The Student Room Group

Is gym a hobby?

Hey guys,

So I've been dating this guy for almost 2 and a half years now, and at the beginning I didn't really mind it that much as he always went on about going to the gym all the time and talking about it as if thats the only thing he actually does.

Now that we're a bit older and time has passed, I realised that he's still very much only talks about going to the gym and meeting friends and training at the gym.

Nowadays, going to the gym doesn't really seem like a hobby just because its something thats sort of in our routine such as when I ask my colleagues or just friends in general, they say in the morning before work they go to gym or after work they work out in the gym for a while.
Maybe its because its become so normal that I don't regards it as a hobby but more as something you do to take care of yourself, like going for walk.

I just hope my boyfriend can find something interesting to do and not just fill his time with gym all the time. I don't know what it is but every time he brings it up, I just feel so bored cause its over and over again instead of something new.

Perhaps its from all that social media about gym culture and gym bros or whatever, but its crazy to make it your own identity instead of just something you do to take of yourself.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey guys,

So I've been dating this guy for almost 2 and a half years now, and at the beginning I didn't really mind it that much as he always went on about going to the gym all the time and talking about it as if thats the only thing he actually does.

Now that we're a bit older and time has passed, I realised that he's still very much only talks about going to the gym and meeting friends and training at the gym.

Nowadays, going to the gym doesn't really seem like a hobby just because its something thats sort of in our routine such as when I ask my colleagues or just friends in general, they say in the morning before work they go to gym or after work they work out in the gym for a while.
Maybe its because its become so normal that I don't regards it as a hobby but more as something you do to take care of yourself, like going for walk.

I just hope my boyfriend can find something interesting to do and not just fill his time with gym all the time. I don't know what it is but every time he brings it up, I just feel so bored cause its over and over again instead of something new.

Perhaps its from all that social media about gym culture and gym bros or whatever, but its crazy to make it your own identity instead of just something you do to take of yourself.

When you talk about it being something you do to take care of yourself, you are looking it from a wellness perspective. Which is understandable and applicable to a lot of casual gym goers.

As someone with several years of strength training under my belt including a few powerlifting competitions, it is very much a passion and obsession that shapes my life. So I can certainly understand it from the perspective of the guy you are seeing.

Of course, if that is all he ever seems to talk about, I understand why you'd be bored. It is rather dull to anyone who doesn't have the same level enthusiasm. Can you not talk to him about it to encourage him to change the record?
Reply 2
If he goes and finds himself a real hobby, you'll be cursing the day you ever complained about the gym.

I struggle to think of a single hobby that men have that women don't grumble about like crazy. If he goes and does another sport - say rugby - then there will be complaining about the time taken, the dirty kit, the injuries, the time at the bar with the boys. If he gets into photography, the complaints will be about the absurd amounts of money being spent. If he sits down and plays video games, the complaints will be about how he's a sadcase who hasn't grown up - same goes for train sets or model aeroplanes or whatever. If he gets into fishing, it's going to be about how he spends all day long at the side of a river and never spends any time with his girlfriend.

God help him if he becomes a netball umpire and spends 5 hours a week with tall, single women.
Hey guys,

I wouldn’t say gym a hobby. I’d classify playing a sport as a hobby for example I play 5 aside football with my friends as a Goalkeeper.
Hey guys,

For some people it's a hobby, for others it's a casual past-time, for others it's essential part of life or their occupation (e.g. models, athletes etc.)

Personally, I think times have changed. In recent years, men have started to come under the same sort of pressure as women to look good... and as guys don't have the option of make up, and can (generally) only do so much with hair (for those that have hair lol), the only thing is to improve your physique.

There's a lot you can do at the gym. As well as the main gym floor, there are often the different classes (ranging from Yoga to boxing / MMA); there are the physio, swimming pool and the spa (including sauna, steam room, aromatherapy etc.). Besides, training can be a great stress relief. After a stressful day at work, a good gym session allows me to channel all that pent-up aggression in a positive way (instead of taking it out on some poor soul), and after the endorphin / dopamine hit, I'm nice and chilled to enjoy the evening. There is also the social aspect, if you're a regular and you know other gym members as well as the staff there.

If you really want to be proactive about your predicament, why not think of a hobby / activity you could do together? For example, dancing may be a good one... you could be each-others partners, and do anything from Ballroom to street / hip-hop. That way you get all the fitness benefits, learn a skill you can impress your friends with, AND give you a mutual talking point. But that's just an example, I'm sure there are other things you could do together?

On that note, I'm gonna head down the gym and pound some pounds 💪🏾
(edited 2 months ago)
Man's a gym bro, gotta respect that.

To me personally, it's both a hobby and a discipline.
Reply 6
It’s a hobby if it’s an enjoyable pursuit which you do an outside of work and other commitments. You don’t have to share the same hobby as your partner, or to rate what they choose to do. Mind you, if the hobby becomes a daily routine it may become a bit tiresome then. Maybe suggest an exciting new activity that you’ll both enjoy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending