The Student Room Group

How to sort out the welfare system

Scroll to see replies

Aren't they essentially being employed by the government then?

Various extreme governments have use this tactic to get back to work and artificially lower unemployment rates. The workers were always overworked, underpaid, and generally hated the establishment that they worked for.

I definitely think that soemthing needs to be done about benefits, and law & order generally in this country, but I don't think that this is the solution.
Reply 61
1) Scrap free health care to NonBritish Citizens

2) Charge a lot of money to parent/s for every childborn in the UK - no free childbirth service. Some people think it is their right to pop out kids when they can't afford to raise them without the aid of monetary govt assistance.
Reply 62
Original post by Herr
I leave such peasant activities to the peasants, thanks.

you are even more out of touch than Clegg and Cameron
Reply 63
I think we should stop throwing fish at the OP, it just encourages him to make more pointlessly provocative posts to get attention. He needs to get a job or pick up used needles or something.
Reply 64
Original post by madders94
and thanks to government funding cuts

caused by a Labour Government voted in by a lot of people living in the welsh valleys ......
Original post by billydisco
caused by a Labour Government voted in by a lot of people living in the welsh valleys ......

Well, I can't vote and I don't live in the Welsh valleys so I refuse to take any blame for that one :unimpressed: :tongue:
Reply 67
Original post by Maker
I think we should stop throwing fish at the OP, it just encourages him to make more pointlessly provocative posts to get attention. He needs to get a job or pick up used needles or something.

How the hell is this a pointless provocative point?

You must be stupid if you can't see that you need a deterrent to stop making it an easy choice to live on benefits! My idea could be further developed if the "work" was turned into something useful to give people skills!
Where did I say jobs? I said "work" as in the verb......

I am hinting along the lines of work done for the sake of making them do something.

Circus animals do work :wink:

It's better than your reading skills....

First off you ****ing idiot, if youre giving them work then you are inherently agreeing to give them a job to do. Any work done is a job fr the person doing it and so it your retarded scheme fits the definition of a job by accepted and obvious standards. If the jobs existed, the people on benefits would either be doing them or they'd find out about them and begin doing them, negating their benefits as they enter actual employment.

My question then is, why are you advocating for people on benefits to work for a salary wayy below the minimum wage? You're either a fat bigot who is resentful because some nasty man scared you once or you're a genuine fool, I'm interested to know which it is.
Reply 69
Why give somebody something for nothing, when we can make them do something to receive free money???

Now all we need to do is decide what work. Personally I couldnt care what, so long as it simulates a 9 to 5 job and the amount of effort people who pay their benefits (taxpayers) have to do.

So you want people to do typical working hours for £60 a week (or something)? They actually implemented that retarded system already, and it's failing miserably. If you can find 9-5 work, or any work, why not PAY them to do that job? Like, an actual wage.

I'd assume you're trolling, but people in power were stupid enough to think this made any sense so maybe not.

Now all we need to do is decide what work. Personally I couldnt care what, so long as it simulates a 9 to 5 job and the amount of effort people who pay their benefits (taxpayers) have to do.

And job hunt, when?
Reply 71
How the hell is this a pointless provocative point?

You must be stupid if you can't see that you need a deterrent to stop making it an easy choice to live on benefits! My idea could be further developed if the "work" was turned into something useful to give people skills!

Perhaps you should get a job, one that might help you develop some thinking skills and empathy.
To make this work you would need two big changes

1 - a significantly bigger and more powerful police force, because there would be a large increase in criminal activities amongst those that decided to pursue alternatives to being made to work for their benefits

2 - a lot of people recruited to supervise and monitor the people on benefits doing their community work etc, to make sure they were turning up, working hard and not sneaking off smoking spliffs etc

So it would mean a large expansion of the state and more people being employed by the state. Also you aren't saving welfare bill either, you're just making people turn up to work for their benefits.

So the flip side of this is having the state as a bigger share of GDP which probably a lot of people don't want.
I think if you are able to work but cannot find work/refuse to find it you should work voluntarily the amount of hours required to match the income you get from JSA (e.g. if you get £60 a week in JSA and the minimum wage is £6.08 you should work roughly 10 hours a week at least), I don't think you should work a 9-5 day 5 days a week for just £60 a week because you're doing just as much work as someone who has a proper job but for much less.

That way it's not slave labour, you are working to get your JSA whilst building skills and experience. There are obvious flaws in this however, but it's better than having people not actively looking for work and making themselves unemployable by not developing any skills.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by xDave-
So you want people to do typical working hours for £60 a week (or something)? They actually implemented that retarded system already, and it's failing miserably. If you can find 9-5 work, or any work, why not PAY them to do that job? Like, an actual wage.

I'd assume you're trolling, but people in power were stupid enough to think this made any sense so maybe not.

Learn to read- "work" is not the same as "a job".

The clue was when I said "simulate"
I have always said and will always maintain that the benefits system should be based on entitlement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending