The Student Room Group

Overall uni grade

I’m a second year year student at Westminster uni. Our first year results didn’t count towards our overall grade. Second year is weight at 33% and third year is 67% of our overall grade. I’ve failed a core module and have just about passed another one. I’m not sure how the third one will be and idk what to expect because I’ve had such a grade scare from these. If the grade for my third essay is low, is there a chance I could still get a first if I do well for my other modules this semester and next year? Or have I blown that chance? I’m genuinely so scared about it because I prepared so much for the essays and thought I did so well but I’m trying twice as hard this year.
Reply 1
unless you score <10% in your second year there is always a chance of getting a first
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
unless you score <10% in your second year there is always a chance of getting a first

Wait really? Do you know roughly what percentage I should be aiming to get on essays and assessments to get a first?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Wait really? Do you know roughly what percentage I should be aiming to get on essays and assessments to get a first?

You haven't given anywhere near enough information to enable anyone to calculate what you need to achieve a 2.1 or First overall. (Module marks, credits etc.)

As well as the maths, however, the key question is why you haven't been getting 60+ let alone 70+.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot

You haven't given anywhere near enough information to enable anyone to calculate what you need to achieve a 2.1 or First overall. (Module marks, credits etc.)

As well as the maths, however, the key question is why you haven't been getting 60+ let alone 70+.

I failed one by getting 35 and for the other, I got 45. Each module is 20 credits. The grades are low because I had other issues along with uni that I was dealing with during the assessment period. In first year, I was getting marks in the 60-75 boundary but ofcourse that doesn’t go towards anything
I failed one by getting 35 and for the other, I got 45. Each module is 20 credits. The grades are low because I had other issues along with uni that I was dealing with during the assessment period. In first year, I was getting marks in the 60-75 boundary but ofcourse that doesn’t go towards anything

What happens with the module you failed? A resit capped at 40?
Reply 6

What happens with the module you failed? A resit capped at 40?

Yes that gets capped and the lowest mark I get either this year or next year gets scrapped. I doubt the capped mark would be the one which gets scrapped because it’s a resit so I think they’d scrap the 45.
Yes that gets capped and the lowest mark I get either this year or next year gets scrapped. I doubt the capped mark would be the one which gets scrapped because it’s a resit so I think they’d scrap the 45.

I think your 40 will be scrapped unless you have evidence in the regulations to the contrary.

How are degrees at Westminster classified? There are usually multiple methods.
Reply 8

I think your 40 will be scrapped unless you have evidence in the regulations to the contrary.

How are degrees at Westminster classified? There are usually multiple methods.

I’m not sure to be honest. I was just assuming they wouldn’t scrap the 40 because it’s a resit. Sorry I’m not quite sure what you mean by classified?
I’m not sure to be honest. I was just assuming they wouldn’t scrap the 40 because it’s a resit. Sorry I’m not quite sure what you mean by classified?

Why wouldn't they scrap the 40 if that's the lowest mark? It works in your favour.

Well, the standard classification method is a 2.1 if you average 60+, a First for 70+. But almost all unis have methods of upgrading near misses (eg 58/59 or 68/69). These are usually based on improvement in third year. Check your degree regulations - you must have seen them because you know about discarding your worst 20 credits.
Reply 10

Why wouldn't they scrap the 40 if that's the lowest mark? It works in your favour.

Well, the standard classification method is a 2.1 if you average 60+, a First for 70+. But almost all unis have methods of upgrading near misses (eg 58/59 or 68/69). These are usually based on improvement in third year. Check your degree regulations - you must have seen them because you know about discarding your worst 20 credits.

It does work in favour for me but I don’t think they’d do it like that. I could be wrong though. I’m just making this assumption because I thought as it’s a resit so it would have to go on my record.
As for the classifications, yes, that’s how ours are too. 70+ is a first, 60-69 is a 2:1, etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending