The Student Room Group

volunteering at hospice - interview help!

I have applied for some volunteering as a catering assistant at a hospice, and have been invited for an "interview" as the lady stated on the phone. On the description of the application process it states: "informal meeting discussing relevant skills, qualifications and interests. I gonna guess that it is informal so have a few questions:

1) What should I wear, (I am a girl)
2) What questions should I expect

Thanks!! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by iluvmuzik52
I have applied for some volunteering as a catering assistant at a hospice, and have been invited for an "interview" as the lady stated on the phone. On the description of the application process it states: "informal meeting discussing relevant skills, qualifications and interests. I gonna guess that it is informal so have a few questions:

1) What should I wear, (I am a girl)
2) What questions should I expect

Thanks!! :smile:

To be honest most interviews of this sort for voluntary positions are just an opportunity for them to establish whether they will like and get on with you and whether you're a people person.

I work at Citizens Advice Bureau and we frequently have taster days for people interested in volunteering. The ones who don't get taken on as volunteers are the ones with no personality or who have any negative personality traits.

As for what you should wear, I'm a guy so I'm not going to give you specifics but I would say smart casual. You don't want to be dressed over the top for a voluntary catering assistant role but at the same time, you don't want to look like you've just rolled out of bed.

The key question they will ask is why do you want to volunteer? what's your motivation for wanting to volunteer at a hospice/do the catering assistant role?
Reply 2
Yeah, as the above post, I don't think they will exactly eat you. I had a fair few hospice interviews myself, and in all honesty they are just checking to ensure you are not totally insane. Typical questions were along the lines of why you want to volunteer here, have you had any experience volunteering before, tell us about a situation where you were confronted with death/what would you do if someone who you developed a rapport here with died? There may be situation judgement question as well - what would you do if one of your fellow volunteers were doing something that was not appropriate etc. In all honesty, it's nothing to worry about - its hardly a interview for Medical School, and you don't need to prepare. Just show them you will not be prone to having emotional/breakdowns or will come in one day and start shooting at people:biggrin:
Reply 3
Thanks for both of the replies, I have never volunteered before so just wanted a rough idea!!
Reply 4
The important thing is to show 1. interest in the charity and 2. enthusiasm. Its not a job and the interview should be easy and conversational so don't stress about it.
I've worked at a hospice before and I wore a black pencil skirt (not too short), floaty top and a cardigan with flat shoes. Definitely would go for casual business wear, and avoid jeans. You need to come across as a friendly person who isn't afraid to speak to the guests and is willing to jump in and help out wherever needed.

Question ideas:
What is your motivation to volunteer in general?
What is your motivation to volunteer in a hospice?
What do you hope to get out of volunteering here?
What do you know about this hospice?
What are your main strengths/weaknesses?
Do you have any catering experience?
Reply 6
I used to volunteer in a hospice. The "interview" was really more a chance for them to tell me more about what I'd be doing & for me to decide whether or not I would enjoy it.

They asked why I wanted to volunteer, what my future plans were, things like that. I also got a tour around the hospice.

In terms of dressing, smart casual will do.

I also went to a group information day, but that was separate from the interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending