The Student Room Group

Hip-Hop on Trial: Hip-Hop doesn't enhance society, it degrades it

Recently Google organized a very interesting debate on that title. At the beginning of the debate there was a voting session on whether people agree with it or not. 31% agreed with it and 56% disagreed, while at the end of the debate 19% agreed with it and 69% disagreed.

Turned it off as soon as I saw Jessie Jackson.
Lol. Stop giving it attention and maybe, just maybe, it'll **** off back to where it came from.
Original post by Scumbaggio

Lmao! I must admit I was kinda put off by him as well

God I hate Jesse Jackson. Not going to bother watching it now, cheers for the heads up :borat:
Reply 5
I'd watch this if the very premise wasn't so ****ing stupid.

All this bull**** X Factor/Pop Idol nonsense is more culturally degrading than hip hop.
Reply 6
I don't get it, why do you guys hate Jesse Jackson?

Original post by concubine
I'd watch this if the very premise wasn't so ****ing stupid.

All this bull**** X Factor/Pop Idol nonsense is more culturally degrading than hip hop.

I agree, and I think the people defending hip hop did a pretty good job.
I think this is a pointless debate. Hip hop doesn't enhance society but it also doesn't degrade society. No one ever shoots each other because hip hop told them to. Just like no one ever kills a prostitute and steals a car because GTA made it look cool. No one ever sells drugs because hip hop told them to. The most influence hip hop has had on society is dress-code and dress-codes are pretty trivial area and it's also had influence on language through promotion of ebonics. But, these are areas that don't help or hurt society.

There's a recurring theme in hip hop about doing drugs, ****ing women and chasing money. But, this isn't anything new to hip hop or society. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine,_women_and_song - If you look at this wikipedia page, you'd realize that people have been chasing a similar lifestyle since thousands of years ago. It's just the epitome of pleasure-seeking lifestyle.
Reply 8
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
I think this is a pointless debate. Hip hop doesn't enhance society but it also doesn't degrade society. No one ever shoots each other because hip hop told them to. Just like no one ever kills a prostitute and steals a car because GTA made it look cool. No one ever sells drugs because hip hop told them to. The most influence hip hop has had on society is dress-code and dress-codes are pretty trivial area and it's also had influence on language through promotion of ebonics. But, these are areas that don't help or hurt society.

There's a recurring theme in hip hop about doing drugs, ****ing women and chasing money. But, this isn't anything new to hip hop or society. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine,_women_and_song - If you look at this wikipedia page, you'd realize that people have been chasing a similar lifestyle since thousands of years ago. It's just the epitome of pleasure-seeking lifestyle.

wow, you've pretty much summed up my opinion on it. But remember you're talking about MAINSTREAM Hip-Hop. Hip-Hop can help society. For instance, in the debate there was this Egyptian rapper Deebs who was directly involved with the Arab spring and was among the first to get out onto Tahrir Square encouraging and supporting the protests with his music.
Reply 9

Me too.
Reply 10
It depends what Hip Hop you listen to...
How can a style of music (other than Justin Bieber/Cher Lloyd's styles) hurt society? :lolwut:
Reply 12
Hip Hop neither enhances nor degrades society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending