The Student Room Group

Not improving with anything

I learn all the content I can from subjects, done all the past exam papers and I still end up getting at least half marks or even below on each paper. I just cant improve my exam technique no matter what I do. I dont know what to do. I'm doing A levels and currently in year 13. Anyone have any tips?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
i'm not sure about a levels but for gcses i make quizlet cards with my mistakes from the past papers i do then go through them each day.
Original post by water_gas_timing
I learn all the content I can from subjects, done all the past exam papers and I still end up getting at least half marks or even below on each paper. I just cant improve my exam technique no matter what I do. I dont know what to do. I'm doing A levels and currently in year 13. Anyone have any tips?

I am sorry that you are struggling with this.
There are a few things that helped me when I was working for my A Levels:
- Repetition - keep doing past papers even if you have done them before, it can still improve your technique
- Analysis - really analyse where you went wrong in your exam paper, look at the mark scheme and see exactly where the marks are coming from
- Look at high mark papers - ask any friends/teachers for help, to look at the paper of students who get high marks, read their papers and this will really help you to see what you need to do to get the higher marks (I know this can be a tough thing to do, but it will help you so much)
- Spaced repetition and active learning for content - this depends what subjects you do, but try to write your own questions and answer them rather than passively reading through content, or use platforms such as brainscape/quizlet to test yourself and get used to answering questions
You have got this! The brain is super plastic and all of these skills you can learn with practice!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending