The Student Room Group

When’s it too late to get a first

I’m at my second year of uni and I’m getting pretty mediocre grades. I want to aim highly but I’m worried it may be too late…
It depends on what grades you've been getting and what grades you're planning on getting! Try reaching out to your academic advisor to see what's holding you back and what can you do to improve your academic performance.
Usually third year is weighted more than second year so in principle it's possible to outweigh that. However in practice usually second year is foundational for the material in third year and third year is harder on top of that, so probably somewhat unlikely, even if possible.

That said for most purposes a 1st is unnecessary and a 2:1 is all you really need.
Original post by Spring12321
I’m at my second year of uni and I’m getting pretty mediocre grades. I want to aim highly but I’m worried it may be too late…

Hi @Spring12321 ,
There's definitely still time to aim for a first, as if you do really well in an individual essay this can often massively improve your overall grade due to how university exam/essays are weighed. Also, if your 3rd year is weighted more than 2nd year then its possible to improve your overall grade in 3rd year. It might be worth contacting your academic advisor to ask for a meeting to see what you can improve on to get better grade. Or alternatively look through your coursework and exam feedback and if theres points that keep on being mentioned as these are maybe something to try to improve on.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster student ambassador)

Hi there

It is not too late to start aiming for a first. Since your grades have been good so far, third year modules often weigh more. If you start studying harder now and achieve good grades in second year, it could definitely boost your chances of achieving a first.
Good luck. :smile:
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi @Spring12321,

It's definitely not too late to aim for a first! Definitely go speak to someone about how much second year is worth in terms of percentage of overall grade because second year normally isn't as big of the percentage as third year.

I also recommend go talking to your lecturer/tutor about how you can achieve those higher grades and what you are potentially not including in your assignments already to stop you from achieving those higher assignment marks. This will give you an idea to see if achieving this is possible and a guide to help you.

I hope this helps🙂
Louise - The University of Wolverhampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending