The Student Room Group

Urgent Message for Year 12 Students Going onto Year 13!!!!!

if u are currently in year 12 and are going onto year 13,, please read this!!!!

im a year 13 student who's in the process of sitting their biology a level exams and guys,, im going to be so real - my entire sixth form started revising for biology paper 1 yesterday.

i was the only one who studied properly,, with months of prep,
so it was a bit wild experiencing these things:

a) hearing their answers after the paper (i heard somebody say a similarity between cellulose and starch is that they have rna and water - NOT even kidding)
b) seeing them approach me and then claim that they know more about "x" topic, and then talking about a whole lot of nothing which made no sense (claiming they knew about DNA replication and then talking about tumor growth instead)
c) seeing one of them get caught trying to hide their phone while we were walking to the exam

and my PERSONAL highlight
d) half the class had printed out EVERY past paper since 2018 and they were completing them AS we were lining up for the paper LOL

this may sound like a troll message - but im being serious.. my yeargroup was a MESS.

long story short - if anybody is reading this in the future

please study --- this stuff isnt that hard once u get into a routine of just remembering the same facts over and over again -- lets just face it, the color of a reducing agent will not go from brick red to RGB,, the content will ALWAYS stay the same.

on average, an A is around 50-something(ish) %,, so as long as you're in that region/higher ,, you'll be alright
if you need any revision resources, please message me - i went from failing the subject to averaging out A*'s in the span of a month

i wish everybody the best of luck and
DONT LEAVE REVISION TO THE LAST SECOND!!!!
im 90% sure my sixth form just set the grade boundary curve for the entire country,, and im the only one who actually stands a chance of having a good grade at the end of it all

this is ur final year (or you're approaching it or whatever)

dont waste it.

good luck.
Reply 1
Adding to this, learn with spaced repetition!! It honestly helps so much! I use Anki to make flashcards on my laptop cuz I don’t mind the learning process to make the flashcards but I’ve heard quizlet is similar. Even if u make physical flashcards, do spaced repetition.

Learn ur cards one day and then review them again 3 days later. And then review them again a week later and keep increasing the gap between learning so the content enters ur long term memory. Miss estruch is a good YouTube channel for biology and Eliot Rintoul is a VERY good YouTuber for chemistry. Take it easy, start revising early and you’ll be ok. Make sure to practice questions and mark them yourself to see where u went wrong (instead of asking a teacher to) - this gives you a perspective on what the mark scheme is asking for questions. Don’t make ur future self ur enemy and enjoy your years with your friends. Try new things, u won’t be in school forever.
Reply 2
Original post by fordis

im a year 13 student who's in the process of sitting their biology a level exams and guys,, im going to be so real - my entire sixth form started revising for biology paper 1 yesterday.

a) hearing their answers after the paper (i heard somebody say a similarity between cellulose and starch is that they have rna and water - NOT even kidding)
b) seeing them approach me and then claim that they know more about "x" topic, and then talking about a whole lot of nothing which made no sense (claiming they knew about DNA replication and then talking about tumor growth instead)
c) seeing one of them get caught trying to hide their phone while we were walking to the exam

d) half the class had printed out EVERY past paper since 2018 and they were completing them AS we were lining up for the paper LOL

this may sound like a troll message - but im being serious.. my yeargroup was a MESS.

please study --- this stuff isnt that hard once u get into a routine of just remembering the same facts over and over again -- lets just face it, the color of a reducing agent will not go from brick red to RGB,, the content will ALWAYS stay the same.

on average, an A is around 50-something(ish) %,, so as long as you're in that region/higher ,, you'll be alright
if you need any revision resources, please message me - i went from failing the subject to averaging out A*'s in the span of a month

im 90% sure my sixth form just set the grade boundary curve for the entire country,, and im the only one who actually stands a chance of having a good grade at the end of it all

dont waste it.

good luck.

wanted to note that i forgot to link my resources

savemyexams is great for organising past paper questions but BY topic,,, so its best to print each pack out and then completing them,, and then with every question you get incorrect; you turn them into flashcards

quizlet link for paper 1 content (past paper questions that i've compiled from 2016-current day): https://quizlet.com/_d3s1d5?x=1jqt&i=40kamu

quizlet link for 3-6 mark questions: https://quizlet.com/_dbucj7?x=1jqt&i=40kamu
Reply 3
Original post by fordis
wanted to note that i forgot to link my resources

savemyexams is great for organising past paper questions but BY topic,,, so its best to print each pack out and then completing them,, and then with every question you get incorrect; you turn them into flashcards

quizlet link for paper 1 content (past paper questions that i've compiled from 2016-current day): https://quizlet.com/_d3s1d5?x=1jqt&i=40kamu

quizlet link for 3-6 mark questions: https://quizlet.com/_dbucj7?x=1jqt&i=40kamu

Wow this is great! Currently do my GCSEs and will be doing Aqa a level Bio so thanks a lot for this!!
Original post by fordis

dont waste it.

good luck.

going to show this to my students

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending