The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Move to LSE vs Stay at Leeds

Hi all,
I am currently studying BSc Economics at the University of Leeds and over Christmas I reapplied for university because I wasn’t really a massive fan of the course and I never really saw Leeds as that prestigious (particularly as I wanted to go into IB). Now i’ve gotten into LSE but it’s for Accounting and Finance which I know isn’t the most well regarded subject. The question is do I want to finish my course at Leeds because it may get better or restart and go to London and do a course I may be more likely to enjoy? I’m not really bothered about becoming an economist anyway. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi all,
I am currently studying BSc Economics at the University of Leeds and over Christmas I reapplied for university because I wasn’t really a massive fan of the course and I never really saw Leeds as that prestigious (particularly as I wanted to go into IB). Now i’ve gotten into LSE but it’s for Accounting and Finance which I know isn’t the most well regarded subject. The question is do I want to finish my course at Leeds because it may get better or restart and go to London and do a course I may be more likely to enjoy? I’m not really bothered about becoming an economist anyway. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:.

If your goal is IB then you are better off going to LSE. A massive misconception is that people think they need to do Economics to get in.They honestly couldn't care less about the type of degree you do, I have seen people with music degrees get into the industry. The type of university you go to is going to play a bigger factor. I am not sure what you don't like about the Leeds course but if it's because of the maths then your likely not going to be better off at LSE as their degrees are much more quantitative and also more intense - I have no idea about accounting and finance though so it may have less maths.

I am personally going to study at Leeds later this year and decided not to go to LSE as I didn't like the environment/course there much and its way too close to home. It's going to be harder to break into finance from Leeds vs LSE but if you put in the work then you should still be able to do it. As long as you get pass that initial CV stage, university means next to nothing and it's all about your performance.

This is completely dependent on you of course what the best choice is but if you are genuinely not enjoying the course at Leeds and would prefer it at Leeds then I would recommend moving but don't just do it because LSE is more prestigious. The culture at LSE vs Leeds is world's apart so you may not like it there either.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Anonymous #2
If your goal is IB then you are better off going to LSE. A massive misconception is that people think they need to do Economics to get in.They honestly couldn't care less about the type of degree you do, I have seen people with music degrees get into the industry. The type of university you go to is going to play a bigger factor. I am not sure what you don't like about the Leeds course but if it's because of the maths then your likely not going to be better off at LSE as their degrees are much more quantitative and also more intense - I have no idea about accounting and finance though so it may have less maths.
I am personally going to study at Leeds later this year and decided not to go to LSE as I didn't like the environment/course there much and its way too close to home. It's going to be harder to break into finance from Leeds vs LSE but if you put in the work then you should still be able to do it. As long as you get pass that initial CV stage, university means next to nothing and it's all about your performance.
This is completely dependent on you of course what the best choice is but if you are genuinely not enjoying the course at Leeds and would prefer it at Leeds then I would recommend moving but don't just do it because LSE is more prestigious. The culture at LSE vs Leeds is world's apart so you may not like it there either.
Also it depends how far you are at your current course as if you are in your 2nd year, I don't think you are going to be able to secure funding from SF for your 5th year. So you should also consider the financial implications as you will be accumulating more debt.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2

Cheers! It’s not the maths but the essays on pointless topics that are draining me though 2nd semester has been a little better in that regard. I’m in first year so not a ridiculous set back but still inconvenient.
Are you aware that economics, finance, and accounting anyways mathematics stuff is the most draining courses at LSE? I'd speak about competition and pressure, people there are really good and very competitive if you are not good enough be ready for breaking down. I’m not joking people there don’t joke about being incompetent and competition
hey, congrats on your offer. personally I would move to LSE for the better prospects. I see you are in first year. a year set back really isn't much.

could I ask you what your offer is contingent upon? is it just on A level results, a pass in first year, or a certain grade? I have also reapplied in the hopes of getting in, because I'm not very into where I currently am. is it possible for you to just drop out or do you have to complete the year?

I would really appreciate to hear back
Reply 6
Original post by edfoeasol
hey, congrats on your offer. personally I would move to LSE for the better prospects. I see you are in first year. a year set back really isn't much.
could I ask you what your offer is contingent upon? is it just on A level results, a pass in first year, or a certain grade? I have also reapplied in the hopes of getting in, because I'm not very into where I currently am. is it possible for you to just drop out or do you have to complete the year?
I would really appreciate to hear back

Hey there! I have to complete the year and get a 2:1 which is fine but annoying. Not sure if they’re going to be happy when I tell them about Leeds’s marking strikes hahaha.
Hey there! I have to complete the year and get a 2:1 which is fine but annoying. Not sure if they’re going to be happy when I tell them about Leeds’s marking strikes hahaha.

ah damn. this is my biggest concern if I get an offer. I really doubt my ability to get a 2:1 this year owing to a number of reasons.
Reply 8
ah damn. this is my biggest concern if I get an offer. I really doubt my ability to get a 2:1 this year owing to a number of reasons.

Don’t knock yourself! If you do get that offer you’ll get extra motivation. Though they do seem to literally just spin a wheel when giving you a grade at uni
Don’t knock yourself! If you do get that offer you’ll get extra motivation. Though they do seem to literally just spin a wheel when giving you a grade at uni

thanks, does seem that way sometimes. the idea of just dropping out right now so I can avoid the offer being contingent upon my first year grade sounds really appealing, but the chance of getting an LSE offer is really low (also unsure if that'd even work..), and they take their sweet time. I expect to hear back by late April. LSE is the only one I'd drop out for, but I'm really unhappy where I currently am.

h
thanks, does seem that way sometimes. the idea of just dropping out right now so I can avoid the offer being contingent upon my first year grade sounds really appealing, but the chance of getting an LSE offer is really low (also unsure if that'd even work..), and they take their sweet time. I expect to hear back by late April. LSE is the only one I'd drop out for, but I'm really unhappy where I currently am.
h

I mean if you drop out you could go to another university that isn’t LSE surely? Also what course are you doing and moving to, just wondering why you’re also wanting to drop out?
Original post by WillPara
I mean if you drop out you could go to another university that isn’t LSE surely? Also what course are you doing and moving to, just wondering why you’re also wanting to drop out?

doing law and wanting to do law at LSE. unhappy where I am because of regrets over not taking a gap year, being burned out from A levels, not moving out meaning a severe lack of social life, generally my mental health not being good this year and lots of other things. - which also has meant my poor performance this year.

to be honest I am in a pretty good university for my subject, and the other ones I applied to aren't as good, and also aren't in London, so I don't care to go to those. besides LSE I would only switch to UCL (which happened to reject me).
(edited 3 weeks ago)
doing law and wanting to do law at LSE. unhappy where I am because of regrets over not taking a gap year, being burned out from A levels, not moving out meaning a severe lack of social life, generally my mental health not being good this year and lots of other things.
to be honest I am in a pretty good university for my subject, and the other ones I applied to aren't as good, and also aren't in London, so I don't care to go to those. besides LSE I would only switch to UCL (which happened to reject me).

Yeah I was essentially the same. Got good A-level grades and what most people would say to me is why are you at Leeds hahaha. I reckon you shouldn’t drop out because it is a gamble and 2nd year may not be as terrible as well.
Yeah I was essentially the same. Got good A-level grades and what most people would say to me is why are you at Leeds hahaha. I reckon you shouldn’t drop out because it is a gamble and 2nd year may not be as terrible as well.

that's fair. Leeds is good though lol. I suppose you're right not dropping out because it's a gamble, wish there was some way to forgo that first year grade requirement though, if I got an offer.
that's fair. Leeds is good though lol. I suppose you're right not dropping out because it's a gamble, wish there was some way to forgo that first year grade requirement though, if I got an offer.

Is it that unachievable? Maybe you can organise some mitigating circumstances?
Is it that unachievable? Maybe you can organise some mitigating circumstances?

I can't see myself doing that well. unfortunately I don't think I have any mitigating circumstances severe enough to qualify, it's more personal problems. thanks for the idea though - would be easier if they just don't give me an offer to be fair lmao
I can't see myself doing that well. unfortunately I don't think I have any mitigating circumstances severe enough to qualify, it's more personal problems. thanks for the idea though - would be easier if they just don't give me an offer to be fair lmao

That’s unfortunate. True the decision may be taken out of your hands

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending