The Student Room Group

A Levels vs IB for Maths

I'm currently trying to choose between A Levels and IB for sixth form in September. I would love to do Maths at one of the top unis, and I'm wondering which course would prepare me more. I have emailed several unis about this, but I have yet to receive replies from most of them and the responses I have received have been vague, contradictory and not that helpful.

If I did IB, I would do:
Higher Maths
Higher Economics
Higher English
Standard Biology
Standard Latin
Standard History

If I did A Levels I would do all of these to A2:
Maths
Further Maths
English
History

Doing English at uni is my back up plan in case I suddenly decide against doing Maths, hence what might be seen as some weird subject combinations.

Any thoughts? I've been struggling to decide for several months now and would really appreciate some honest advice!

*I also did a couple of AS subjects early this year (Economics, Science, English Lang&Lit and Citizenship)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Imo don't do IB if you don't want to go to univercity overseas. For maths if you have your mind set it would be much better to do something like physics, i think top unis for maths will not seriously look at english and history. A-level should ideally provide you with more depths in your subject which you should want, the passion for the subject is the key to success.
Also IB people have higher workload which will not benefit you.
Reply 2
I know English and History seem weird but I'm worried that if I struggle with Maths at A Level, then that's basically two subjects I won't do well in (Maths and FM), so by having two essay subjects at least I'll hopefully be able to change my plans and do English at uni instead. I really love Maths but I have to be realistic and have a back up in case I cock it up at AS...plus English and History are the only other subjects I enjoy. I don't think I'd mind the workload for IB too much but I see what you're saying, it seems a bit unnecessary!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
*Bump* :-)
Reply 4
I'd recommend sticking with A levels unless you want to study abroad. I did the IB myself and it was a LOT of work and left quite a few of us a bit burnt out - it is 7 subjects after all. It does turn you into an intellectually well-rounded person with a strong work ethic, but it doesn't increase your chances of getting into uni at all compared to A levels, so you might as well spare yourself the trouble! Unis also do tend to give higher conditions for IB students - they give you conditions for your higher level subects as well as your overall score. This means that if you mess up one of your standard level subjects (which will probably be completely unrelated to the course anyway), you might miss your offer. Not necessarily the case, but something to think about.

If you do A levels, I'd skip History and English too - if you want to get into good unis for maths, you will have to show ability in more than one science subject. There's a lot of other things you can do with maths apart from a straight Maths degree - business, finance, physics, management etc, so you won't be limiting your options.
If you are going for Maths then I would recommend doing A Levels as it allows you to study the subject at a greater depth with Maths, Further Maths, and even Additional Further Maths if it floats your boat! I have heard the IB is more difficult and teaches a wider breadth of knowledge but from all the open days I have been to (Also a prospective Maths applicant) the universities much prefer you to have a depth of knowledge in Maths than a hugely rounded knowledge of less relevant subjects.

If you particularly enjoy Maths then A Levels also carry the advantage of letting you essentially study nothing but Maths if you go for something like Maths, Further Maths, and Physics, which means if you're a very keen Mathematician you may find yourself more liable to score more highly in A Levels.
Reply 6
Do you think I'm seriously hindering my chances of getting into do Maths at a top uni by doing the IB then? Or even if I do A Levels, do you think that I'm still possibly holding myself back by not doing another science? I know many Maths applicants do Physics, but for most Maths uni courses it's not essential, so I thought I would avoid it, especially as I don't enjoy it! I'm also very reluctant to drop History/English, just in case I change my mind or struggle with Maths and want to do English at uni. Thanks for the advice though :-)

Quick Reply

Latest