The Student Room Group

My complaint email to OCR about Biology F215 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by . .
No I'm not.

I'm saying it is normal for exam boards to recycle questions. Sometimes they don't rearrange the words other times they do almost all the time the marking points remain the same.

It's normal for them to recycle questions, but not 11 marks worth of identical questions in a single paper exactly as it previously appeared.
Reply 181
Original post by Revent
Edit your OP and mention this link asking people to email BBC as well :wink: It works better and is more likely to have an effect if more people do it.

Just did it, thanks :smile:
Reply 182
Original post by Big-Daddy
I didn't take any of these exams but I think the OP is absolutely right. Exams are about knowledge, not about taking past papers. Particularly for science exams, there is an impetus on the exam board to present questions testing the candidates' knowledge, not their preparation.

Why should past papers be a necessary part of revision? The board is testing knowledge in their specification; nowhere under the AOs for their specification does it list "preparation using past material". I could know all there is to know about the subject, but if I walked into a hall to face a paper which some other students already knew the answers to, I would still be disadvantaged. The OP cannot be condemned for neglecting past papers; maybe he did one and concluded that his technique was fine after that? I personally only assume that past papers will help my technique, and would be absolutely stunned if I heard that I could use a past paper to literally memorize answers for my exam itself.

As I said above, "you put yourself at a disadvantage by not looking at the past paper" just doesn't work. The exam board has said that they test "knowledge" and "understanding", and thus it is not acceptable for them to be testing the recall of certain students and the understanding of others. Like I said above, if the exam tests knowledge rather than preparation (which OCR, in their specification, does) it cannot possibly have marks awarded for having done past papers.

Also, they don't get to make a fool of some students just because they're the exam board. They're still answerable to the UK Government, who should definitely make sure something is done about this, since it seems to happen periodically with OCR.

Choose new material, then! That's what specification changes are for.

As I've already said, OCR claims to be testing knowledge, so why do students who have prepared less (rather than those who know less) have a disadvantage?

you are completely right. no one can argue with what you have said. the people who keep repeating that its out fault for not doing all the past papers are just stupid and do not understand the actual concept of the situation. even if everyone who took this exam had seen the paper before it still would not make it right.
people who do not understand this are just childish,narrow minded people who just like argueing even though they have no valid point. im sorry, i dont ussually call people names, its just that everyone keeps repeating the same about thing "doing more past papers" when they actually do not know what they are talking about.
Reply 183
Original post by hprmc
so you expect people to go out and buy every revision guide out there? yea thats so realistic.
your just so narrow minded that you dont understand the problem. the issue is not how much people revised. the issue is that OCR should not have done that. you just dont understand.

No I expect people to go out and use all the free resources such as legacy past papers to the best of their ability.

Every exam board and almost all if not all subjects recycle questions. You seem to be acting like it's the first time something like this has occurred.
Original post by Flyteryder
You'd actually say 'Sorry for bothering you', in a letter of complaint? A letter of complaint is to make your views heard, not apologise for something you feel strongly about, which is why you have complained in the first place.

This shows your age, as well as your obvious lack of self esteem and confidence. You're probably 13 and always do what everybody else says without question, because they just have to be right. Nobody in authority can ever be wrong.

Well, my dear, it obviously doesn't, then! Would have been better if you'd grown up a bit before discovering the internet. Wish you'd say the last bit in front of my teachers- they'd have a good laugh! :biggrin:

It's basic. You are polite at least if you want to get something out of anyway, if you need to be in that cynical a position in the first place. Defensive annoyed people are not going to take you seriously. I wouldn't take you seriously, because the letter is so OTT and you're so bliddy self important. Talk like that when you're fifty....not before. Obviously you've never had to butter anyone up before. Better still- let's not manipulate anyone, and you just accept that life isn't fair and....the sun will rise tomorrow if you don't get 100 UMS. You're taking an awful lot of things for granted- for one that people will have memorised one answer out of loads of past papers they will have done. So the grade boundaries go up by a few marks. I guess then someone misses out, but someone always does, so now's the time to buckle up and learn the lesson.
Reply 185
Original post by . .
No I expect people to go out and use all the free resources such as legacy past papers to the best of their ability.

Every exam board and almost all if not all subjects recycle questions. You seem to be acting like it's the first time something like this has occurred.

did you sit the paper?
Reply 186
Original post by hprmc
you are completely right. no one can argue with what you have said. the people who keep repeating that its out fault for not doing all the past papers are just stupid and do not understand the actual concept of the situation. even if everyone who took this exam had seen the paper before it still would not make it right.
people who do not understand this are just childish,narrow minded people who just like argueing even though they have no valid point. im sorry, i dont ussually call people names, its just that everyone keeps repeating the same about thing "doing more past papers" when they actually do not know what they are talking about.

According to the OP the problem is some people have seen it therefore they are at a advantage and if everyone had seen it nobody would have been at an advantage.
Reply 187
Original post by hprmc
did you sit the paper?

Does it matter?

Do you have to sit the paper to have an opinion on it?
Reply 188
Original post by swiftylol
It's normal for them to recycle questions, but not 11 marks worth of identical questions in a single paper exactly as it previously appeared.

So how many marks would make it okay?
Reply 189
Original post by . .
Does it matter?

Do you have to sit the paper to have an opinion on it?

your remark about exam boards recycling questions all the time clearly shows you do not know what you are talking about and therefore any point you make is invalid.
if you had seen the paper then you would not have made that remark because what you have in mind as recyling questions is clearly different to what has happened here.
so please give your opinions on something you actually know what your talking about.
Original post by otrivine
thats cheating you mean that the teachers might have saw the paper and told their students i go to a private school but my bio teacher did not say anything?

I actually know of someone that goes to a private school and that paper was specifically picked to be revised before the exam knowing that it was the same question.
Reply 191
Original post by . .

and the last time something like this happened was on a GCSE english paper and it was all over the news. so clearly this sort of thing does not happen all the time.
Reply 192
Original post by hardcoreabzii
I actually know of someone that goes to a private school and that paper was specifically picked to be revised before the exam knowing that it was the same question.

Well all the schools do get the papers about 2-4 weeks in advance. But only an independent invigilator is allowed to open the pack.

dont you think that is suspicious i have a feeling that the exam boards send a hard copy of the paper via email so they can see for sure
Reply 194
Are you some kind of moron? When revising for biology, ill doubt they'll look at their physiology past papers for revision, but if it did help them, good for them. I know some of my subjects complement the others and the skills I pick up in one help me in the other.

Can you tell us the name of this school?
Reply 196
Original post by hprmc
your remark about exam boards recycling questions all the time clearly shows you do not know what you are talking about and therefore any point you make is invalid.
if you had seen the paper then you would not have made that remark because what you have in mind as recyling questions is clearly different to what has happened here.
so please give your opinions on something you actually know what your talking about.

I have said this so many times. This is the norm. Exam boards recycle question switch a few words around which doesn't make a difference as what the question is asking is still the same and have the same marking points. It is the same thing except that the words haven't been switched around.

Original post by hprmc
and the last time something like this happened was on a GCSE english paper and it was all over the news. so clearly this sort of thing does not happen all the time.

The media hype anything and everything up.
Original post by . .
So how many marks would make it okay?

Around 2-4 marks max. If they want any more, it should be at least re-worded or not be based on application.
Original post by Flyteryder
Just did it, thanks :smile:

did u send the letter to OCR when they replied tell me what they said ok
Original post by furiousbio_student
Can you tell us the name of this school?

I would but my friend's doing his exams there at the moment! LOL

When theyre over and if you're still interested - I'll tell you but only after he's left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending