The Student Room Group

MSc Health Psychology - King's or UCL?

Hi,

This is a really last minute post. I have offers from both King's and UCL for MSc Health Psychology and I can't decide between the two of them. I only have a couple of days to choose.

I want to go on to stage 2 training and I'm more interested in clinical work than research. I know that UCL has a great reputation as I went there for my undergraduate degree but I feel like the course is more focussed on research. I know that King's is also focussed on research but they have a placement which is part of the course and I'm thinking may help me more for the future? UCL are looking at the possibility of a 2 week placement though.

I hope somebody can help me!
Reply 1
Both are pretty equal it seems. You won't go wrong with either :smile:
Reply 2
This probably isn't of much help, but I'm currently doing an internship in medical stats/research (strongly related to health psychology) and we've had talks from a number of people from KCL, so I imagine it is a very strong department. While I imagine they're both equally as good, UCL does carry a better world-wide reputation than KCL imo, and it is one of the best or the best for psychology in this country. Sorry if this adds very little to your brain-storming.
Reply 3
I think the King's course hasn't been accredited by the BPS yet? I just had a look and it says that course is pending accreditation. It's likely that it will get it, but it may be more sensible to opt for a course that has been approved by the BPS for further training and career prospects? But both courses do look really good - and the placement in King's would be fab.
Reply 4
I would really press the opportunity for a placement with UCL
Reply 5
Thanks everyone , was a very tough decision but I've gone for UCL mainly because of the accreditation. KCL probably will get accredited but I'd rather not take the chance :smile:
Reply 6
I changed my mind and I'm now going to King's!
Reply 7
Could any one help I want to apply for MSc Health Psychology at UCL and can't find any funding.
Hey :smile:

I'm a first year trainee on a professional doctorate in health psychology and recently completed a clinically relevant PhD. Feel free to ask any questions.

Definitely go with the accredited MSc option and look at MScs with placement options.

I've studied and worked at UCL. Great place and highly recommended!
Reply 9
I'm debating between King's and LJMU! I am so confused!
King's - good rep, placement but expensive,
LJMU - okay rep, no placement but cheap!
What should I do?! Argh
Dear Sandy,

Hi there. I am in EXACTLY the same situation...help! What made you choose Kings in the end and were you happy with your experience? How have you found it post MSc in terms of the Stage 2 training?

Molly
Original post by 1234Molly
Dear Sandy,

Hi there. I am in EXACTLY the same situation...help! What made you choose Kings in the end and were you happy with your experience? How have you found it post MSc in terms of the Stage 2 training?

Molly

Do you know whether becoming a health psychologist is as difficult as becoming a clinical psychologist?
Hi Sandy :smile:

Hope everything went well and you made the right decision.

I have an interview for MSc Health Psychology and I'm quite anxious.

Can you tell me what they asked you in the interview? What to look for?

Any type of informarion would be most appreciated. 🌹❤️

Best Wishes, Stefania

Quick Reply

Latest