The Student Room Group

GCSE

hi,
so i have recently completed my gcses and i want to go to brampton/ncs. i am bascially predicting the grades i am going to get based on how confident i am. do you think these grades are good enough to study maths, biology and chemistry?
maths - 9
further maths - 9
english language - 7
eng lit - 6
bio - 9
chem - 9
phys - 9
cs -9
geo - 8/9
his - 8/9
many thanks
Original post by Anonymous48
hi,
so i have recently completed my gcses and i want to go to brampton/ncs. i am bascially predicting the grades i am going to get based on how confident i am. do you think these grades are good enough to study maths, biology and chemistry?
maths - 9
further maths - 9
english language - 7
eng lit - 6
bio - 9
chem - 9
phys - 9
cs -9
geo - 8/9
his - 8/9
many thanks

do you think these grades are good enough to study maths, biology and chemistry?
Firstly, as far as I know the highest grades you can get in UK GCSEs is a 9. So will you be good enough to study maths, biology, and chemistry? You can't get higher than a 9 in those subjects.

i am bascially predicting the grades i am going to get based on how confident i am
This is the wrong basis of predicting your grades. I would use your mock test results and the progress reports from your teachers. This would be the similar basis the admin staff at the colleges will be judging your application. The final decision would be based on whether you actually get the grades or not

i want to go to brampton/ncs
If you're asking whether your grades are good enough to get into these colleges, you would need to check their general entry requirements for the colleges.
NCS: "In order to study A Levels, students need a minimum of 62 points from their best 8 GCSEs...Students must also have at least a GCSE grade 7 in English Language and Mathematics to study A levels." See: https://sixthform.london/ncs-entry-requirements/
You predict yourself getting at least 7s for Maths and English Language, so you're fine there.
Your best 8 GCSEs (assuming the worse case scenario): 9+9+9+9+9+9+8+8 = 70. You're fine there.

Brampton: "To clarify our admission policy, we do not adopt a rigid policy. Our primary criterion is the ability to demonstrate the motivation and commitment as well as the background skills, knowledge and aptitude necessary to complete the A level courses successfully. These cannot always be easily defined and our preference is to evaluate these factors on an individual basis, where possible.
However, in general we would expect at least grade B passes (or grade 6) at GCSE across the range of subjects, particularly those relevant to A level subject choices. The exception to this is Mathematics, Modern Languages and Science where we expect at least A grades. The academic profile of our A level students varies, although the majority have obtained at least A and B grades at GCSE." See: https://www.bramptoncollege.com/admissions/
This is a bit less clear cut. In terms of grades, we're looking at grades 6s as a minimum (which you should have), and 7s for STEM and language subjects if you want to study them (which you should have). The key thing they look for is " the ability to demonstrate the motivation and commitment as well as the background skills, knowledge and aptitude necessary to complete the A level courses successfully". In other words, if you're capable of completing the course, you're good. If not, they will be very reluctant to accept you.

If you're asking about the competition for these college places, then I can't say.

Quick Reply

Latest