The Student Room Group

Higher English

I have just gone into 6th year and have had a year out of English. I began Higher English and I am struggling. I only got a 2 at SG. Is there anything I can do over the summer to improve all my skills? I have to write a critical essay in 45 minutes by the end of the week on a poem and I literally do not know what to write?! Does anybody have any tips for me?
Plan for 5/10 minutes, write for 30 and edit for 5/10. This is the best way to get your essay written because then you don't have to think about what to write about next you just look at your plan.
I would recommend reading this textbook over the summer and memorising the terminology and how to identify certain writing techniques: it'll make both essays and close readings easier.

For English essays I had a 2-3 line template I would use for contructing an introduction for anything in a few seconds. Something that very quickly introduces: the writer (novel/playwright/poet), the text (novel/play/poem) and a one-sentence summary of the text that is relevant to the question. Then another sentence that basically repeats the question and introduces the techniques you're going to analyse in your essay. Example:

"Choose a poem which conveys a menacing character.
By referring closely to the poem, explain how the poet creates the menacing character and how convincingly they are portrayed."

“Havisham” by Carol Ann Duffy is a powerful poem that depicts a lonely, menacing woman. Havisham based on the character, Miss Havisham, from Charles Dicken’s novel “Great Expectations” is an intimidating, miserable woman who was left at the altar on her wedding day. She holds anger and regret against this ordeal and has become bitter over time. The poet uses a variety of poetic techniques including word choice, imagery and form to convincingly portray Havisham as this foreboding character.

Aim to make around six points (inc. intro + conclusion this will give you around eight paragraphs) in your answer and add more if you have time. The fastest way is to introduce your point in a sentence, quote the text and then analyse it in a way that will back-up your point.

The conclusion should refer back to the question and summarise all the points you have made.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending