The Student Room Group

What happens if I show up to open days without booking?

I was hoping to attend UCL's open day, but I see that they're fully booked.

Is there any way to get in without having booked? What would happen if I just turned up? Would they have any way of knowing? Would they turn me away? Could it affect my chances of getting into the university if I got caught?
Reply 1
I wouldn't imagine so, you can probably easily sneak past the registration table and then just melt into a group. But you might not get your hands on any of the flim-flam they give you like schedule, map, prospectus...
Reply 2
You will have your head removed and it shall be impaled on top of the college library, as a warning to all.
All hell will break loose! Lol, well you can turn up and walk round no problems but if you're wanting to go on the talks you might not be able to. You could blag your way in, say you booked online but your name isn't on the list or you rung up the other day and someone said they'd put you on the list.

Won't there be another open day soon though? Is this for the 2013 entries or this year?
The only thing which you might not get into would be the talks, otherwise the rest would be fine :smile:
Reply 5
If the talks are all pre-booked and say they are full, they probably are. But you could always go and see if there's a spare seat! So far, all my open day talks I had to book to had to bring a ticket with a number on which they would check off. Although not all Unis do this. You could still go and get a feel for the Uni and you could go and see if the talk had a spare seat. For regular Uni talks, like Accomodation talks, you should be alright to walk in, but departmental talks, they might be full! :smile:
Just do what I do. I turn up and say I did register, must be something wrong with their system, basically make crap up and they let you in anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by RowingGoose
All hell will break loose! Lol, well you can turn up and walk round no problems but if you're wanting to go on the talks you might not be able to. You could blag your way in, say you booked online but your name isn't on the list or you rung up the other day and someone said they'd put you on the list.

Won't there be another open day soon though? Is this for the 2013 entries or this year?

Yes, I'm a 2013 entry. There might be another open day in the autumn, but I want to go sooner to help me make up my mind which university I should go to.
Original post by Rasceta
Yes, I'm a 2013 entry. There might be another open day in the autumn, but I want to go sooner to help me make up my mind which university I should go to.

Ah right, well you've got loads of time then. If you wanted to, you could try both times? Turn up this time and get a feel for the place, then if you'd like to go on specific talks then go in autumn..if it's not too much trouble/money. In the mean time you can be seeing other unis?

I went through clearing, so I had to ring up the unis to see if they had any places then I booked to go visit the next day! There were just two more other people and one woman showed us round, but I didn't go on any talks. But I doubt if they would do that this early on in the application process. You could still try ringing up tho maybe? and I'm sure you can book on accommodation tours without having signed up for the main thing.
Reply 9
For UCL Open Day, they sent your an email and asked you to print it and take it with you on the day. I don't think they will hang you if you try to sneak in . BUT it's only an Open Day, if you only want to get a feel of it, you can go anytime. Not a very good indication of your character if you were told it's fully booked and you still wanted do it your way anyway knowing it very well that they will have another Open Day in less than 3 months time 11th & 12 September.
Reply 10
Original post by poony
For UCL Open Day, they sent your an email and asked you to print it and take it with you on the day. I don't think they will hang you if you try to sneak in . BUT it's only an Open Day, if you only want to get a feel of it, you can go anytime. Not a very good indication of your character if you were told it's fully booked and you still wanted do it your way anyway knowing it very well that they will have another Open Day in less than 3 months time 11th & 12 September.

Hey guys, why is this getting negged? Can anyone provide some explanation?
Reply 11
Just turn up and say you deffo booked online..
Reply 12
I recently went to Canterburch Christ Church university and I booked before hand, however I recieved a green slip in the post to be given in beforehand and there was no where to give it in, so I wouldnt think this would be a problem!
they'll throw you out and beat you with sticks.

seriously though, they won't be that strict - if it's not too far from you, there's no harm in going to look as you most probably will be able to get in. Even if you don't get into talks about the course/admission, you can still look at the building you potentially might be studying in, talk to current students and look at accommodation. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending