The Student Room Group

'Locked-in syndrome' man's right-to-die case starts

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Sorry for the late edit. My wording didn't seem 'of sound mind' :tongue:

But honestly I disagree I think there will be far too many. We hear selfish acts of violence/ brutality in the news all the time. I think that allowing someone to die would just encourage people to do this knowing that they would technically not be breaking the law. I too have faith in humanity, in most cases, but there WILL be attempts to get some people legally killed off for convenience (of some kind) and I think we should avoid this at all costs. I realise that this means that many people with zero/ low quality of life will not be allowed to choose to die, but I think I'd rather that opening the floodgates to perpetrators getting with murder.

I agree that we do hear of violent cases in the news all the time and I also think that there will, as you say, be people who try to get some kind of gain if the law was put through. But I don't think there are that many people who would be that callous. I can see what you mean but purely practically, even if a number of people die unlawfully due to this law, it can potentially help millions more. Surely that's worth it?
Original post by ANARCHY__
I agree that we do hear of violent cases in the news all the time and I also think that there will, as you say, be people who try to get some kind of gain if the law was put through. But I don't think there are that many people who would be that callous. I can see what you mean but purely practically, even if a number of people die unlawfully due to this law, it can potentially help millions more. Surely that's worth it?

I'm a little upset that you feel that even just a small number of people dying against their will is acceptable. What if that was one of your relatives?

And this is precisely the nub of the argument. There are probably more people out there like this than you realise. ( I know in my family there are two people waiting for another two to die just so they can get inheritance - they are that callous) But the law is there to protect these vulnerable cases which is why the law won't be changed. I don't agree with it but I understand why it is there.
I'm a little upset that you feel that even just a small number of people dying against their will is acceptable. What if that was one of your relatives?

Perhaps I should have worded it better. I would feel awful if anybody died under the law. However, I would feel worse knowing that there are millions more suffering in pain. Understandably, any loss of life is regrettable but I think it is better that, if anyone has to die, the number should be as small as possible with as little pain. I think by putting through this legislation, it helps that.

As to whether it was one of my relatives, I can only say that I don't think the situation would ever come up. My family are incredibly family-orientated and anybody who suggested such a thing - as I would imagine would be the case in most families - would be rejected.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
And this is precisely the nub of the argument. There are probably more people out there like this than you realise. ( I know in my family there are two people waiting for another two to die just so they can get inheritance - they are that callous) But the law is there to protect these vulnerable cases which is why the law won't be changed. I don't agree with it but I understand why it is there.

I don't deny it. I do think there will be people who will die unnecessarily, cruelly and unlawfully, were this legislation to be put through. But in purely numerical terms, I believe more people would benefit.

Out of curiosity (please do not feel the need to answer if you don't wish), are the people who are expected to die of sound mind/body?
This doesn't even merit a discussion. Anybody opposing this man's sovereignty over his own body is a moron.

Here's a good parallel demonstrating the difference between murder and euthanasia:

If I had sex with a girl who didn't want it, it is rape. If I had sex with a girl who did, it's all happy funfun times for everyone.

When someone doesn't want to die, that is murder (but the death penalty is still legal in many countries OOOOLOLOOLOOL) but if they want to die, then is it just euthanasia.
Reply 46
I think the fact that suicide and assisted suicide is illegal is so dumb, I know what your thinking - how can someone who commits suicide be arrested ... they're dead. But in some countries like India they will literally send you to PRISON for attempting and failing to commit suicide a lot of the time people fail to commit suicide.

I know the case you linked is more complex but it comes down to this: nobody asks to be born ever. You get born without asking. In my opinion there are few things as immoral as not letting someone die who wants to simply because they never asked to be born in the first place.

I think if new born babies were completely intelligent and self aware when they were born and after they were born they went into a room where they watched a 5 hour long presentation on the earth, about the lives they might live, the things that go on, the inevitability of death and the insignificance of the earth and themselves in the universe. After watching this I think around 0.1% would chose not to bother with life they would just say 'thanks but this is not for me'. And that's fine.

Having said this I do not recommend suicide for anyone especially young people I'm sure that for the majority who considers it their life gets better. But if someone if absolutely sure they do not want to live you can not refuse them the right the death because they never asked to be born.
I don't deny it. I do think there will be people who will die unnecessarily, cruelly and unlawfully, were this legislation to be put through. But in purely numerical terms, I believe more people would benefit.

Out of curiosity (please do not feel the need to answer if you don't wish), are the people who are expected to die of sound mind/body?

The same happened in my family. A specific person started doing a lot more for an elderly person when it came about the she was ill (not terminally). Eventually it got to the stage that she was so ill that she couldn't get out of bed and was incapable of communicating. However, whenever she saw her grandchildren she smiled. It would have been easy to convince someone that she had zero quality of life. Personally I'm sure she held on for those moments of seeing her children and grandchildren, but the truth is that I had no better idea than anyone else, and it shouldn't be possible for people to decide for her.

I think that considreing people in numerical terms is pretty cold to be honest. If you had to choose between one person dying possibly against their will, and one person living against their will (which is vaguely what this could become, should anyone take advantage of this) would you really feel that death against will is more acceptable than life against will?
Reply 48
Really?

You'd rather a law be passed so that people can legally put to death, than prevent the greed and injustice of people with a sick relative (or whatever - to the point of low/ zero quality of life) who could convince the state that they would want to die?

I just don't think we're able to put enough in pace to prevent against the latter in favour of the former.

(Sorry for late edits, keep missing words out :facepalm: )

Can you give an example of how a greedy relative could do this? The law just needs to cover people who have an objective low quality of life, bringing in relatives who aren't nice to them is subjective so would either be excluded or decided case by case. You'd have to get the state to provide care for the people being abused by their relatives, but arguably that should be in place anyway.

Phew - when you put it like that - numerical terms you lose the argument. Our democracy protects the minority against the majority. I agree with you in this case it is not right.

As to my family. One son and his wife are waiting for his mother to die - she is of sound mind - they are skint. It is too awful to think about how they have treated her. The same two are also waiting for an aunt to die. She however has Alzheimers ( they have already tried to extract money from her)

In the latter case - the rest of the family has been in discussion about how we deal with her. Is it dignified for her to loose her marbles and be treated as a baby - when the rest of her body is as strong as an ox. Obviously it is not the same as the case we have been discussing, but it is an issue that will become increasingly common over the next few years.
Reply 50
The law will not be changed, because it would open the floodgates for people wanting to kill off their disabled relatives.

Daily Mail inspired nonsense. Do you imagine that a new law would not include safeguards, that it would just open the way for a relative to say 'Dad's a bit of a pain now, I'm sick of his war stories' and give him a quick OD. A new law would almost certainly require a commitee of medical and lay people to reach a decision. There will be far stronger safeguards than those we have for ending life in PVS or 'brains death' cases.
Your argument is absurd.

I do support him and I cannot imagine how awful his life must be. We would not allow an animal to exist like this, yet to "put down" a human goes against all that our moral codes dictate.

We are not 'putting down' a human. That is ridiculously emotive and doesn't represent the reality. We are allowinf someone to end their life, or enlist help to do so without fear of prosectution. This is allowing the decision of a competent person, not deciding we think it is the 'kindest thing'.

Our moral code, if we can talk about that as a homogenous entity, easily allows for us to act to prevent suffering. What we currently do is far more contrary to our stated moral codes. We are denying self determination to a comeptent person and we are forcing almost unendurable suffering on him. Our moral code quite clearly says that this should be allowed, the difficulty is in framing a law that provides good safeguards.

The best outcome for him would be to request that no post mortem be done and then he could be injected with an overdose of insulin or something similar.

Yes, because of course his wishes would be listened to and the law would not investigate a sudden death following all of this outcry. Get real.

The law as it stands does not allow assisted suicide, it is illegal. Despite his request for no PM a PM would be carried out, it's the law.

It is religion and squeamishness that prevents us from having a law, not morality. Fortunately the tide of opinion is changing and the law is movong, as slowly as the law usually does, to follow that tide. The law will lag behind, there has to be some sort of latency to prevent silly fashionable swings or kneejerk reactions like our gun ban, but it will catch up and there will be a la allowing assisted suicide.

I'd bet my life on it.
Reply 51
Original post by sammy-lou
What sort of quality of life has he got right now? If I were in that situation, I think I'd want to die too. And I think it's disgusting that in a 'liberal' society we are denying someone the opportunity to make that decision for himself. He's rational and sane, therefore it is his choice, not down to some one-size-fits-all, follow-the-law-to-the-letter legal ruling.

Your sig is gold
Original post by Hopple
Can you give an example of how a greedy relative could do this? The law just needs to cover people who have an objective low quality of life, bringing in relatives who aren't nice to them is subjective so would either be excluded or decided case by case. You'd have to get the state to provide care for the people being abused by their relatives, but arguably that should be in place anyway.

I agree with thelast part you posted. It is just far too difficult to draw the line. A load of greedy relatives could easily argue that someone has low/ zero quality of life if they have little means of communication.

On the whole, I wish that everyone who IS suffering zero quality of life COULD make their own decision. I just don't feel that it would be anywhere near possible to draw a line between themselves choosing, and someone choosing for them. Chances are, if your quality of life is that low, it is difficult for you to communicate anyway.
Reply 53
I'm amazed at the stupidity of the people who seem to think this is a law that will allow people to 'put down' their sick relatives. The sooner these morons do their research and shut up the sooner we will have a law which guarantees autonomy over your own body.
The same happened in my family. A specific person started doing a lot more for an elderly person when it came about the she was ill (not terminally). Eventually it got to the stage that she was so ill that she couldn't get out of bed and was incapable of communicating. However, whenever she saw her grandchildren she smiled. It would have been easy to convince someone that she had zero quality of life. Personally I'm sure she held on for those moments of seeing her children and grandchildren, but the truth is that I had no better idea than anyone else, and it shouldn't be possible for people to decide for her.

I think that considreing people in numerical terms is pretty cold to be honest. If you had to choose between one person dying possibly against their will, and one person living against their will (which is vaguely what this could become, should anyone take advantage of this) would you really feel that death against will is more acceptable than life against will?

I think in what you said, the decision is entirely up to the person involved to make their decision. I'm not advocating any kind of forced suicide or decision making to be made by the next of kin. I can only imagine that would happen if it was medically assessed that the person's life will unquestionably deteriorate and severely or rapidly.

I'm not saying we should choose between one person or the other and I don't mean for there to be some kind of comparison between those that live and die. However, I think there's simply more people who want to die than those who want to kill them for personal gain. If that's the case, why would it be cold to think in those terms to allow people, so long as they are able to rationally think, to commit suicide?

Phew - when you put it like that - numerical terms you lose the argument. Our democracy protects the minority against the majority. I agree with you in this case it is not right.

As to my family. One son and his wife are waiting for his mother to die - she is of sound mind - they are skint. It is too awful to think about how they have treated her. The same two are also waiting for an aunt to die. She however has Alzheimers ( they have already tried to extract money from her)

In the latter case - the rest of the family has been in discussion about how we deal with her. Is it dignified for her to loose her marbles and be treated as a baby - when the rest of her body is as strong as an ox. Obviously it is not the same as the case we have been discussing, but it is an issue that will become increasingly common over the next few years.

But the majority of people who are suffering aren't harming the minority of people who may face medical malpractice/murder etc. It's not the majority against the minority in this case. The two are not opposed. In actual fact, the minority are the people who are suffering terminal illnesses or debilitating diseases. We, the majority, are oppressing our form and standards upon them

It is sad to hear that about your family and to know that you have to face living with that sort of, I assume, constant tension. I cannot speak on things which matter on a personal level to you but I would say people of sound mind should decide for themselves. Where the mind loses its faculty to make decisions or think rationally, this is where we must be careful. Primarily because the person may well be under medical care, it would be easier to assess whether they are fit and able to make a decision such as taking their own life but I think we risk stagnating as a society if we do not progress and have open discussions - such as this - on the topic. Not long ago, suicide was illegal.
Reply 55
I agree with thelast part you posted. It is just far too difficult to draw the line. A load of greedy relatives could easily argue that someone has low/ zero quality of life if they have little means of communication.

On the whole, I wish that everyone who IS suffering zero quality of life COULD make their own decision. I just don't feel that it would be anywhere near possible to draw a line between themselves choosing, and someone choosing for them. Chances are, if your quality of life is that low, it is difficult for you to communicate anyway.

What if they can communicate? A choice between living with relatives, living in care or dying quickly might seem grim, but it's better than simply a choice of living with relatives or living in care.

Another thing, if a relative is capable of convincing them to choose death, and chooses to convince them to choose death, then leaving them with that relative is hardly a good idea either.
Original post by GStevens
I'm amazed at the stupidity of the people who seem to think this is a law that will allow people to 'put down' their sick relatives. The sooner these morons do their research and shut up the sooner we will have a law which guarantees autonomy over your own body.

In such simple terms of course it sounds stupid. But in the case of a person who is bed ridden and unable to communicate, for a simple example, I would sincerely hope that they are protected against anyone who argues that said person 'should be allowed to die'. This is a fairly commo scenario after all.

If it could be clear cut and only people who can voice their own opinion could be considered then I may be swayed, I just fear that drawing the line would be difficult.

I hope they are treated the same when they grow old as they are treating her. I agree the law is there is to protect vulnerable adults, but an exception should be made for people who have something like locked-in syndrome, and any euthanasia should be carried out with the use of psychiatrists, doctors to make sure that the decision is rationally made and not forced, and is not behind closed doors. The man is essentially being tortured and he cannot even scream, the fact that this is happening here is the greatest travesty. There at the very least needs to be an amendment to the law.
Reply 58
Original post by tesmifami
I think the fact that suicide and assisted suicide is illegal is so dumb, I know what your thinking - how can someone who commits suicide be arrested ... they're dead. But in some countries like India they will literally send you to PRISON for attempting and failing to commit suicide a lot of the time people fail to commit suicide.

I know the case you linked is more complex but it comes down to this: nobody asks to be born ever. You get born without asking. In my opinion there are few things as immoral as not letting someone die who wants to simply because they never asked to be born in the first place.

I think if new born babies were completely intelligent and self aware when they were born and after they were born they went into a room where they watched a 5 hour long presentation on the earth, about the lives they might live, the things that go on, the inevitability of death and the insignificance of the earth and themselves in the universe. After watching this I think around 0.1% would chose not to bother with life they would just say 'thanks but this is not for me'. And that's fine.

Having said this I do not recommend suicide for anyone especially young people I'm sure that for the majority who considers it their life gets better. But if someone if absolutely sure they do not want to live you can not refuse them the right the death because they never asked to be born.

the act of suicide is no longer illegal it was scratched from the books back in the sixties i i remember rightly. Only the latter is still illegal. Although that being said depending on the circumstances of the case most juries seem to find the accused not guilty anyway, really ****s off the prosecuters :rolleyes:
Reply 59
Original post by GStevens

This!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending