The Student Room Group

Pastoral Care at Cambridge Colleges

I am applying to Cambridge this academic year but am still undecided on which college.
Something really key to me is the strength of the pastoral care and support around me should I study there. I've heard things about certain colleges at Cambridge having sub-standard pastoral facilities, but can not really find much written stuff about it. If anyone out there has any experiences they wouldn't mind sharing with me that would be great. Thank you in advance!!
Original post by maddieacpope
I am applying to Cambridge this academic year but am still undecided on which college.
Something really key to me is the strength of the pastoral care and support around me should I study there. I've heard things about certain colleges at Cambridge having sub-standard pastoral facilities, but can not really find much written stuff about it. If anyone out there has any experiences they wouldn't mind sharing with me that would be great. Thank you in advance!!

Everyone will tell you their college is the best. However having visited several I would say the college that felt the nicest to me was Homerton. It is a bit far out, but the people I met, tutors, students and admin staff were far more inclusive than the other colleges I visited. Hope that helps in some small way.
Original post by maddieacpope

It's an impossible question to quantify. All Colleges have pretty much the same provision for pastoral care, Chaplains, Tutors, College Nurses, access to free phone services etc. Everyone, UG, PG and staff also have access to an excellent University Counselling Service, and the various SUs.

There are multiple layers of pastoral support in all sorts of different directions (academic, health, mental health, financial, disabilities etc). The question that is impossible to accurately predict, is what is your issue and do you 'fit' with the resources available. But frankly, the resources are so extensive that it is hard to see how anyone can't find help if they look hard enough.
Check out the alternative prospectus - there's a page for every college, including sections about welfare: https://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges/
Reply 4
It is absolutely appalling now. The admin / welfare staff just pay lip service to 'welfare'. If anything, it is passive aggressive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending