The Student Room Group

Bolton University

Okay, after making a thread trying to find out some information about Bolton Uni, some people replied saying it wasnt all that at all..

After going to their Open Day yesturday, It has to have left the best impression on people compared to any other university I and others have been to.

I spoke to some other lads who have been to other Uni open days and they said Bolton's has been the greatest so far.

It was VERY well organised, packed full of information, aswell they made sure you knew what courses were currently achieving in the national average and they were not scared to show anything if it was under the average.

As for the small buffet they did it was a lot better than anywhere else I have been to; Sandwhiches, cake, crisps and drink... (yeah it was a normal buffet... not just a drink and a biscuit...)

The subject area talk was awsome, it was 4 hours long for the ICT one but they made sure to put a break in half way and a tour of their studios etc. It also gave a much friendlier time to talk to the tutors of the courses.

The facilities that the ICT side of the uni has is pretty amazing, some nice tools that can be used etc. They also dont just use one specific product to do things such as 3D graphics, they have Maya and 3DsMax

The university itself is a rather nicely small uni that has roughly 9,000 students and the tutors believe they know nearly everyone there in the uni. Some people may see this as a good thing or a bad thing.

The last thing to talk about is the only downside to the university. The accomidation. rather small rooms and well the kitchens looked quite a bit dated. However they have installed the internet into EVERY room at both halls. The cost of the internet is £50 per year for unlimited access. (I cant remember what speed sorry)

Well in conclusion, I know that every university IS trying to sell their courses. However I do believe that Bolton did very well at actually showing examples of the input and development of the courses they teach along with the output results of projects and students teaching materials... I would recommend anyone to visit one of their open days that are interested in computer games or game/film special special effects. (visual effects, oh and pyrotechnics and animatronics gets covered)

I hope some people do find this helpful and decide to check it out if they are still unsure about what they are doing and even goes to students wanting to apply for next year. It may be a new university but they have done really really well with their money and time and the tutors are very friendly!
Reply 1
I've just started my first year at bolton university and I think it's ok. What I really like about the university is that it isn't trying to prove anything...it isn't really snobbish like alot of other universities I visited, like Manchester MET. The teachers that I know are very experienced and are really passionate about their subjects.
But if you want to go to a very popular uni with lots of things to show off then Bolton isn't the one. If you want somewhere that really encourages self-learning, and that offers a very comfortable place to study, I would suggest Bolton.
Reply 2
I just went on an open day there a few weeks back. It looked great- it's one of the smallest universities, and if you're not too picky about the accomodation, it looked fine. I was having a look at the Psychology courses, and I have to say, it looked very impressive, and the courses have accreditation from the British Psychological Society, so you can't argue. Most people were there for the Computer Games courses, which looked great, too.

I'll definitely apply there- it's easy to get into, so would make a good back up if I can't get into others.
Reply 3
Would anyone recommend Bolton for international students aiming to start undergrad studies there? I read a few other threads on Bolton university and it seems to me that public opinion on BU is constantly improving since its promotion to university status in 2004.

Any opinions on Joint Honours at Bolton? Is it well organized or rather dysfunctional?

What aboiut accomodation? It wasn't that good accordings to threads started in 2004. What's the current situation?
I live in Bolton, and honestly the university's the joke of the town. It's the one that college teachers threaten you with - "with these grades you'll be lucky to get into Bolton..." etc. - and...well. I don't want to influence you too much, because I only know what I've heard, but what I've heard is really negative.
Reply 5
johnnytwobands
I live in Bolton, and honestly the university's the joke of the town. It's the one that college teachers threaten you with - "with these grades you'll be lucky to get into Bolton..." etc. - and...well. I don't want to influence you too much, because I only know what I've heard, but what I've heard is really negative.

I live near Sunderland, and Sunderland Uni gets the same treatment, but people from say, Nottingham have gone there and adored it. It's just snobbery in the end, I think.
Reply 6
Bolton is one of my top choices for university next year, they have one of the best english departments in the country!
Siniquity
Bolton is one of my top choices for university next year, they have one of the best english departments in the country!

ooooo tell me more, I'm considering either a Joint Hon's in English and Creative Writing, or just the stright forward BA in English at Bolton.

Could you please tell me what the teachers in that dep etc are like and how the course is (if you did attend Bolton in the end, and if not what your overall impressions were from the open day etc).

Thanks!!!
Reply 8
Siniquity

doubt it.
Reply 9
will274
doubt it.

They do actually, I'm not going to say it's top but considering it is 'new' and small. There statistics are really good.
Even my college tutor was impressed by them.
Siniquity
They do actually, I'm not going to say it's top but considering it is 'new' and small. There statistics are really good.
Even my college tutor was impressed by them.

Really? I'm going to study English Language and I consider applying to Bolton (this year... a bit late but hopefully I get an offer) but they're 111th in the Times' guide, which makes me think that they're not really good at all.
johnnytwobands

Me too. And ditto.

I do have friends who go there, in fact my brother does and my parents did as well, but it's all due to circumstances - notably the location being very close to home.

But if you want a proper uni experience then Bolton isn't really the place to be, ESPECIALLY if you consider yourself a bit 'alternative'...it's a pretty vile place and I don't think it'll ever have a student vibe. Tell you what it has got though if this suits you....a chav vibe.

Ugh. I've been jaded by 20 years of living here I guess, but I wouldn't go to Bolton Uni in a million years even if it was considered prestigious, simply because I hate the town.
Reply 12
I went to an open day and thought it was the best i had been to by far, i got an offer on the spot for their photography degree and right now it is the one i am going to. The tutors were very encouraging, definatly knew what they were talking about and had real passion about their subject. Also the facilities in the art subjects were some of the best i have seen!
the university is obviously small but in the midst of a lot of cities there is always those places if you need to get away.
My best friend is 18 and lives in Bolton and absolutely loves it, and she is far from being a 'chav'.
like people have said the university is not trying to prove itself to anyone, a real plus for me. A university experience is what you make it.
Portsmoth university is used in the same way as people have said at my college, but i have been to the university and its definatly not as bad as the locals make out.
LouisianaPuuurchase
Me too. And ditto.

I do have friends who go there, in fact my brother does and my parents did as well, but it's all due to circumstances - notably the location being very close to home.

But if you want a proper uni experience then Bolton isn't really the place to be, ESPECIALLY if you consider yourself a bit 'alternative'...it's a pretty vile place and I don't think it'll ever have a student vibe. Tell you what it has got though if this suits you....a chav vibe.

Ugh. I've been jaded by 20 years of living here I guess, but I wouldn't go to Bolton Uni in a million years even if it was considered prestigious, simply because I hate the town.

Exactly this :p:
Bolton has a university 0_o
Reply 15
There is a really simple reason why anybody with and sense should boycott Bolton. Two words: George Holmes, the V-C. Just Google this clown and read the articles in Private Eye etc. He is a national embarrassment and brings the entire institution down. He makes Donald Trump look like Stephen Hawking.
Original post by LawManc
There is a really simple reason why anybody with and sense should boycott Bolton. Two words: George Holmes, the V-C. Just Google this clown and read the articles in Private Eye etc. He is a national embarrassment and brings the entire institution down. He makes Donald Trump look like Stephen Hawking.

As everyone in Bolton can tell you, he has brought the University to its knees. All the decent staff are gone, replaced by interns or low calibre people, and in some jobs, even worse, cronies of the management.
A boycott, brilliant idea, that might send him packing.
Word of warning to anyone reading comments on TSR about Bolton - don't necessarily believe all the good comments. They have been known to pay students to put good comments out there. don't be fooled.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending