The Student Room Group

OCR FP2 (MEI) Exam 21 June 2012

I can't seem to find a thread for this exam already, which seems strange as it's only a week away! If there is one someone please post it to me. If not, how is everyone's revision getting on? What seem to be the problem areas? I find some of the DeMoivre's theorem tricky.

Scroll to see replies

The only topic i know anything on is matrices (and the basics of complex numbers). What is de moivres theorm? I can't get my head around any of it
Reply 2
I'm a little worried about this exam, I've got a core3 resit just before it and stats3 the day after, I can't figure out my priorities!
Reply 3
Original post by lubamira
I'm a little worried about this exam, I've got a core3 resit just before it and stats3 the day after, I can't figure out my priorities!

Im in the same position. I've got a physics resit monday and C3 and FP2 thursday. Im getting some C3 in this weekend so I can prioritise FP2 between monday - thursday!
Reply 4
Original post by basilbrush16
The only topic i know anything on is matrices (and the basics of complex numbers). What is de moivres theorm? I can't get my head around any of it

deMoivre is part of complex numbers... all to do with the e^j.theta = (cos.theta + j.sin.theta)

Theres quite a few applications of this so it takes a while to get your head around many of them! The only way to do it is by practising questions until you feel confident with them :tongue:
Reply 5
I've got FP2 and S3 as well, I know the pain :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Benniboi1
I've got FP2 and S3 as well, I know the pain :frown:

Yeah I've got stats3 the day after too...gah! How am I going to fit it all in?!
Ahh well, at least it is close to the end and we'll be free for the summer :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by OllieReynolds
Im in the same position. I've got a physics resit monday and C3 and FP2 thursday. Im getting some C3 in this weekend so I can prioritise FP2 between monday - thursday!

I did it the other way around because I've had more time this weekend than in the week.
Nearly over now though- I can see the light :P
Reply 8
Yeah I've got stats3 the day after too...gah! How am I going to fit it all in?!
Ahh well, at least it is close to the end and we'll be free for the summer :smile:

I have econ the day before, C3 clashing the same time and bio and S3 the next day lol. Yes looking forward to summer!
Reply 9
Original post by Horchata
I have econ the day before, C3 clashing the same time and bio and S3 the next day lol. Yes looking forward to summer!

Offt unlucky! Sounds horrible, hope it all goes well though!
Will be my last exam! Gonna finish off preparations after Chem 5 tomorrow.
Reply 11

i'm exactly the same, who makes these exam timetables? it's crazy, if you're doing further maths and then you're going to be doing maths as well, so why put them on the same day?! gaaah!

I find complex numbers and DMT actually more difficult to understand that hyperbolic functions! I just hoping something like find cos5 and sin5 in terms of cos and sin comes up!

I hope we get some nice integrals to balance out some of the harder questions too, such as finding midpoints of two roots on argand diagrams etc!
Reply 12
Original post by kirstyyyg
i'm exactly the same, who makes these exam timetables? it's crazy, if you're doing further maths and then you're going to be doing maths as well, so why put them on the same day?! gaaah!

I find complex numbers and DMT actually more difficult to understand that hyperbolic functions! I just hoping something like find cos5 and sin5 in terms of cos and sin comes up!

I hope we get some nice integrals to balance out some of the harder questions too, such as finding midpoints of two roots on argand diagrams etc!

I agree. Most deMoivre questions repeat every few paper and are pretty much the same thing and require the same technique. However, there is occasionally the odd weird one to get your head around! I feel the same about hyperbolics too... they're really not too bad.
Reply 13
I find hyperbolic functions horrific but complex numbers is definitely the worst. Matrices FTW. I saw one paper where the matrices section was only two small questions lol hope that's not that case for us!

I'm hoping for de moivre and finding the roots. Argand diagrams aren't difficult but I'm not bothered with them.

I was wondering for polar co-ordinates when they ask you to sketch the graph do you guys write out co-ordinates (and by that I mean the angle and matching r value) first or just sketch it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Economics 4 the day before then fp2 and c3 resist at the same time!! But at least it's all I've after that!!!!
Reply 15
Original post by Horchata
I find hyperbolic functions horrific but complex numbers is definitely the worst. Matrices FTW. I saw one paper where the matrices section was only two small questions lol hope that's not that case for us!

I'm hoping for de moivre and finding the roots. Argand diagrams aren't difficult but I'm not bothered with them.

I was wondering for polar co-ordinates when they ask you to sketch the graph do you guys write out co-ordinates (and by that I mean the angle and matching r value) first or just sketch it?

I always used to draw a little table with different values for theta, then matching r values... but then i found it was really time consuming and the mark scheme is only bothered about the actual shape of the curve and any relevant interceptions.

I think they sometimes mark it based on each quartile... so they'll say something like 'M1 for correct shape in 1st and 2nd quartile'. But no, the table of theta to r values aren't relevant :smile:
Graphics calcs are so helpful for sketching polar curves. I couldn't survive without mine :/
I hate polar co-ordinate graph drawing.
Also anyone got the jan 12 paper?
Reply 18
Original post by OllieReynolds
I always used to draw a little table with different values for theta, then matching r values... but then i found it was really time consuming and the mark scheme is only bothered about the actual shape of the curve and any relevant interceptions.

I think they sometimes mark it based on each quartile... so they'll say something like 'M1 for correct shape in 1st and 2nd quartile'. But no, the table of theta to r values aren't relevant :smile:

Thanks! It IS really time consuming but I think it's odd giving a few marks for typing something in a calculator lol.
Reply 19
FP2 jan 2012 paper (teacher won't give me the mark scheme I would really appreciate it if anyone uploaded it! and if you do please quote me so I know)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending