantage because of the technology for sonography.
not sure though.
i’ll speak to my parents tonight and see what they think. i have just turned 19 and i’d be 20/21 when completing my a levels ajd recieving results, compared to being 19/20 when finishing an access course. however, can i re take science at the same time of doing an access course in sciences??
it’s all stressful as i really want to do well now.:frown:
Do you think dropping my a-levels looks bad on my application though?
I suffer with mental healtht problems so have uncompleted 3 courses (including my a-levels) and i have completed one year of level 2 health and social care.
i have got much better though so im annoyed and scared that my education history will look terrible so sticking with my a-levels and re taking my gcse science will probably be a good idea but then again, i dont know. the access course would definitely be better for me as there would be people to socialise with too instead of being home and studying. but i do like the independence but it can get a little depressing.
are there lots of unis that require one sitting at GCSE’s?
i am capable of doing what i need to do but i was mentally ill so i didn’t try at all and didnt care about my future but now i do.
it’s making me panic a lot because idk what to do.
i think i’d be happy with any nursing type degree or radiography. but im sure radiography puts you at advantage because of the technology for sonography.
not sure though.
i’ll speak to my parents tonight and see what they think. i have just turned 19 and i’d be 20/21 when completing my a levels ajd recieving results, compared to being 19/20 when finishing an access course. however, can i re take science at the same time of doing an access course in sciences??
it’s all stressful as i really want to do well now.:frown:

Unis are not going to judge you for not being able to finish your qualifications due to ill health. Access to HE Diplomas are ideal for people who didn't manage to obtain their level 3 qualifications via the traditional route. However, the courses are intense as you cover a lot of material in one year so be prepared for that. It is possible to take your GCSE alongside it but it will add to your workload. It is worth discussing with your family if you think you will be able to cope with it.

Also, funding is available to help cover the cost of an Access course:

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/about-access/about-the-diploma/fees-funding

All healthcare courses will expect you to have some work/volunteering experience in a public-facing role, and to have spent at least a day shadowing a radiographer etc. in a hospital. So if you don't have this already, you need to consider how you will make time for this is in addition to studying.

In the end if you decide to stick with A levels, don't worry about it taking a year longer. Healthcare courses attract a lot of mature students and you won't be the oldest person on the course. Take your time to evaluate your options and take the path that is best for your mental health. :smile:
Original post by normaw
Unis are not going to judge you for not being able to finish your qualifications due to ill health. Access to HE Diplomas are ideal for people who didn't manage to obtain their level 3 qualifications via the traditional route. However, the courses are intense as you cover a lot of material in one year so be prepared for that. It is possible to take your GCSE alongside it but it will add to your workload. It is worth discussing with your family if you think you will be able to cope with it.

Also, funding is available to help cover the cost of an Access course:

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/about-access/about-the-diploma/fees-funding

All healthcare courses will expect you to have some work/volunteering experience in a public-facing role, and to have spent at least a day shadowing a radiographer etc. in a hospital. So if you don't have this already, you need to consider how you will make time for this is in addition to studying.

In the end if you decide to stick with A levels, don't worry about it taking a year longer. Healthcare courses attract a lot of mature students and you won't be the oldest person on the course. Take your time to evaluate your options and take the path that is best for your mental health. :smile:

hi,
my GCSE science will actually help the access course as they’re both combined science. so maybe it could be doable and i can start now woth the GCSE.
i have been paying for online tuition from oxbridge home learning which is the only annoying factor if i did do an access course as the money would have gone to nothing otherwise i’d pretty much go for the access course.
i also haven’t had any work experience shadowing, all i have had is 130 hours work experience in a care home which isn’t good enough really. so i’d need to also get a day shadowing like you suggested.
i dont mind it taking a year longer but the scary part for me is having to take a-level biology and dropping RS or keeping RS as well as. not sure what the oxbridge home learning would do about that, i’ll need to phone them if i do decide to stay on with a-levels to discontinue with a-level RS.
so, yes, i’ll talk to my parents but they don’t like me studying at this age and they’re pretty annoyed unfortunately but hopefully they can calm down. taking biology will also be more expensive (it’s like £2000 with practicals and exams included with the course) . in total with my 3 a levels i have spent £2000 without paying for exams as it wasn’t included as i chose that. so an access course would be cheaper really actually and quicker so perhaps it is a better idea .
but then i’d be applying with a pending grade in GCSE science which is annoying because science is a requirement. would that work if i just put pending?
thank you so mych!! ive been feeling very alone with it all as no one around me is studying at my age that i know so i feel behind.
(edited 8 months ago)
hi,
my GCSE science will actually help the access course as they’re both combined science.
i have been paying for online tuition from oxbridge home learning which is the only annoying factor if i did do an access course as the money would have gone to nothing otherwise i’d pretty much go for the access course.
i also haven’t had any work experience shadowing, all i have had is 130 hours work experience in a care home which isn’t good enough really. so i’d need to also get a day shadowing like you suggested.
i dont mind it taking a year longer but the scary part for me is having to take a-level biology and dropping RS or keeping RS as well as. not sure what the oxbridge home learning would do about that, i’ll need to phone them if i do decide to stay on with a-levels to discontinue with a-level RS.
so, yes, i’ll talk to my parents but they don’t like me studying at this age and they’re pretty annoyed unfortunately but hopefully they can calm down. taking biology will also be more expensive (it’s like £2000 with practicals and exams included with the course) . in total with my 3 a levels i have spent £2000 without paying for exams as it wasn’t included as i chose that. so an access course would be cheaper really actually and quicker so perhaps it is a better idea .
but then i’d be applying with a pending grade in GCSE science which is annoying because science is a requirement. would that work if i just put pending?
thank you so mych!! ive been feeling very alone with it all as no one around me is studying at my age that i know so i feel behind.

Okay. Your care home experience is fantastic - it's exactly what healthcare courses require and will strengthen your uni application. You have time to organise a day shadowing a radiographer - search 'work experience' on your local NHS trust website to find an email address. If you can't get anything, try a hospital a bit further away. Still no luck - ask any friends or relatives who work in the NHS if they have any contacts that could get you in.

From the research my daughter did for DR, some unis did accept psychology for the science requirement (so you might not need to do that bio A level). I'll try and find the notes we made tomorrow and get back to you. If I've not posted by Sunday, tag me to remind me.
Original post by normaw
Okay. Your care home experience is fantastic - it's exactly what healthcare courses require and will strengthen your uni application. You have time to organise a day shadowing a radiographer - search 'work experience' on your local NHS trust website to find an email address. If you can't get anything, try a hospital a bit further away. Still no luck - ask any friends or relatives who work in the NHS if they have any contacts that could get you in.

From the research my daughter did for DR, some unis did accept psychology for the science requirement (so you might not need to do that bio A level). I'll try and find the notes we made tomorrow and get back to you. If I've not posted by Sunday, tag me to remind me.

hi, thank you! i’m glad to hear my work experience is enough. i will definitely have a look around as im close to three hospitals so i should have some luck. if not, i’ll ask if anyone has anyone they know that works in a hospital or something to see.
awww, thank you ever so much! fingers crossed psychology is enough! 🤞🏼
sadly, i have to do my a level exams the year after anyway because i didn’t finish the year 12 content because i started a levels late. so it’s nice to have the two options to see what is better and thank you for helping me.

hope you have a good evening/weekend
(edited 8 months ago)
@alevelstudent090

DR courses that accept psychology as the science A level: Cumbria, Exeter, Hertfordshire, Leicester, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Salford, UWE.

Courses that want a science A level but don't specify subjects - worth an email to admission to see if psychology would be acceptable: Birmingham City, CCCU, Liverpool, LSBU, St Georges, Suffolk

So you do have the option to continue with your current A levels and not take biology. Do check entry requirements in detail (both A level and GCSE):

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/course-finder
Original post by normaw
@alevelstudent090

DR courses that accept psychology as the science A level: Cumbria, Exeter, Hertfordshire, Leicester, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Salford, UWE.

Courses that want a science A level but don't specify subjects - worth an email to admission to see if psychology would be acceptable: Birmingham City, CCCU, Liverpool, LSBU, St Georges, Suffolk

So you do have the option to continue with your current A levels and not take biology. Do check entry requirements in detail (both A level and GCSE):

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/course-finder

thank you ever so much!! there’s still quite a lot that accept psychology as a science which is good and herts is very close to me so that’s handy in case i don’t want to move out. the others seem nice too, especially suffolk, so i’ll email and see if psychology is accepted as a science.
i did speak to my mum last night about if i took a-levels it will take me a total of two years from this september, or if i did an access course it would take me a year. however, im not sure which is best as ive been doing okay with my a-levels. she says she’d rather be finish this year instead of doing two years of a-levels but it’s a hard decision because i’m not sure myself and college term starts next week so i need to make my decision. 🤣🤣
but i’m happy to hear that quite a few unis do accept psychology as a science. i also looked at herts and it did say that sociology is also accepted as a science which is nice…
thank you so much for your help!
i’ll speak to my parents again tonight about this , to see what they think. 🤣
what do you think is a better choice?
thank you ever so much!! there’s still quite a lot that accept psychology as a science which is good and herts is very close to me so that’s handy in case i don’t want to move out. the others seem nice too, especially suffolk, so i’ll email and see if psychology is accepted as a science.
i did speak to my mum last night about if i took a-levels it will take me a total of two years from this september, or if i did an access course it would take me a year. however, im not sure which is best as ive been doing okay with my a-levels. she says she’d rather be finish this year instead of doing two years of a-levels but it’s a hard decision because i’m not sure myself and college term starts next week so i need to make my decision. 🤣🤣
but i’m happy to hear that quite a few unis do accept psychology as a science. i also looked at herts and it did say that sociology is also accepted as a science which is nice…
thank you so much for your help!
i’ll speak to my parents again tonight about this , to see what they think. 🤣
what do you think is a better choice?

Hey @alevelstudent090,

Normaw is right in that we accept Psychology as a science for our Diagnostic Radiography course (we'd need you to get a B in this to meet our grade requirements too) :biggrin: I'd say do which qualifications feel right for you as its going to be you sitting them, not your parents! Access to HE courses are a really great qualification that we can accept for our Radiography course and obviously have the benefits of being shorter and more coursework-centric, but if you're finding A Levels to suit you and your type of learning its always best to go with your gut. We get applicants from all educational backgrounds apply for our health courses and hold no preference for what route you've taken, but I'd always double check what other universities say before assuming we'll all accept the same things (we're very awkward and all have different requirements).

As I think someone has previously mentioned, getting some work experience or shadowing is a fantastic addition to your application. It shows you've put in extra effort and really have a passion for the course, and will reflect well in your personal statement and interviews. Would definitely recommend trying to do some, even if its only a week shadowing!

Good luck with your decisions and applications - remember, its YOU going to university, so whilst your parents may have some good advice its always best to make the final decision on how you feel and what you want! You're going to be the one studying, so its always best to be doing something you love.

All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending