The Student Room Group

Girls underestimating their size.

Scroll to see replies

I would have assumed that she deliberately estimated you to be a smaller size than you are to be flattering... But I agree that a lot of girls seem to have issue with buying certain sizes. Maybe it would help if shops sold clothes by measurements, like men's stuff... Would get better fits then, say if you did bust and waist measurements for tops and dresses. :smile:
Original post by jack_the_king
yeah but you are runnign the risk of getting a reputation as the girl who wears big clothes and doesnt watch her figure.

That's ridiculous. Nobody actually looks at someone else's size labels, so it doesn't matter.
Original post by journalismus
That's ridiculous. Nobody actually looks at someone else's size labels, so it doesn't matter.

If you have big clothes chances are you are a bit chunky. It shows and it does not look good. believe me.
Reply 23
I've always overestimated my dress size.Even when I was a size 12 I always bought size 14 clothes.Now I'm bigger ( but am losing the weight) I still do it.I brought a dress last week and it's big on me but I guess that's better than me trying to squeeze into something that's too small for me.
Reply 24
I tend to find the opposite in some of my friends! I once was out with a friend who's really skinny, I'd say she was a 6-8. She said she was a 10-12 and said to me 'so you're what, a 12?' (I'm an 8).
I guess with people who underestimate they just want to make themselves feel better - if they can just about squeeze into a smaller size they'll be buying that smaller size and will think 'hey I'm a 10' even if they're not. It's a case of self-denial I suppose.
I hate when people do this. However I do sometimes end up going too far the other way, and I have several pairs of trousers/leggings that constantly fall down, because I buy them a size bigger than I necessarily need.
It's because they want to tell themselves that they are smaller than they are and can't bear buying the bigger size.
It's so stupid though, because even if you aren't fat if you wear clothes that are too small your fat will spill out and you will look much fatter than you are.
Or maybe they just think that muffin tops are sexy, who knows.
If you have big clothes chances are you are a bit chunky. It shows and it does not look good. believe me.

Yeah but there's nothing wrong with wearing bigger clothes than your actual size if they are more comfortable and fit better - I wear jeans that are slightly too big on the waist because my actual size is not comfortable at all.
Reply 28

If a girl who is size 14 wears clothes that fit her well she will look miles better than a girl of the same size wearing the same outfit in a size 10. Believe me.

smaller number on the label =/= looking good
i agree but i think its easier to say that when your small because even with some variation i am some were between a 4 and 10 but i think its hadder to be so blaises (sp) when your say changing from a 10 ( which lot of people think is normal ) to say a 16. it would be easier if the sizes were the same though
Original post by megan.c
Then I'm sure the 'bigger' girls will be happy to be spared your attention.

Also, the average (and still perfectly healthy so don't drag "everyone is obese" logic into this) size in the UK is a 12/14 I believe?

A size 16 is the average dress size, and sorry but the majority of British women are overweight. Just because it's average doesn't mean it's healthy.

I don't agree with what that douche bag was saying though, just had to pick you up on that comment. I doubt he'd even have the chance to reject " any gash over a size 10"
I used to overestimate my top sizes, I'd get a size 10 and everything would always look horrible on me. I tried a size 8 and it usually looks a lot better on now. At least I did get my jean size of 10 right though :laugh:.
Original post by sarahthegemini
A size 16 is the average dress size, and sorry but the majority of British women are overweight. Just because it's average doesn't mean it's healthy.

I don't agree with what that douche bag was saying though, just had to pick you up on that comment. I doubt he'd even have the chance to reject " any gash over a size 10"

My neighbour is at least a size 18 yet she goes to Cardio Tai Boxing three times a week and plays Squash in between. My reaction was "OMG!1!1 How is this possible!?" :eek:
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Well they seem to overestimate male sizes, I'm a 34 waist and a girl mate said she saw a nice pair of jeans and was going to buy them for me because they were on sale but didn't know if I was a 38 or 40 waist and they only went up to a 38! :lolwut:

Instant deflation of my ego! She did appoligise and just said I looked a 40 because I'm muscly but I suspect she was just trying to flatter me and make me feel better.

oooh that's gotta hurt. Does she even know wtf a size 40" waste is?? That's huge!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
It all depends on height and build I would say, I have a friend who is shorter than me and is not stick thin or fat, she wears size 6-8 tops but doesn't look stick thin, and if she was the same height as me she would probably be wearing a similar dress size, she is a size 8/10 on the bottom even though she is a but chunky- so you can really never tell!
Reply 35
Original post by sarahthegemini

It depends on the body shape I suppose - I had a flat mate who was very short and at least a size 14 (someone who was guilty of shoving herself in small clothes tbh) who'd be classed as obese, and I know another girl of a fairly big build but was extremely healthy.
Reply 36
Original post by Serentonin
If you wear clothes that are too small you just look so much bigger, no matter what size you are. I'm generally a six in everything but comes the odd occasion where I need an 8. If I wore the six anyway, I'd look fat, even tho a six obviously isn't. It's just the way it is.

See so many people with muffin tops tho :frown:

I agree with you I tend to go one size bigger (size 8) which is more flattering, size 6 would be fitted on me and I think it tends to make me look bigger when I compare it to a size 8 on myself, but having said that I have many friends who prefer to do the opposite, I suppose whatever people are comfortable in goes :smile:
Original post by silent ninja
oooh that's gotta hurt. Does she even know wtf a size 40" waste is?? That's huge!

Apparently she just picked them up and tried to guess if they would fit. She didn't mean any harm in it, but I'm a comfortable 34 waist, 32 if the trousers are loose fit, so I can't see how she considered me a 38/40. Don't get me wrong I'm no lance armstrong but there's massive difference between 34 and 40 lol. :rolleyes:
This thread! I used to be like this but you really need to stop hanging on to numbers. I went to New Look today and bought two dresses- one 8 and one 12. People need to realise shop sizes really don;t count for much and stop being hung up on them!
This reminds me of a story of my mums about her sister. Apparently for my mums wedding, her sister was bridesmaid and would NOT admit to being a size 14. My mum was trying to be subtle and let her squeeze into a size 12 dress. She burst out of it during the wedding lol Oops!

Quick Reply

Latest