The Student Room Group

How realistic to achieve 2:1 for me

Unfortunately I didn't do well in my second year and my grade is just 51.75 ovearall. Ratio of my uni degree classification is 1:2 . It means 1 in second year, 2 in third year. Do I still have a chance to achieve a second upper class degree?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Definitely, especially if your third year is weighted more as it will count more towards your grade & a dissertation is usually double weighted so again would pull up your grade. At my university we also drop our lowest module mark, so your third year work will really make a difference. You said you got 51% which is already a 2:2! You most certaintly can get a 2:1 don't feel disheartened! If you are really worried I would recommend talking to your tutor who can explain how the degree classificiations work to offer you some reassurance, and offer any support if you're struggling to get the grades you want.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Emirhan Kaya
Unfortunately I didn't do well in my second year and my grade is just 51.75 ovearall. Ratio of my uni degree classification is 1:2 . It means 1 in second year, 2 in third year. Do I still have a chance to achieve a second upper class degree?

Mathematically yes, you only need 64.125 in your final year to average 60 overall. And as has been pointed out above, your degree regulations might allow you to drop your worst module/s. In addition, most unis have methods of upgrading near misses (eg those who average 58+ or 59+). These are usually based on improved performance in third year. Check your student handbook or degree regulations.

However, the key question is whether you can improve your marks to that extent. Have you had any modules in which you achieved 60+?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending