The Student Room Group

Volunteering and things to write on applications

I’m only 15 right now but a lot of my friends and people in my classes have started volunteering at libraries, charity shops etc. some of them even have jobs (idk if that’s even allowed at 15 but they do). It’s summer holidays so I feel like i should also put in effort to do something for my applications. What should I do? I’m a super awkward person so I’m really nervous to start, and I don’t want to embarrass myself :frown: . I’m not even sure where to volunteer at ... Any suggestions would be great :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by B_____
I’m only 15 right now but a lot of my friends and people in my classes have started volunteering at libraries, charity shops etc. some of them even have jobs (idk if that’s even allowed at 15 but they do). It’s summer holidays so I feel like i should also put in effort to do something for my applications. What should I do? I’m a super awkward person so I’m really nervous to start, and I don’t want to embarrass myself :frown: . I’m not even sure where to volunteer at ... Any suggestions would be great :smile:

volunteering would be great since u gain transferrable skills which are useful for uni applications to pretty much any course or can be work experience in general if u want to apply for a job later on, i did my work experience at a charity shop and it was a minimum of 2 hours a week for 3 months which was quite manageable even during year 13 (assuming u might be doing gcse's soon) also i do recommend u get work experience if u havent already maybe in something u see yourself doing in the future
Original post by B_____

Hello!

Well done on taking the initiative and putting yourself out there! There are a lot of different volunteering opportunities you can get involved with, depending on what you're most interested in.
Charity shops like BFT, Oxfam and St Cuthbert's Hospice all have volunteering opportunities available in their stores if you're interested in that sort of thing. There are also volunteering opportunities at UNICEF which can either be local or online volunteering opportunities, depending on your preference.
You also have opportunities with organisations such as Historic England, English Heritage and National Trust, and if you go on their website you will be able to find different volunteering opportunities that interest you.

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending