The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ConnorTheYank
I live in the United States and i want to give people insight as to how the US is. Americans are very often stereotyped and i want to help people understand us better. No, i am not a blindly patriotic American; i will adress all input from a neutral, truthful perspective. :smile:

Howdy, dude, what's poppin' G? Is it true that y'all is obese, eat takeout, s'mores an' y'all drive SUVs an' have other left field terms such as panty-hose in the almighty Yoo Ess Ay?

Ah hell nah dude, almost forgot jell-o!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Libertinedreamer
Now we know this i suppose we can ask the real burning question us Europeans want to know .........do u know the fresh prince??

Original post by Nephilim
Bel Air is in LA.

Yes, but it's in West Philadelphia that he was born and raised. On the playground where he spent most of his days.
:wink:

With that said, this thread cracks me up. I'm American. From California. And honestly I can't stand the mindset of most people in this country.
Which is why I decided to get away for a while and attend uni in the UK. :biggrin:
Reply 82
Original post by Nephilim
I was really surprised to find out that New Zealand is the 3rd most obese country in the world :zomg:

"A tiny Pacific island, Nauru was named the fattest nation in the world by the WHO. 95 percent of Nauru's people are obese, which can be attributed to its traditional fattening ceremonies. The country also blames its high obesity numbers on the spread of western fast food, The Independent reported."

95% will take some beating...
Reply 83
The US and UK were not wanted in Afghanistan, but we got rid of the Taliban and saved the entire country

I don't want to get too off topic, but are you genuinely under the impression that the Taliban is no longer active in Afghani politics/society?

I try to stay far away from talking in stereotypes but I am definitely sensing a vibe from the states where people tend to pat themselves on the back and glorify military actions, oversimplifying conflicts when tact is better suited (for example: can one really speak of having "saved" Afghanis when civilian deaths rise by the year?)
Original post by Joinedup
right, I'm teasing you a bit. There's a stereotype of americans saying things like 'oh I met a guy from lancashire once, do you know his family' ?

they were real people though, they were alright. Kids a bit bratty but the mum had died and the dad was putting most of his effort into his business. The dad's business took off and they moved to a bigger house, sent their kids to a private school and they started acting like they were too good to give their old neighbours the time of day anymore. Wouldn't say I think that's a generic american characteristic.

Haha, that is true. Most Americans think that London and England are synonyms. As for the fact that they thought they were too good for their old neighbours; that is to an extent an American characteristic. The so called American dream stresses success and power over everything else. But this way of thinking is relative to all humans. Most people are influenced, negatively, by wealth, regardless of whether it is in India or Indiana.
Original post by Astronomical
Howdy, dude, what's poppin' G? Is it true that y'all is obese, eat takeout, s'mores an' y'all drive SUVs an' have other left field terms such as panty-hose in the almighty Yoo Ess Ay?

Ah hell nah dude, almost forgot jell-o!

It is true that America is a fat nation. It really depends on where you go. You will find very few fat people in some places (ie California) and you will find places where it seems everyone is obese (ie Texas). Although my family does not own an SUV, I can admit that more people in the US have them than people in Europe. In England, I saw very few SUVs, the ones I did see were Land Rovers (my favourite car). As for "howdy", I have only heard people say that a few times (much more frequent in places like Texas). And I think it is safe to say that all cultures have their fair share of slang words. England has pretty much the same amount of slang as America (Cockney rhyming slang, as well as words like: *******s, "getting pissed", even the cuisine is oddly named; bangers and mash, bubble and squeak, etc.)
Original post by mare?
I don't want to get too off topic, but are you genuinely under the impression that the Taliban is no longer active in Afghani politics/society?

I try to stay far away from talking in stereotypes but I am definitely sensing a vibe from the states where people tend to pat themselves on the back and glorify military actions, oversimplifying conflicts when tact is better suited (for example: can one really speak of having "saved" Afghanis when civilian deaths rise by the year?)

Without a doubt, it is still active, but it is not very prominent in politics. I genuinely believe that if we did not go in to Afganistan, more people in the Western world would have died. The Taliban committed countless atrocities against their own people. It was an Islamic theocracy; millions lived in fear. Civilian deaths by NATO forces are more prominent, but it is like that in every war. Now there is not really a safe haven for Islamist groups to train and to hide. Of course we are proud of our troops, and it is true that some idiots congratulate themselves for things which they have no idea how it works. I think the War in Iraq was pointless, but the War in Afghanistan was more than justified. If we just let the Taliban rule Afghanistan, what do you think would happen?
Reply 87
Original post by _Shmiley
Whenever I've met any Americans they always seem like *****. Sorry it's true. They think they walk on air and are so much better than everyone else and will actually try and prove it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Sorry, it's true? So based on your small sample size you feel you can state alleged facts and generalise a country of over 300 million people?

I've spent six years of my life in the US and thirteen in the UK. Whilst both countries have their good and bad points, in the UK you get much more idiots like you who have a much nastier, bitter look on people from different countries despite that being the stereotype for Americans. Grow the hell up, or if you aren't actually that overwhelmingly ignorant then don't state your opinion of a few as a fact which applies to all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Scootaloo
Can somebody explain this whole Chick-Fil-A issue (I mispronounce it Chickfilla sometimes hahaha) . Were there really loads of people who showed up to support them?

Thanks!

I am more than happy to explain it! I have nothing against gay people. They should be allowed to marry, like anyone else. Well, the CEO of Chick fil A said that he opposed gay marriage ( which really was not much of a surprise, as he was already a prominent evangelical Christian). So people who shared his views, usually old White southerners who were Christians and were very conservative politically, "buycotted" (patronised) their local Chick fil A. Again, I must blame this on the south, as the CEO was a southerner, and Chick fil A has most of its restaurants, as well as its headquarters, in the south. The politician that proposes the "buycott" was a white, southern, evangelical conservative (former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee).
Original post by battycatlady
Well, this thread is pretty revealing. I didn't know the differences between the Northern and Southern states were still so huge! Anyways, the only stereotype I really associate with America is that they are far louder that us Brits, but that's from experience. I've met lots of Americans from various states on cruises and all of them have been loud haha, but heh it's a good thing. All the Americans I've met have been really friendly, up for a laugh and have been great to talk to.

What I really want to know- do the teens in America really have those large beach parties late at night where everyone wonders around in bakinis and plays volleyball, or is that just something that happens in the movies? :')

Haha, I guess they are just in them movies. I have never seen one. I just came back from the beach, and there were not any parties, just small groups of teens casually drinking by the ocean. If it were common anywhere, I would have to say like the West Coast, but to a lesser extent, the New Jersey Shore can fit this. My cousins from NJ had their after prom party on the beach.
Original post by dem503
Yes, America is a big country full of millions of vastly different peoples, and if you went around to see how many people fit into the classic stereotypes then it won't be that many. But that's not how stereotypes start, its when you get a higher percentage of the population being (for example) fat, lazy, not knowing geography etc compared to other countries.

So going on the usual 'americans are obese' sterotype, no one actually thinks every single american is fat, its just that a larger proportion of the american public is obese compared to most other countries.

I see what you mean. You are right. America is fatter than any country in Europe. That is a fact.
Reply 91
I am from the suburbs of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Maybe 30 minutes away from Philly.

oh god not another one. dykwia is from that sort of area too and he is the most foul person in the world
Original post by alex5455
oh god not another one. dykwia is from that sort of area too and he is the most foul person in the world

That is like saying since Adolf Hitler is from Austria, all Austrians are genocidal maniacs.
Reply 93
That is like saying since Adolf Hitler is from Austria, all Austrians are genocidal maniacs.

and we have, made in the usa, sharii5, floridadad55, all very unpopular members.
Reply 94
I am more than happy to explain it! I have nothing against gay people. They should be allowed to marry, like anyone else. Well, the CEO of Chick fil A said that he opposed gay marriage ( which really was not much of a surprise, as he was already a prominent evangelical Christian). So people who shared his views, usually old White southerners who were Christians and were very conservative politically, "buycotted" (patronised) their local Chick fil A. Again, I must blame this on the south, as the CEO was a southerner, and Chick fil A has most of its restaurants, as well as its headquarters, in the south. The politician that proposes the "buycott" was a white, southern, evangelical conservative (former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee).

If we are addressing stereotypes, I think we need to get away from the stereotype evangelical. First of all, there are plenty of evangelicals outside of the South (there are plenty in the Midwest) and they not all old, there is quite a number of university (young people) evangelicals too. Indeed, most are white, but we have a lot of white people in the US. I'm also not going to bash people for exercising freedom of speech/assembly, because, well, that is important to most Americans.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Droid
and we have, made in the usa, sharii5, floridadad55, all very unpopular members.

I think you are slightly bigoted. As for the part about the "unpopular members", I don't know what you are trying to say.
Original post by battycatlady

What I really want to know- do the teens in America really have those large beach parties late at night where everyone wonders around in bakinis and plays volleyball, or is that just something that happens in the movies? :')

I'm from a beach town in California and yes, that does happen here. Add bonfires to the scenario and you have a typical beach night.

Yeah, not a fan of people from the Philly area. I went to school with a group of like 6 or 7 people from Philly and only one was nice.
Original post by Jackso
Sorry, it's true? So based on your small sample size you feel you can state alleged facts and generalise a country of over 300 million people?

I've spent six years of my life in the US and thirteen in the UK. Whilst both countries have their good and bad points, in the UK you get much more idiots like you who have a much nastier, bitter look on people from different countries despite that being the stereotype for Americans. Grow the hell up, or if you aren't actually that overwhelmingly ignorant then don't state your opinion of a few as a fact which applies to all.

I've noticed that too. Americans generally LOVE people from other countries. I can't speak for people from the UK, but I've noticed the bad mouthing a lot on this thread. I don't blame people though, I'm not a fan of most Americans either.
Original post by lindie
If we are addressing stereotypes, I think we need to get away from the stereotype evangelical. First of all, there are plenty of evangelicals outside of the South (there are plenty in the Midwest) and they not all old, there is quite a number of university (young people) evangelicals too. Indeed, most are white, but we have a lot of white people in the US. I'm also not going to bash people for exercising freedom of speech/assembly, because, well, that is important to most Americans.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Droid

That is true, they do have a right to free speech/assembly. I respect their views, but I disagree with them.
Original post by AndromedaLight
I'm from a beach town in California and yes, that does happen here. Add bonfires to the scenario and you have a typical beach night.

Yeah, not a fan of people from the Philly area. I went to school with a group of like 6 or 7 people from Philly and only one was nice.

There are a lot of *******s from my area. At my school, nearly everyone is rude, arrogant, and fake. One time I met a guy from Liverpool. He was a bit rude. I don't go on to say that he was rude because he was from Liverpool; he just happened to live in Liverpool. I haven't met anyone else from Liverpool, but I am sure that there are many nice people there.

Latest