The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

How important are GCSEs for UCL?

Hey guys! Anyone knows how important gcses are for a university like ucl? My gcses were not that extravagant, I got 4 7s and 4 6s. My first year of a level was trash and next year will be my last year for a levels. I've already been studying really hard to be able to get the best results possible next year. However, I was wondering if it would be a waste since my previous years were not amazing
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi there, moved your thread over to the UCL forum.

I'd read this if I were you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6033950

Short answer: GCSEs aren't that important. GCSE requirements exist mostly as a benchmark to be surpassed. The benchmark these days usually is to have achieved 5 in English at Maths and since your minimum grade was a 6, you've passed this. You can check the specific entry requirement of your course to double-check but it'll probably be what I said and performing better than that won't provide you with any advantage :smile: More important is your actual A level predictions and actual grades. If you have good enough predictions, go for it. If you don't have that good predictions but you think you can turn it around in the exams, then ace your exams and apply with achieved grades. Don't give up!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
UCL are strict on GCSE. They told me last year.
Original post by alistpick
Hey guys! Anyone knows how important gcses are for a university like ucl? My gcses were not that extravagant, I got 4 7s and 4 6s. My first year of a level was trash and next year will be my last year for a levels. I've already been studying really hard to be able to get the best results possible next year. However, I was wondering if it would be a waste since my previous years were not amazing

May depend on course potentially, but I believe in general it's just minimum requirements in English language and maths. However these are "hard" requirements so if you don't meet them, they won't consider you.
Original post by alistpick

Hi! I am currently studying at UCL (2023 entry). I did not have any marks for GCSE as I attended a Korean middle school (We don't have GCSE in Korea). I did not even submit any marks or reports from the middle school. Only my IB grades were sent and I got accepted. So I don't think GCSEs matter.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi! I am currently studying at UCL (2023 entry). I did not have any marks for GCSE as I attended a Korean middle school (We don't have GCSE in Korea). I did not even submit any marks or reports from the middle school. Only my IB grades were sent and I got accepted. So I don't think GCSEs matter.

I wrote this answer
Sorry there was a confusion - I thought GCSEs are middle school things
However, still I did not have any GCSEs marks and only my IB grades which were done in year 12 and 13 were sent. So, GCSEs would not really matter
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
I wrote this answer
Sorry there was a confusion - I thought GCSEs are middle school things
However, still I did not have any GCSEs marks and only my IB grades which were done in year 12 and 13 were sent. So, GCSEs would not really matter

Hello,
thank you so much for the reply! I'm actually really surprised you got in with only your year 12 and 13 grades. You must have been an exceptional student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending