The Student Room Group

Applying for Graduate Membership with BPS

Hi,

I am looking to make a transition to Psychology, and I have received an offer to pursue an MSc. in Psychology and Neuroscience of Mental Health (Online, Distance learning) at Kings College

The degree from Kings is not BPS accredited, however, I was advised that I could still apply for graduate membership with the BPS upon completion.

Has anyone been in a similar situation where the degree is not BPS accredited, but they have still been able to apply for GBC upon graduation?

I have also received an offer to study at the University of Glasgow (MSc. Psychology (Conversion - Online Distance Learning), but this is a BPS accredited degree - so no issues here, but the Neuroscience element of the degree at Kings seems really exciting!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

- S
Hello,

I think I can answer your question. So you're right in that this MSc is not accredited by the BPS, but it does indeed sound very interesting. To become a graduate member of the BPS and gain GBC you need to either have a BPS accredited undergraduate degree in Psychology or an accredited conversion course. This MSc is neither of those unfortunately, and would not make you eligible for GBC. Very rarely the BPS will make a special case for courses that contain the appropriate teaching and can award GBC based on this (see https://www.bps.org.uk/join-us/membership/graduate-membership), but i'm quite sure that this would not qualify you for that. It's more designed for accrediting international qualifications.
Reply 2
Thank you! I will take your response into consideration when making my final decision :smile:
Original post by smibee1392
Thank you! I will take your response into consideration when making my final decision :smile:

No problem. Whatever you decide, good luck and most importantly, enjoy it!
Original post by smibee1392
Hi,
I am looking to make a transition to Psychology, and I have received an offer to pursue an MSc. in Psychology and Neuroscience of Mental Health (Online, Distance learning) at Kings College
The degree from Kings is not BPS accredited, however, I was advised that I could still apply for graduate membership with the BPS upon completion.
Has anyone been in a similar situation where the degree is not BPS accredited, but they have still been able to apply for GBC upon graduation?
I have also received an offer to study at the University of Glasgow (MSc. Psychology (Conversion - Online Distance Learning), but this is a BPS accredited degree - so no issues here, but the Neuroscience element of the degree at Kings seems really exciting!
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
- S
Hiya! Did you make a decision? I have an offer from KCL and looking for anyone who has had experience with the online program.
Original post by Mishakbar
Hiya! Did you make a decision? I have an offer from KCL and looking for anyone who has had experience with the online program.
They've not been online in over 3yrs so I doubt you'll get a reply unfortunately
Just realized that - I am talking to someone who is currently in the program next week. Hopefully will get some insights - not hearing anything to give me confidence so far.
Hi

I would stick to a course which is fully accredited by the British Psychological Society; obviously it is a rigorous important meeting of certain criteria process, but even small providers like Arden have a fully accredited course (that is where I studied and had a brilliant time).

For any provider, I would also check their report with the QAA (a bit like Ofsted) and also their Teaching Excellence Framework report, both readily available online to get a sense of the quality of the University

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 8
Just realized that - I am talking to someone who is currently in the program next week. Hopefully will get some insights - not hearing anything to give me confidence so far.

Hey there, did you get any insight because I am in the same situation?
Original post by shaili
Hey there, did you get any insight because I am in the same situation?

I was told by a graduating student who did the course that it was very underwhelming. I actually just accepted the MSc in Psychology from Leicester this morning. Taking to someone who is in the course next week. Will update here.
Reply 10
I was told by a graduating student who did the course that it was very underwhelming. I actually just accepted the MSc in Psychology from Leicester this morning. Taking to someone who is in the course next week. Will update here.

Sure, thanks alot!
Reply 11

Hello there, did you hear anything?

Quick Reply

Latest