The Student Room Group

Halls at 33?

So I've made a big life decision and have decided to go to uni next year at the age of 33, id quite like to live on campus but worried i'm not gonna fit in and look a right tool living in halls, advice?
Reply 1
Some Universities would have postgraduate/mature student halls. I'd really advise against Undergrad halls.
Reply 2
Wow you're brave haha. I'll be 28 when I start uni in sept and I would never consider halls haha. I like peace when I lay my head to rest. Plus looking at the prices of halls I've seen far cheaper private accommodation near the uni of my choice. I already live independent and so i just be moving closer in the coming months.

On a positive note they tend to have halls that are for mature students so I would advice you to apply to those halls. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
I wouldn't mind a 33 year old in my halls, but you would get people talking. As the person before me said some Unis have mature student halls or studio flats, you should call them up and ask. If not, just enjoy your time at Uni and screw those people who talk!

Reply 4
Original post by Wurzel
So I've made a big life decision and have decided to go to uni next year at the age of 33, id quite like to live on campus but worried i'm not gonna fit in and look a right tool living in halls, advice?

I wouldn't live in undergrad halls and possibly not even in postgrad unless there are others of that age. I'd do some effort trying to find a 1 bedrom flat somewhere. You can find them at similar prices to halls.
There are two guys in my class over the age of thirty and they fit in fine. Infact one stays in a student flat. Just don't go perving on the 18 year olds, doesn't go down too well with the girls. :tongue:
Reply 6
I stayed in halls when I started uni at 21 but you're 33 and I look young, a world away. Plus unless you want to put up with fairly immature antics(relative to you), people coming in drunk and making noise etc and sticking out like a sore thumb I'd probably look at other options. Halls are an experience but unfortunately maybe not one for you. Then again you could talk to accommodation services about your options. I believe I could have changed halls if I had a good enough reason at my uni. You'll fit in fine at uni but living with 18/19 year olds is another story. I was only 21/22 and I wasn't overly happy about the situation. They were less mature than me but at the same time I'm not a HUGE partier.

I think there's a 40 year old guy in my tutorial group, he's nice enough.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Go for it mate. Think about all that young snatch you'd be able to take advantage of.
Reply 8
The advice really depends on your reason for wanting to be in halls. If it's just because you want to be closer to your lectures then you may be best renting somewhere close to campus - either your own flat or a houseshare with other mature or postgraduate students. This will probably work out cheaper than halls and be a lot quieter so you can concentrate on your work. If it's because you look so young you could pass for early-mid 20s, enjoy clubbing and want the typical student experience in halls that the 18-year-olds get then just apply for halls as normal but you might want to ask the accommodation office not to put you with mature/postgrad students as they'll want a more quiet environment.

If you're the former and can't find anywhere to rent near enough the campus or really want to be on the campus itself then you could look at mature and postgraduate halls, though the uni may not have them or only let postgrads live there and not mature undergrads. Also if it's a local uni you may not get accommodation as those living further away will get priority if they don't have enough rooms for everyone. Designated quiet halls are also an option if your uni has them.
Reply 9
I am 29 and starting uni this September, i will be going into halls, as i want take in the whole uni experience. I am currently in the RAF so i am used to working and dealing with 17-18 years old.

Guess it all depends what sort of person you're.
Original post by mau5
Go for it mate. Think about all that young snatch you'd be able to take advantage of.

:biggrin:
Depends on you, some older students seem to be too young that someone says: WHAAT? 28? I thought she was 21 or 22? Or other people think their are freshmen, when they are PHDs. For these kind of people fitting in is no problem.
Started myself in January at 46, had a couple of months in undergrad halls before there was a space in the postgrad/mature halls. Both were fine, though have to admit to being more relaxed in the postgrad hall. When I moved out of my first flat my 18/19yr old flatmates were complaining that I was abandoning them!!
Whatever you decide you will love it, uni is a great experience, age doesn't seem to be a big issue. What course are you doing and where?
My University seemed to have intelligently allocated Mature Student's together in certain blocks or it may have just been a coincidence? but everyone in my block was over 21 and it was very quite but easy to study there.

Worth writing them an e-mail to see if they do this?
Reply 14
You'll get all the minge grandpa go for it.
Reply 15
Original post by Wurzel

You would be like a dog with 2 dicks mate!

In all seriousness though, I really think you would hate nothing more than having to live with a gang of 18-19 year old school leavers!
Reply 16
Original post by Wurzel

I'm 28 and moving into halls next month. However, the halls I'm moving into are just for Postgrad/mature students. Most unis have these so I'd investigate

I'm 30 and also moving into halls next month. If i'm going to pay i'll get the whole uni experience! :biggrin: The halls i've applied for are smaller on campus student houses (about 100 people), and do tend to have a slightly higher percentage of mature students than the others. Also the woman who interviewed me for my archaeology course is on the committee for the building I want and said the bar in there is mostly postgrads and lecturers, so it sounds perfect.

On my open day I spoke to several students at Bristol and they all said it doesn't matter how old you are as long as your not a dick, then its generally ok. I am worried a bit about having to put up with the antics of 18/19 year olds, but at worst it's less than a year.
Reply 18
Original post by Wurzel

I've got a few friends over 30 who have gone back to uni and in most cases the uni will pair mature students together so you don't feel like a "right tool", chin up you're going to be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending