The Student Room Group

Bad marks in second year...how to improve? :/

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you could offer any advice on my current situation.

I've just finished my second year in Biomedical Science at the University of Southampton, and my confidence has been knocked pretty badly. I got a 2.1 in first year, no problem there. However, this year has been a disaster as far as marks are concerned. I did pretty badly in my first semester, just passing, so I decided to work harder in my second semester, addressing all the areas which I needed to improve on advised by my tutors. While I didn't work as hard as I could have done (my fault entirely...I had a bunch of personal problems going on, with finance and family, and I let myself get overwhelmed), I still worked harder than first semester...and ended up with only marginally better grades than last time, in the low 2.2 range. I also failed a module (Biochemistry) which I now have to retake in August. :ashamed:

It's been two weeks since I got the results, and I've gone through the sadness stage. There's no-one to blame but myself; I'm in this mess and I'm going to get back out; no-one can do it except me! But I'm a little confused about what I can do to help me out of this situation (except for more work of course, I'm doing that already, studying now for my retakes and next year too! :tongue:). I managed to average about 80% for my coursework this semester, so that's definitely improved, but that's only worth 25% of the semester, so the exams are really impacting my grades. :s-smilie:

I've talked to my tutors, and they seem a bit reluctant to give me a straight answer. It seems that the biggest marking criteria for a question are relevancy and depth, respectively, and that incorrect statements are a big no-no. Thing is, how much depth can you put before it becomes irrelevant? I definitely think this is a big problem of mine; does anyone have any resources that advise on how to avoid doing this? I asked my tutors; they said it would be too easy if they told me! :tongue:

I need 66% next year to get a 2.1. I feel that I am a bit more likely to achieve this than in previous years as I've been given a lot more choice with modules, and I've been able to pick ones I know I'll enjoy and be more enthusiastic about. However, all of the third year modules on my course are 100% exam based, except the dissertation, which is a bit crappy...but that's how it is, so I'm aiming to do really well in 'em. :cool:

I really, really want this 2.1. I know I could do sod all work next year and get a 2.2, but I don't want to do that. I want to do the very best that I can, and if that means cutting back on fun times, then so be it! (I'm not much of a partier btw, though I was a bit attached to my extra-curriculars, I'll admit :tongue:) I've heard various things about a 2.2, and none of them good...a few people have even said it's better to admit "being in prison for three years than getting a 2.2", or that "you're better off being dead than admitting something like that"...which isn't very constructive, I feel. :rolleyes:

I've learned a lot about myself, gained a lot of confidence and made some great friends on my course; I've also changed my career aspirations during my time here as well, deciding that lab work isn't what I want to do. I think I want to be a physiotherapist instead, following my heart; I was worried about disappointing my parents (they always wanted me to be a high-flying doctor or businessman, careers I have decided wouldn't be right for me!), but that isn't important right now. The most important thing is that I get this sorted so that I can do better, and give myself the best chance possible! :biggrin:

So, I wanted to ask you guys if you have any tips on how to write good, first class essays in exams, how you structure them, how much emphasis is placed on critical analysis, writing style etc. I do a science based degree, but I would love to hear your thoughts from any discipline. Also, have any of you managed to get your marks back from the brink of destruction? It would be really encouraging to hear some success stories, though I'm not sure how many there will be :redface:

Thanks a lot, everyone! And sorry for the wall of text, I do tend to ramble a bit. (Maybe that's where my essays need work, too!) :colone:

My personal tutor said "The way I see it, you're going to get a 2.2...but to be honest, you could surprise me, though it's very unlikely" I'm determined to surprise him! :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by StrangeTaco
I've also changed my career aspirations during my time here as well, deciding that lab work isn't what I want to do. I think I want to be a physiotherapist instead

If you want to be a physiotherapist, is continuing with this degree the best idea?
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
If you want to be a physiotherapist, is continuing with this degree the best idea?

That's a good point, actually! I did think about it...but I can't really afford to drop out now. It's actually getting quite interesting, and I'm determined to see it to the end to get something out of it, classification notwithstanding! :smile:

I went in thinking I'd definitely like to be a scientist, but I thought I would find it a lot more interesting than I actually do. I guess I'm not actually completely sure what I want to do after this degree any more, so I feel staying and finishing will put me in a better position than stopping and having nowhere to go.

Hopefully, when I finish this degree, I can do postgraduate study into an area that really interests me, so I feel it's important that I get all of this exam business sorted out now. :biggrin:

Thank you for replying; I didn't think anyone was going to! :eek:
That's a good point, actually! I did think about it...but I can't really afford to drop out now. It's actually getting quite interesting, and I'm determined to see it to the end to get something out of it, classification notwithstanding! :smile:

I went in thinking I'd definitely like to be a scientist, but I thought I would find it a lot more interesting than I actually do. I guess I'm not actually completely sure what I want to do after this degree any more, so I feel staying and finishing will put me in a better position than stopping and having nowhere to go.

Hopefully, when I finish this degree, I can do postgraduate study into an area that really interests me, so I feel it's important that I get all of this exam business sorted out now. :biggrin:

Thank you for replying; I didn't think anyone was going to! :eek:

The reason I say it is the minute you get that degree, you stop being able to get funding for another one - it's to do with ELQ rules, or 'equal or lower qualification'; basically means they won't fund you to do another qualification at the same level you already have. As a final kick in the teeth, you may be subjected to international fees. The minute you start third year, even if you leave after the first day your third year, you stop being able to get funding for all but the last year of a different course ... but you will still 'only' be charged the reduced fees. As it is, you'd have to fund first year yourself.

Therefore, if you are considering going down a completely different path that requires a specific degree, it might be worth your while figuring out what you want to do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
The reason I say it is the minute you get that degree, you stop being able to get funding for another one - it's to do with ELQ rules, or 'equal or lower qualification'; basically means they won't fund you to do another qualification at the same level you already have. As a final kick in the teeth, you may be subjected to international fees. The minute you start third year, even if you leave after the first day your third year, you stop being able to get funding for all but the last year of a different course ... but you will still 'only' be charged the reduced fees. As it is, you'd have to fund first year yourself.

Therefore, if you are considering going down a completely different path that requires a specific degree, it might be worth your while figuring out what you want to do.

Once you've had any form of higher education, even if you fail or withdraw, even if you didn't claim for any student finance the first time round, EVEN (bizarrely) if it wasn't even in the UK, it then becomes much more difficult to qualify for further student finance in future, particularly a tuition fee loan. It's not as simple as just the "same or lower level qualification" test. Dropping out of a course because you're worried you might get a 2:2 is probably not a good idea, irrespective of your future plans. Two years in, and unless you hate it (it doesn't sound like it) then stick it out.

so I feel staying and finishing will put me in a better position than stopping and having nowhere to go.

You will be! Don't drop out, speak to your tutor but I'm sure they wouldn't advise you to drop out either. Sometimes people change their mind about what they want to do, it isn't the end of the world. As you suggest, your best bet is to try and achieve as good a classification as possible while considering your options for what to do afterwards. Physiotherapy, incidentally, like other NHS funded courses (Nursing, midwifery, etc.) does qualify for some funding even if you've already been in higher education.
Reply 5

I think physiotherapy is an NHS funded course at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, though I could be wrong about that :/

The problem is...if I stopped or transferred, I believe I would have to pay the new £9000 fees, which would be a bit unfortunate. You mentioned reduced fees though, would you be able to provide a source where I could check that? I'd definitely like to look further into it. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it. :smile:

Original post by Pkysam
Once you've had any form of higher education, even if you fail or withdraw, even if you didn't claim for any student finance the first time round, EVEN (bizarrely) if it wasn't even in the UK, it then becomes much more difficult to qualify for further student finance in future, particularly a tuition fee loan. It's not as simple as just the "same or lower level qualification" test. Dropping out of a course because you're worried you might get a 2:2 is probably not a good idea, irrespective of your future plans. Two years in, and unless you hate it (it doesn't sound like it) then stick it out.

You will be! Don't drop out, speak to your tutor but I'm sure they wouldn't advise you to drop out either. Sometimes people change their mind about what they want to do, it isn't the end of the world. As you suggest, your best bet is to try and achieve as good a classification as possible while considering your options for what to do afterwards. Physiotherapy, incidentally, like other NHS funded courses (Nursing, midwifery, etc.) does qualify for some funding even if you've already been in higher education.

Yeah, student finance is a bit of a strange beast! I think I will definitely stick out and just work hard this year; it actually looks like it will be much more interesting this time around! I'll have a talk with my tutor as well. Thank you for your advice, I definitely feel a bit better now! :biggrin:

You guys sound pretty experienced; do you have any advice regarding exams? I recently got a few books on exam technique that are really useful, are there any bits of advice you could give me to supplement them? Or is the best thing to do just to do a lot of work so I can remember as much relevant information as possible when the time comes? That seems to be the best way to get better marks, but I'd love to hear other people's opinions.
Point 1: Don't quit.

Point 2: A 2.2 is not the end of the world. I have a friend who managed to get onto a MA course with a 2.2 and is doing well. 2.2 will block you from graduate scheme but they are so difficult to get onto (I only know one person out of 50 people on my BA course and all the people on my MSc have not got onto one with one guy getting a reserve place). Employers honestly don't care about a 2.2 as chances are you will be applying for basic retail jobs by the time you finish the degree and employers are looking for experience over grades (remember youth unemployment is at 20% and mostly likely going to increase).

Point 3: Go through all your feedback and work out which areas you have problems. For example is it the form of assignments that you are taking? I personally did a lot worse in exams (only just about getting past the pass mark) while I got high 2.1s and firsts in the long essays.

Point 4: How is your classification calculated? For example my department used three methods and choose the best per student. Only my final year counted in the end.

Point 5: Sorting out whatever is holding you back can cause a massive jump in grades. I went from the second year 53% average to an average of 68% in the final year. This was mostly due to solving some of my writing issues and the fact that the assignments became long independent essays and reports rather than short essays mixed with exams.
I think physiotherapy is an NHS funded course at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, though I could be wrong about that :/

The problem is...if I stopped or transferred, I believe I would have to pay the new £9000 fees, which would be a bit unfortunate. You mentioned reduced fees though, would you be able to provide a source where I could check that? I'd definitely like to look further into it. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it. :smile:

:sigh: I didn't remember it was an NHS course. I'm not sure if they fund a second degree either, though. Some of them are exempt from ELQ, though.

9k is the reduced fee. :s-smilie: People who fall on the wrong side of the ELQ fees sometimes find themselves paying international rates, which could be a lot more than 9k.

You guys sound pretty experienced; do you have any advice regarding exams? I recently got a few books on exam technique that are really useful, are there any bits of advice you could give me to supplement them? Or is the best thing to do just to do a lot of work so I can remember as much relevant information as possible when the time comes? That seems to be the best way to get better marks, but I'd love to hear other people's opinions.

Go through past exam papers. A lot of lecturers reuse the same questions and themes, and even if they don't you'll get used to the style.
Doing better is often about working BETTER not working HARDER. I don't understand why people emphasise how "hard" they work, when often they're using inefficient learning strategies.

Have a look at a few "how to study" books, and contact any study support advice centres at your uni. You might find that changing the way you study without doing any more hours might actually considerably improve your learning and results.
Reply 9
I do an Arts degree so not gonna lie, I don't know how to write a science essay. However, this book has massively helped me out this year and I've managed to bring my essays up from 62s to 74s just by focusing on structure/syntax/style and making sure I go as in depth as possible.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Essays-Students-English-Humanities/dp/0415230136
Reply 10
Original post by Politics Student
Point 1: Don't quit.

Point 2: A 2.2 is not the end of the world. I have a friend who managed to get onto a MA course with a 2.2 and is doing well. 2.2 will block you from graduate scheme but they are so difficult to get onto (I only know one person out of 50 people on my BA course and all the people on my MSc have not got onto one with one guy getting a reserve place). Employers honestly don't care about a 2.2 as chances are you will be applying for basic retail jobs by the time you finish the degree and employers are looking for experience over grades (remember youth unemployment is at 20% and mostly likely going to increase).

Point 3: Go through all your feedback and work out which areas you have problems. For example is it the form of assignments that you are taking? I personally did a lot worse in exams (only just about getting past the pass mark) while I got high 2.1s and firsts in the long essays.

Point 4: How is your classification calculated? For example my department used three methods and choose the best per student. Only my final year counted in the end.

Point 5: Sorting out whatever is holding you back can cause a massive jump in grades. I went from the second year 53% average to an average of 68% in the final year. This was mostly due to solving some of my writing issues and the fact that the assignments became long independent essays and reports rather than short essays mixed with exams.

Hehe, yeah, I was never going to do one of those graduate schemes...I don't think I'd enjoy a business career, though the money would help somewhat. :colone: I'd still be able to do an MSc though, so it really isn't the end of the world, you're right! I think a problem is that I'm really not quite sure what I want to do exactly, I need to take a year out at the end of this third year to sort everything out!

It's definitely the exams where I have problems; my coursework for this year has averaged around 70-80%. I talked to my tutor and he said that it was very likely I was putting down irrelevant information and not enough extra information from the textbook etc. He says that he's too busy this summer to look at my essays, but I'm looking at some university exam technique books which seem quite useful.

Well, I think my department uses the "exit velocity" technique if you're borderline (around 58-60%) so if I got mainly 2.1 and 1st class marks in modules this year, they might be be willing to do that. They definitely round up if you get 59.5% or more, so that might work out.

You're right there! I remember the same thing happening at A-level; once I managed to sort out my exam technique in Biology, for example, I went from getting an E to an A, because I wasn't writing the important information down and instead writing a whole load of waffle :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the advice! :smile:

:sigh: I didn't remember it was an NHS course. I'm not sure if they fund a second degree either, though. Some of them are exempt from ELQ, though.

9k is the reduced fee. :s-smilie: People who fall on the wrong side of the ELQ fees sometimes find themselves paying international rates, which could be a lot more than 9k.

Go through past exam papers. A lot of lecturers reuse the same questions and themes, and even if they don't you'll get used to the style.

I had a look, and it seems they do fund the "Pre-Reg" (graduate entry) physiotherapy, so that seems all in order. I found some places I could do this with a 2.2, but they didn't look too appealing! I'm going to try for that 2.1 so I'll have more choice. :wink:

Oops...I had a look at the ELQ fees...up to 15K in some places! Good lord. :s-smilie:

Definitely going through the past papers in more depth now. Going to do them all over this summer and write as many as I can, then send them to my tutor for feedback. Thank you for all your advice! :smile:

I would rep you if I could, but it won't let me :frown:

Original post by MusicTechnologyStudent
Doing better is often about working BETTER not working HARDER. I don't understand why people emphasise how "hard" they work, when often they're using inefficient learning strategies.

Have a look at a few "how to study" books, and contact any study support advice centres at your uni. You might find that changing the way you study without doing any more hours might actually considerably improve your learning and results.

I agree. One girl in my year has studied almost every night all year, and she only got marginally better grades than me! :eek:

I'm looking at a couple of "How to study" books now, and I'll get in contact with the student advice centre soon, as well, to see if they can give me any tips. Do you have any strategies that have worked well for you personally? I know everyone learns differently, but I would love to hear it. Thanks for the help :smile:

Original post by georgia
I do an Arts degree so not gonna lie, I don't know how to write a science essay. However, this book has massively helped me out this year and I've managed to bring my essays up from 62s to 74s just by focusing on structure/syntax/style and making sure I go as in depth as possible.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Essays-Students-English-Humanities/dp/0415230136

Ahh, no problem, thank you! I actually found a copy of this book in the library and am going through it now; I really like the style in which it's written :biggrin: I've been told depth is a major factor in getting the high marks; supplementing your answer with extra information that still manages to be relevant. Time to get serious about it! :smile:
Hello,

this is not exactly to the topic, but I wanted to ask if someone knows how much 2 year grades matter to the overall diploma/life after graduation? I don't have bad grades, per say, but some recent events have made me hand in a few assignments later then the deadline and now it is really stressing me out. If my 2 year term 1 grades are mostly C's with a few B's, is that dooming me to a life of placement and job?

I know I sound whiny, but I have worked so hard to get into the school I wanted and now I'm anxious about it being useless.
Great information provide by this blog thanks for sharing the useful information. Its really helps. <a*href=

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending