The Student Room Group

4 A Levels

So I need to pick my A Levels this year, and im really struggling to decide which to take.
I'm set on doing psychology and sociology, however I want to know if doing english lit and film studies on top would be too much. I've heard that film studies is an easier a level, and would give me the option to focus more on the other 3, however I'm really interested in doing it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The-Archer-
So I need to pick my A Levels this year, and im really struggling to decide which to take.
I'm set on doing psychology and sociology, however I want to know if doing english lit and film studies on top would be too much. I've heard that film studies is an easier a level, and would give me the option to focus more on the other 3, however I'm really interested in doing it.

The priority would be what career do you want and what specific degree do you want to go into. Picking random A Levels solely based on interests can work against you, especially if there are required subjects in the degree.
If your career require a specific degree, you can't usually pick any random degree and expect to get into the field.

If you have multiple fields that you want to go into, then it adds more complexity to the choices and you would need to pick the options that would keep your choices open.

English Lit typically involves a lot of reading and very material heavy. Psychology and sociology in comparison require less ongoing effort. Film studies is generally regarded as the easier A Level, but it's also less academic and hence less favoured by some unis.

If you can be more specific and be more detailed with the above, I would be able to help you more.
Reply 2

please only pick 3. there is no merit to doing 4 and it will stress you out and cause you to underperform in your other a levels. i made this mistake
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
The priority would be what career do you want and what specific degree do you want to go into. Picking random A Levels solely based on interests can work against you, especially if there are required subjects in the degree.
If your career require a specific degree, you can't usually pick any random degree and expect to get into the field.

If you have multiple fields that you want to go into, then it adds more complexity to the choices and you would need to pick the options that would keep your choices open.

English Lit typically involves a lot of reading and very material heavy. Psychology and sociology in comparison require less ongoing effort. Film studies is generally regarded as the easier A Level, but it's also less academic and hence less favoured by some unis.

If you can be more specific and be more detailed with the above, I would be able to help you more.

I'm currently planning on doing primary teaching, which has no course requirements (as far as im aware)
I'm currently planning on doing primary teaching, which has no course requirements (as far as im aware)

Then this depends on how you go about it. If you want to do a BEd with QTS in primary education, then you have no course requirements and can pick whatever usually. If you want to do a PGCE with QTS in primary education, then you can pick an undergrad in any subject and then do the PGCE.
In either case, the choice of your A Level subjects would likely be inconsequential (unless you possibly have a specific undergrad you want to go for).

BEds tend to not particularly high entry requirements, so you're not exactly required to jump through that many hoops.

FIlm studies is said to be more fun than English Lit (as far as I am aware), but I am biased.
I would pick the subject you have more interest in.
Reply 5
Then this depends on how you go about it. If you want to do a BEd with QTS in primary education, then you have no course requirements and can pick whatever usually. If you want to do a PGCE with QTS in primary education, then you can pick an undergrad in any subject and then do the PGCE.
In either case, the choice of your A Level subjects would likely be inconsequential (unless you possibly have a specific undergrad you want to go for).

BEds tend to not particularly high entry requirements, so you're not exactly required to jump through that many hoops.

FIlm studies is said to be more fun than English Lit (as far as I am aware), but I am biased.
I would pick the subject you have more interest in.

I was planning on doing all 4. English so I have a facilitating subject, psych + soc because ive been set on those since like year 8, and film studies just because it sounds interesting to do. And I'm planning on doing the BEd, which seem to average on BBB grades, and im predicted an 8 in english lit, so hopefully it'll be easy enough 🤞
Reply 6
Original post by 048243
please only pick 3. there is no merit to doing 4 and it will stress you out and cause you to underperform in your other a levels. i made this mistake

Which 4 did you choose? Just for reference, because if it was science/maths i could not do that either (humanities girl through and through ✨️)
(Original post by The-Archer-)Which 4 did you choose? Just for reference, because if it was science/maths i could not do that either (humanities girl through and through ✨️)

Dont pick 4. Universities only ask for 3 and the mix without film studies is fine
I was planning on doing all 4. English so I have a facilitating subject, psych + soc because ive been set on those since like year 8, and film studies just because it sounds interesting to do. And I'm planning on doing the BEd, which seem to average on BBB grades, and im predicted an 8 in english lit, so hopefully it'll be easy enough 🤞

I was planning on doing all 4
Someone's brooding for a punishment

English so I have a facilitating subject
English is a required subject only for some English degrees. If you don't intend to do an English degree (or even be open to it), then doing the A Level won't mean much outside of personal interest.

psych + soc because ive been set on those since like year 8
Fair enough. Go for them.

im predicted an 8 in english lit, so hopefully it'll be easy enough
You'll be surprised. English Lit is really one of those subjects that are better suited to people with a particular affinity for literature and essays. Even if you got a high score for Lit at GCSE, it doesn't necessarily mean you are good at it (take it from someone who did relatively OK in lit at GCSE and relatively bad at AS).
GCSEs have alwways been a bad predictor of how well you fare in A Levels. For one, A Levels is a completely different animal and it's marked completely differently. People who score 7s and 8s at GCSEs can have Ds and Cs at A Level; likewise people who score 5s and 6s can end up with As and Bs.
Arguably, you shouldn't pick subjects you have affinity for at A Level, since it's likely going to be a lot more difficult for you to score the grades that you want or need. If you're particularly passionate about Lit and are really good at it, by all means do it at A Level. However, if you're not and you're just picking it because it's a required subject, then you're likely going to have a difficult time.
Reply 9
I was planning on doing all 4
Someone's brooding for a punishment

English so I have a facilitating subject
English is a required subject only for some English degrees. If you don't intend to do an English degree (or even be open to it), then doing the A Level won't mean much outside of personal interest.

psych + soc because ive been set on those since like year 8
Fair enough. Go for them.

im predicted an 8 in english lit, so hopefully it'll be easy enough
You'll be surprised. English Lit is really one of those subjects that are better suited to people with a particular affinity for literature and essays. Even if you got a high score for Lit at GCSE, it doesn't necessarily mean you are good at it (take it from someone who did relatively OK in lit at GCSE and relatively bad at AS).
GCSEs have alwways been a bad predictor of how well you fare in A Levels. For one, A Levels is a completely different animal and it's marked completely differently. People who score 7s and 8s at GCSEs can have Ds and Cs at A Level; likewise people who score 5s and 6s can end up with As and Bs.
Arguably, you shouldn't pick subjects you have affinity for at A Level, since it's likely going to be a lot more difficult for you to score the grades that you want or need. If you're particularly passionate about Lit and are really good at it, by all means do it at A Level. However, if you're not and you're just picking it because it's a required subject, then you're likely going to have a difficult time.

I'm just concerned that doing all "soft" subjects would hinder my chances at uni, and im awful at science/maths, so english was kind of my only option outside history, but the course at the college i want to do sounds really boring (it's the only college close enough to warrant transport times)
(edited 7 months ago)
I'm just concerned that doing all "soft" subjects would hinder my chances at uni, and im awful at science/maths, so english was kind of my only option outside history, but the course at the college i want to do sounds really boring (it's the only college close enough to warrant transport times)

'Soft subjects' are a myth and do not exist these days - please do NOT take 4.
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
'Soft subjects' are a myth and do not exist these days - please do NOT take 4.

Okay, we were all told about it at school but if that's the case then i might just consider doing film studies instead of english. Thanks for the advice 🩷
Okay, we were all told about it at school but if that's the case then i might just consider doing film studies instead of english. Thanks for the advice 🩷

When A levels changed around 2017 the whole idea of 'facilitating subjects' was withdrawn. For your career aim any subjects will do - pick subjects you will enjoy and do well in :smile:

This would depend on the uni and degree. If the degree course page specifies the sort of subjects you should or shouldn't take, then I would go by the course requirements, not what other people say.

If you suddenly want to apply for a very academic degree at a top end uni, then I would be concerned.

Science and Maths, whilst are academic and difficult subjects, aren't really required for degrees outside of STEM generally (although maths is asked for in finance and economics). If you're not going for a STEM or quantitative degree, then they shouldn't matter to you (even if I like them).

I would also ask for opinions from people who did History A Level at the specific college. Colleges can sometimes do a terrible job selling the subject to students (they're teachers usually, not copywriters/marketers). If it's as boring as they make it sound, then your concern is warranted.
Reply 14
This would depend on the uni and degree. If the degree course page specifies the sort of subjects you should or shouldn't take, then I would go by the course requirements, not what other people say.

If you suddenly want to apply for a very academic degree at a top end uni, then I would be concerned.

Science and Maths, whilst are academic and difficult subjects, aren't really required for degrees outside of STEM generally (although maths is asked for in finance and economics). If you're not going for a STEM or quantitative degree, then they shouldn't matter to you (even if I like them).

I would also ask for opinions from people who did History A Level at the specific college. Colleges can sometimes do a terrible job selling the subject to students (they're teachers usually, not copywriters/marketers). If it's as boring as they make it sound, then your concern is warranted.

Would classic civ be close enough to history? The course sounds a lot more interesting (ive only seen the website, open evenings aren't for another month or so). Like, if I did change my mind on the route and wanted to do a degree then pgce id probably pick history, would i be able to do that with a classic civ a level or does it have to be history?
Would classic civ be close enough to history? The course sounds a lot more interesting (ive only seen the website, open evenings aren't for another month or so). Like, if I did change my mind on the route and wanted to do a degree then pgce id probably pick history, would i be able to do that with a classic civ a level or does it have to be history?

Some history degrees would specifically require history. Some would accept A Levels in any subject. Classics isn't the same thing as history because it's a lot more focused on Roman and Greek civilsations and classics is a different subject in itself.

You would need to check the entry requirements for the specific degrees yourself. If you want me to check, I would need to know the specific degrees that you want to do.
Reply 16
Okay then, thank you
Think I'll stick with film studies, but I'll probably end up changing my mind again 😅
Reply 18
Which 4 did you choose? Just for reference, because if it was science/maths i could not do that either (humanities girl through and through ✨️)

biology, chemistry, history and geography

i wouldn't recommend 4 a-levels regardless which subjects you take. Subjects will either be hard and have a lot of content or be easy and have a lot of content - the content amount is the issue D:
(edited 7 months ago)

Id just double check first before committing to anything. I don't think there's any specific requirements, but its always worth making sure.
If you want to do 4, then you could start with 4 and see how you go. Then drop one in the first few weeks if its too much.

Quick Reply

Latest