The Student Room Group

Is it worth me emailing hospitals for experience?

Basically I'm a graduate with first class honours and no experience :redface: I need to gain some level of relevant experience before applying to AP/PWP/IAPT posts etc, and eventually on to the Clinical Doctorate.

I'm thinking about sending emails out for volunteering experience and have found the local hospital's head Clinical Psychologist's email, and also contact details for a surgery not far from me that offers psychology services.

(Halfway through my email to a local school for young people with learning difficulties, I realised that term ends in two days. Glad I didn't send that one!)

Would this be any use? I'm pretty much starting from the beginning in terms of getting relevant experience in order to start applying for mental health related work. Or would such people see an email from a psychology grad and just click delete? Would I be seen as a nuisance? Has anyone gained any experience this way?
Hospitals will require CRB checks and a health check, when i tried to volunteer through the volunteering office of the hospital.

Just try, what's the worst that can happen? I got a research assistant post (of sorts, just checking coding) at my local uni by emailing a psychology lecturer.
I find that some hospitals have work experience schemes while others have volunteering schemes - it's worth emailing around your local area to see what's on offer :smile:
No harm in giving it a try - although I've sent similar emails and just got no response, even from charities. But if you don't ask you don't get!
Reply 4
Thanks guys, the Psychologist replied with a really nice email saying that although I couldn't have any sort of placement in his department (they're just about to take on new trainees this week), he'll be happy to chat with me about places I could try! Useful anyhoo :smile:
Reply 5
A clinical Psych tipped me off about a post with the Division of Clinical psychology where I can work from home and look at policy and things. Anyone interested in getting to know some contacts and things (for clinical psychology) should go here: http://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/
Reply 6
I would. I don't know much about psych, but when I contacted hospitals etc for work experience for medicine, I was surprised by how many said yes. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest