The Student Room Group

Volunteering in my gap year

Does anyone know of any organisations which organise volunteering for young people in the UK? (I’m a UK citizen) I know there is a few for abroad, but is there any in the UK?
Reply 1
Going abroad, there's a lot more to organise for volunteers, like accommodation, visas, interpreters etc.

Why can't you do a direct search for volunteering opportunities? Look for community groups on Facebook or local posters/papers, look at events websites for festivals and sports, check charity and job websites, there's https://doit.life/volunteer.
Pretty much any charity shop will often be looking for volunteers. There may also be volunteering roles at local hospices, hospitals, care homes, and the like to provide companionship to patients/residents (charities may also place volunteers in such positions). You local job centre will probably also have information about volunteering (although that may be more aligned towards volunteering for work experience).
Original post by Lightningparrot
Does anyone know of any organisations which organise volunteering for young people in the UK? (I’m a UK citizen) I know there is a few for abroad, but is there any in the UK?

Hello,
There are quite a few volunteering opportunities in the UK. First, I would suggest deciding what kind of volunteering you would like to get involved with and going from there. Charity shops like the British Heart Foundation, St Cuthbert's Hospice, Oxfam, etc all have volunteering opportunities. Also, I'm aware that UNICEF and UN also have volunteering opportunities locally and internationally, and they also have volunteering opportunities that can be done remotely.

Non-profit organisations such as Historic England, English Heritage and National Trust also advertise many volunteering opportunities on their website if you're interested in the heritage and culture sector.

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending