The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wcp100
Bonjour. I was talking to someone who did modern linguistics today a Selwyn.

How's life?

Original post by Etoile

Hello :colone: Good day?

My chair broke. my life flashed before my eyes as I nearly went stumbling backwards.
Reply 181
Original post by Llewellyn
I nearly killed myself today doing a French high walk assault course. (never tried anything like this before)

They colour coded the parts like they do with ski runs (white, green, blue, red, black in ascending difficulty). Me and my brother had to do an intro on white (which was walking along a beam 1m above the ground). We were then briefed on the harness and zipwire and we were asked which course we wanted to do. We both went "Noir! :ahee:".

Turns out the black run was like 30m above the ground and included a ridiculously difficult series of challenges and zipwires where you have to pull yourself up (:lolwut:) instead of just passively "falling". The black run was also horrendously difficult, despite the instructor saying otherwise. I set off, but then about halfway through I was stuck because the upper wire I had to use to balance was too high (I was below the minimum height for the course). I couldn't turn back because there was a ~3m jump I just did that blocked the way back to the start. In the end I tried to "monkey" the single wire, which seemed like a good idea until I had to refasten my harness just down the line (which required 2 hands) whilst hanging by my hands. I tried to do it with one hand whilst resting that arm's forearm on the wire. I then slipped and proceeded to have a major panic attack as I was basically ~20m above the ground and hanging by my hands to a wire without an attached harness. A French man behind me suddenly started shouting, I had no idea what he was saying and so I immediately started screaming my brother's name (turns out he'd gone down a zip wire and couldn't hear me). About 5 mins (felt like 4 hours) later, a guide managed to get a ladder to the nearest tree and wrap a rope around my waist. I then had to let go and fall about half the height so they could then lower me slowly to the ground. It took some serious persuasion to make me do that.

When I finally reached the ground I stood there shaking and the pledged to never, ever, ever, ever go climbing or do anything involving heights again. And God damn the Froggies. I bet everyone else there was a regular climber. They didn't even realise I wasn't tall enough for that part of the course either.

(my adrenaline levels will be above 9000 for the next few days).

Interestingly, one of the thoughts that passed into my head whilst hanging was "but if I die, I will never know my mark in S2"

That sounds absolutely terrifying! :afraid:
Reply 182
Original post by chickenonsteroids
How's life?

Tedious at the moment. How's your life?
Reply 183
How's life?

My chair broke. my life flashed before my eyes as I nearly went stumbling backwards.

:console:

But now you get to go chair shopping! :ahee:
Original post by wcp100
Tedious at the moment. How's your life?

Full of work and painful. Jealous? :smug:

Original post by Etoile
:console:

But now you get to go chair shopping! :ahee:

But that requires standing up :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 185
How's life?

Sounds like you need to keep cutting bro. :wink:
Original post by Arva

You hit me bro,

right in dem feels.
Reply 187
Full of work and painful. Jealous? :smug:

But that requires standing up :frown:

You'll have to stand up anyway if you don't get a new chair! :lol:
Original post by Arva

Off trend... Have you started any TSA prep now that you've moved to the light side :grin:?
Reply 189
Original post by tooambitious

Off trend... Have you started any TSA prep now that you've moved to the light side :grin:?

I did the practice multi-choice on the cambridgeassessments website, got quite a bit above the average. Haven't done any practice essay bits because I have no one to mark them till I get back to school.

Yourself?
Reply 190
You hit me bro,

right in dem feels.

Are dem feels hurt? :s-smilie:
Reply 191

Cambridge TSA? How are you preparing?
Original post by Etoile
You'll have to stand up anyway if you don't get a new chair! :lol:

I can live with that.

Original post by Arva
I did the practice multi-choice on the cambridgeassessments website, got quite a bit above the average. Haven't done any practice essay bits because I have no one to mark them till I get back to school.

Yourself?

STOP TALKING ABOUT TSA YOU SMART PEOPLE.
Reply 193
I can live with that.

:lol:

What's this TSA thing you talk about. :tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by silentlife
what's this tsa think you talk about. :tongue:

Spoiler

i can't hear you over me doing nothing about the tsa. Sorry.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Arva

Yourself?

I've done the practice papers (45 lowest, 49 highest) buuuuuut cannot be bothered to read the book they recommended, everyone says its so useful, it's also bloody boring! :frown: I know I'll be pisse if I don't read it and ten I do badly, so I'm just gonna have to suck it up I suppose :tongue:
I'm worried about the essay part though :s-smilie:, I haven't written any real essays since GCSE ( I feel lied to by anyone who told me economics would suffice as an essay subject :tongue:) and when I get back I have no idea who I'll get to mark them for me. I dunno about worcester but when I asked at the ChCh open day if it was important the tutor said the points you make are important but if you write a bad essay don't worry well jut blame your school :wink:

Original post by wcp100
Cambridge TSA? How are you preparing?

I'm applying to Oxford, but I think the first sections are the same, so see above.
I'm sure the cambridge ones I've seen have been much harder though :s-smilie:

Sorry :colondollar:, do you have to take it?
I've done the practice papers (45 lowest, 49 highest)
Sorry :colondollar:, do you have to take it?

What is wrong with you? Dude... I have no words.

Yes I do :frown:
Original post by Llewellyn
I nearly killed myself today doing a French high walk assault course. (never tried anything like this before)

They colour coded the parts like they do with ski runs (white, green, blue, red, black in ascending difficulty). Me and my brother had to do an intro on white (which was walking along a beam 1m above the ground). We were then briefed on the harness and zipwire and we were asked which course we wanted to do. We both went "Noir! :ahee:".

Turns out the black run was like 30m above the ground and included a ridiculously difficult series of challenges and zipwires where you have to pull yourself up (:lolwut:) instead of just passively "falling". The black run was also horrendously difficult, despite the instructor saying otherwise. I set off, but then about halfway through I was stuck because the upper wire I had to use to balance was too high (I was below the minimum height for the course). I couldn't turn back because there was a ~3m jump I just did that blocked the way back to the start. In the end I tried to "monkey" the single wire, which seemed like a good idea until I had to refasten my harness just down the line (which required 2 hands) whilst hanging by my hands. I tried to do it with one hand whilst resting that arm's forearm on the wire. I then slipped and proceeded to have a major panic attack as I was basically ~20m above the ground and hanging by my hands to a wire without an attached harness. A French man behind me suddenly started shouting, I had no idea what he was saying and so I immediately started screaming my brother's name (turns out he'd gone down a zip wire and couldn't hear me). About 5 mins (felt like 4 hours) later, a guide managed to get a ladder to the nearest tree and wrap a rope around my waist. I then had to let go and fall about half the height so they could then lower me slowly to the ground. It took some serious persuasion to make me do that.

When I finally reached the ground I stood there shaking and the pledged to never, ever, ever, ever go climbing or do anything involving heights again. And God damn the Froggies. I bet everyone else there was a regular climber. They didn't even realise I wasn't tall enough for that part of the course either.

(my adrenaline levels will be above 9000 for the next few days).

Interestingly, one of the thoughts that passed into my head whilst hanging was "but if I die, I will never know my mark in S2"

:gah:

Well...that was an interesting story, glad you're okay.

Darned heights, I don't go on CCF camps just in case they have climbing planned. :colonhash:

To be fair that is a valid thought to have at this time.
The TSA is retarded.

That is all.

Spoiler

Latest