The Student Room Group

Pharmacy work experience in year 10?

hi i'm a year 10 student looking for a 5 day work experience placement in june as part of our subjects, and since i'm interested in becoming a hospital pharmacist i was thinking (ofc) to go to a pharmacy... however due to the nature of the job i'm not sure if this is possible. does anyone know of any companies (rowlands, lloyds, etc) that take in gcse students? or if you've done a placement in one yourself, what tasks did they put you to and did you get anything out of it?

i was thinking boots would be the next best option even though i'd probably be more on the retail side, but their website faq says they aren't currently offering it 🫤 if nothing works out i think i'll just go to a charity or other retail shop

this is my first time posting on tsr so im sorry if im posting this in the wrong place 🥲 i'd appreciate any help lol
thanks!
Reply 1
I am pretty sure they will allow you to carry out work experience there. I would suggest going to a pharmacy and ask them if they have any opportunities for you to carry out work experience. Make sure to have your CV and personal statement preparing if they require it (they usually won’t )If they say no work experience go to another. If you have tried so many pharmacies I would say you should try and get some medical related work experience. Although at this stage it is not necessary, as you are only going to apply at sixth form, so it would just be better if you had something. When you go to sixth form, I would suggest carrying it out at a pharmacy, as you will need relevant experience for uni.

Hope this helps and if you need anything else ask away :smile:
I did work experience at a pharmacy, I emailed a bunch and the only one to accept me was a Peak Pharmacy. I was in year 12 at the time so was 16, so I'm not sure if they would be willing to also take in year 10s but it's probably worth trying them :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 7899
I am pretty sure they will allow you to carry out work experience there. I would suggest going to a pharmacy and ask them if they have any opportunities for you to carry out work experience. Make sure to have your CV and personal statement preparing if they require it (they usually won’t )If they say no work experience go to another. If you have tried so many pharmacies I would say you should try and get some medical related work experience. Although at this stage it is not necessary, as you are only going to apply at sixth form, so it would just be better if you had something. When you go to sixth form, I would suggest carrying it out at a pharmacy, as you will need relevant experience for uni.

Hope this helps and if you need anything else ask away :smile:

thank you sm! i haven't tried anything yet but i was thinking about going around the local area sometime this week, i'll keep your advice in mind :fisheye:
Reply 4
Original post by jjeeeeeea
I did work experience at a pharmacy, I emailed a bunch and the only one to accept me was a Peak Pharmacy. I was in year 12 at the time so was 16, so I'm not sure if they would be willing to also take in year 10s but it's probably worth trying them :smile:

oo interesting.. ill give it a shot there then thank you! ^^
Reply 5

Yes, you are right, definitely worth trying as there is no harm. Someone I know who was in year 10/11 managed to get WE at a pharmacy a few years ago, so shouldn’t be a problem
Reply 6
Original post by zkelwk
thank you sm! i haven't tried anything yet but i was thinking about going around the local area sometime this week, i'll keep your advice in mind :fisheye:

I’m glad it helped :smile:
Original post by zkelwk
hi i'm a year 10 student looking for a 5 day work experience placement in june as part of our subjects, and since i'm interested in becoming a hospital pharmacist i was thinking (ofc) to go to a pharmacy... however due to the nature of the job i'm not sure if this is possible. does anyone know of any companies (rowlands, lloyds, etc) that take in gcse students? or if you've done a placement in one yourself, what tasks did they put you to and did you get anything out of it?

i was thinking boots would be the next best option even though i'd probably be more on the retail side, but their website faq says they aren't currently offering it 🫤 if nothing works out i think i'll just go to a charity or other retail shop

this is my first time posting on tsr so im sorry if im posting this in the wrong place 🥲 i'd appreciate any help lol
thanks!

Heya!
I would recommend just going there and asking them :h: I was in exact same position and wanted to do some lab/hospital experience so I went to them and explained my situation with a personal statement I made. They laughed and agreed for me to be there as long as I didn't touch anything but I got to shadow them and learned lots from the experience! You never know if they agree unless you try! Do that with a bunch of pharmacies around your area and see if they say yes!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

If you’re still active on here, do you remember where you got the email addresses for the pharmacies from? I tried to look on the website of my local Peak pharmacy and it just has the generic stuff, nothing about how to contact that specific pharmacy. Or did you contact the company instead??
Reply 9
Original post by LittleFire10
If you’re still active on here, do you remember where you got the email addresses for the pharmacies from? I tried to look on the website of my local Peak pharmacy and it just has the generic stuff, nothing about how to contact that specific pharmacy. Or did you contact the company instead??

Hi.

What I recommend is to call up each pharmacy as this is far more easier and efficient, than emailing (as you have to wait for a response, then reply and wait for a response again and so on). I would say walking in to pharmacies is also better than emailing as you get a response straight away but it’s still not as efficient as calling. Some pharmacies may ask you to email a cv or whatever as they may be busy, but it’s still better to ring and check if they offer it. Also make sure to mention your age/ year group so you’re not wasting time.

You can find phone numbers and pharmacies easily by simply typing ‘pharmacies’ into google, and they all usually have their phone numbers attached.

If you are looking for an email address, I’m pretty sure the NHS website does that. See link: https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/pharmacy/find-a-pharmacy

Hopefully this helps.
Original post by zkelwk

thanks!

Hey I just saw this post was 9 months ago so you probably did work somewhere if it was a pharmacy can u pls tell me what is that. You did there and how was your experience there
Reply 11
Original post by mary_amheh
Hey I just saw this post was 9 months ago so you probably did work somewhere if it was a pharmacy can u pls tell me what is that. You did there and how was your experience there

hi, nahh i didnt end up working in a pharmacy since every one in my area said they don't take work experience students, esp since i was under 16🥲 my school arranged for me to go to a care home instead and it wasnt that great but it did make me realise healthcare isnt for me lol
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest