Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR FP2 (MEI) Exam 21 June 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skibur)
    Has anyone done the Jan12 paper, how did everyone find it?
    i found it quite difficult to be honest. hopefully that means an easier june paper!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petro_99)
    i found it quite difficult to be honest. hopefully that means an easier june paper!!
    same But the grade boundaries where just normal. But when you think about the type of people who would do FP2 in January you can understand why I think
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    same But the grade boundaries where just normal. But when you think about the type of people who would do FP2 in January you can understand why I think
    really?:eek::eek::eek:

it actually didnt look bad, but once you read the questions it wasnt very nice...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petro_99)
    really?:eek::eek::eek:

it actually didnt look bad, but once you read the questions it wasnt very nice...
    I agree, most papers are harder to score better on in Jan though, apart from C1 and C3 I think
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to get the determinant from the characteristic equation? I did the June 2009 paper and the characteristic equation was

λ^3 - 3λ^2 + 3λ + 7 = 0

So I thought the determinant would be 7 but it's -7?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horchata)
    Does anyone know how to get the determinant from the characteristic equation? I did the June 2009 paper and the characteristic equation was

λ^3 - 3λ^2 + 3λ + 7 = 0

I was wondering this aswell, but the way I do i do the characteristic equation the number I get originally is the determinant if you know what I mean?

like when I did this question I got
    -λ^3 + 3λ^2 - 3λ - 7 = 0 so I just remember that its the unchanged one, not the best way but yeah
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horchata)

λ^3 - 3λ^2 + 3λ + 7 = 0

I got stuck on this question too, remember, when you worked out the characteristic equation, you must have got
    -λ^3 + 3λ^2 - 3λ - 7 = 0
    then you changed the signs afterwards, well when you use this equation you get det(M)=-7

This is what it says in the report
    Most candidates were able to produce a correct characteristic polynomial, although an equation appeared more rarely. Most expanded by the top row,
    although expansion by the middle row would have produced an answer more easily. The determinant of M was not so well done: those who worked it out from scratch were generally more successful than those who used the characteristic equation, because most reversed all their signs to obtain a leading coefficient of 1: thus λ = 0 gave –det(M). 1 was another common incorrect answer.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both of you
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone's exam start at 1:30
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know I've left this late but what does it mean in the C+jS questions when it has a bracket with an 'n' above a number? How do you convert that to e form? (if you're meant to do that)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by albus)
    Does everyone's exam start at 1:30
    yes. 2 hours to go

(Original post by justanotherposter)
    I know I've left this late but what does it mean in the C+jS questions when it has a bracket with an 'n' above a number? How do you convert that to e form? (if you're meant to do that)
    do you mean demoivres theorem? or them annoying questions about geometric/arithmetic sequences?

ahh just looked through notes now;

e^jx=cosx+jisnx
    2cosx= e^jx+e^-jx
    2sinx= e^jx-e^-jx

if you mean the sequencing then use the first result to come up with a sequence, then work it out to inifinity or to n, the formula for this is in the booklet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I wasn't too clear, I understand the whole sequence thing it's this I don't understand:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cjs.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	158985

The bits in brackets, what do they mean? I vaguely remember being told it's to do with binomial but I'm not sure what it does.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind, didn't realise the mark schemes have examiner reports, it makes sense now
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well i **** the bed on this exam no ive already lost about 20 marks, probs more! the 2 7 mark questions completely messed me over ! How everyone else found it? Last year paper was so simple with grade boundaries at 55, anyone think it will be lower?!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jesus ****ing christ...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chingchong)
    well i **** the bed on this exam no ive already lost about 20 marks, probs more! the 2 7 mark questions completely messed me over ! How everyone else found it? Last year paper was so simple with grade boundaries at 55, anyone think it will be lower?!
    Hard, very hard for me anyway, I could do most of it but I wasnt confident on so much of it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A=1/2 and b=1/4 for the last question anyone?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanban)
    A=1/2 and b=1/4 for the last question anyone?
    I got B as 1/4 yeah but I couldnt get A, how many marks do you think I would lose?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got B as 1/4 yeah but I couldnt get A, how many marks do you think I would lose?
    It was only a 4mark q so I wouldn't think you'd lose more than 2...providing you've shown your method...

I hated the matrices q, b=4? And (if you did it this way) x=lambda y=7/10 lambda -1 z=1 - 8/10 lambda ??

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 24, 2013
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.