The Student Room Group

Preperation for IB School and doing law....

Hey there guys, long time reader of the forum. I finally decided to post myself and ask for help instead of reading others posts. So currently I am going to my first year of D.P. this year here in Canada. I have been in M.Y.P. for two years now so I kind of know whats IB is like :/
Anyways, currently I have my heart set on doing some kind of international law because I love traveling so doing some kind of law which allows me to travel would be great. My teachers say I am a very bright student but, often I do not pay attention in class which is true. However, for the next two years I am determined to work my butt off to get good marks. My goal is to get into a good English (british) university because frankly I love England and the way things are there.

Some Universities that I had in mind were: U.C.L., Kings College, Cambridge, Oxford, and McGill here in Canada. Therefore I will probably need to aim for 37-40 points which I know is not easy. I will also try to volunteer a lot and get certified in other languages to add to my profile. I guess my questions really are:

What kind of law allows one to travel a lot?

What kind of side endeavors (like the Duke of Edinburgh award) can I take up to better my profile?

Do you think my current course selection is good for law ?
ENGLISH HL
FRENCH HL
HISTORY HL
BIOLOGY SL
MATH SL
PSYCHOLOGY SL

I have the option change French HL for BIOLOGY HL, MATH SL for MATH Studies, PSYCH SL for Online economics, online business & management, philosophy and etc.

So would it matter for a university if i took Math Studies instead?

Sorry if i wrote a lot, thank for your time. I hope somebody will reply and help me out. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by akem
Hey there guys, long time reader of the forum. I finally decided to post myself and ask for help instead of reading others posts. So currently I am going to my first year of D.P. this year here in Canada. I have been in M.Y.P. for two years now so I kind of know whats IB is like :/
Anyways, currently I have my heart set on doing some kind of international law because I love traveling so doing some kind of law which allows me to travel would be great. My teachers say I am a very bright student but, often I do not pay attention in class which is true. However, for the next two years I am determined to work my butt off to get good marks. My goal is to get into a good English (british) university because frankly I love England and the way things are there.

Some Universities that I had in mind were: U.C.L., Kings College, Cambridge, Oxford, and McGill here in Canada. Therefore I will probably need to aim for 37-40 points which I know is not easy. I will also try to volunteer a lot and get certified in other languages to add to my profile. I guess my questions really are:

What kind of law allows one to travel a lot?

What kind of side endeavors (like the Duke of Edinburgh award) can I take up to better my profile?

Do you think my current course selection is good for law ?
ENGLISH HL
FRENCH HL
HISTORY HL
BIOLOGY SL
MATH SL
PSYCHOLOGY SL

I have the option change French HL for BIOLOGY HL, MATH SL for MATH Studies, PSYCH SL for Online economics, online business & management, philosophy and etc.

So would it matter for a university if i took Math Studies instead?

Sorry if i wrote a lot, thank for your time. I hope somebody will reply and help me out. :smile:

Don't worry about law that allows you to travel yet, it's definitely out there, but it's a decision for years down the line.

I'm not too sure on IB but if someone said those as their A Levels I would say they're absolutely fine for law.

With your unis beware you can't apply for both Oxford and Cambridge in the same year, unless you are applying as an Organ Scholar.
Reply 2
You nearly seem to have the same goals as me. I'm British but live in France, am starting IB1 next year, and hope to study law in London (with Kings college in mind).
In my opinion, if you are not so good at/blatantly bad at Maths do maths studies, seeing as you would normally get a better grade than if you were in SL and Maths isn't a requirement for law.
Seeing as you want to do international law, French HL would definitely be a good idea but not obligatory.
Lastly, because Law doesn't have such pacific requirements (as opposed to say, studying to be a Doctor which requires at least two scientific subjects in IB), other than it being "better" that you do subjects that use argumentation such as History and English, play to your strengths. If you're better at (or more interested in) psychology, do psychology, if you're better at economics, do economics.
Hope I could help!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
If I were you, I'd go for:

HL French - The whole international thing.
HL Biology - SL is just a joke.
HL History - Shows your good at analysing.
SL English - With a HL language, you'll have enough without the extra HL novels.
SL Maths Studies - Once again, it's to balance it out, and plus, it'll get you more points.
SL Psychology - I do this, and I find it awful. All of the HL students hate it too. Keep it minimum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending