The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Talking about results day again? Anyone would think this was an academic year thread or something. :rolleyes:
Original post by Llewellyn
To be honest I get really pissed off with the offhand comments like "you're so lucky, you get amazing grades easily" and "I wish I had brains like you". And I'll get loads of those no matter what. They fail to understand that I work harder than anyone in my year and they fail to understand why an A alone isn't good enough.

He's either much, much more relaxed about results and stuff in general or he's much better about hiding his emotions than I am. People seem to accept him much better than they do me :frown: I'd like to beat him though. It wouldn't really mean anything and neither of us would mention it but still...

Ahh, that's fair. I think I got more of the opposite at school: "Yes, he got good grades but he's chained to his desk" type comments. I think I'd prefer the genius comments tbh :rolleyes:.

You must have quite a competitive streak. That's cool. Actually, there was one other academic guy at school who I was a rival with. He trounced me in the exams though and was a physics genius if ever I saw one.

I think from working with people in an office what I've realised is generally people are pretty neutral to geniuses (or intellectuals). But they really like people who will listen to them and are on their wavelength. This is still something I'm coming to terms with.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Amwazicles
Talking about results day again? Anyone would think this was an academic year thread or something. :rolleyes:

Your spoiler looks so delicious. I wonder what you'd think of what I eat on a regular basis :smile:
Original post by Blutooth
Your spoiler looks so delicious. I wonder what you'd think of what I eat on a regular basis :smile:

What do you mean?
Original post by Amwazicles
What do you mean?

Today I ate peanut-butter toast with a carrot and lettuce for dinner because no one would cook for me and I sadly couldn't be bothered. Your blog is actually making me regret that carrot now :tongue:
Today I ate peanut-butter toast with a carrot and lettuce for dinner because no one would cook for me and I sadly couldn't be bothered. Your blog is actually making me regret that carrot now :tongue:

Sounds like a pretty healthy mix to me. :tongue:
Ahh, that's fair. I think I got more of the opposite at school: "Yes, he got good grades but he's chained to his desk" type comments. I think I'd prefer the genius comments tbh :rolleyes:.

You must have quite a competitive streak. That's cool. Actually, there was one other academic guy at school who I was a rival with. He trounced me in the exams though and was a physics genius if ever I saw one.

I think from working with people in an office what I've realised is generally people don't particularly like geniuses (or intellectuals). They like people who will listen to them and are on their wavelength. This is still something I'm coming to terms with.

Yes, but there's a distinct difference between
*in awe* "omg you're so clever! I wish I could be like you"
and
*in content/ almost accusatory* "You never even have to try to get As..."

Not really, only at the very top end of results. I'm okay with people beating me mostly. But I just think he's a dick. He's clever and a bit 2-faced and popular for being "casually clever". He often makes snide remarks about me being a bit of a nerd, and is happy to point this out when he beats me in something.

Yes I've had similar experiences. I never mention my grades or my ambition to do physics unless directly asked because I feel as though once people know that they think of me differently (and normally worse). It feels like appeasement though, like one is apologising for doing well... Apparently this is only really true in the UK and the US. Apparently most of the EU and Asian countries find intelligence to be attractive and cool.
Reply 787
and

Not really, only at the very top end of results. I'm okay with people beating me mostly. But I just think he's a dick. He's clever and a bit 2-faced and popular for being "casually clever". He often makes snide remarks about me being a bit of a nerd, and is happy to point this out when he beats me in something.

Yes I've had similar experiences. I never mention my grades or my ambition to do physics unless directly asked because I feel as though once people know that they think of me differently (and normally worse). It feels like appeasement though, like one is apologising for doing well... Apparently this is only really true in the UK and the US. Apparently most of the EU and Asian countries find intelligence to be attractive and cool.

This is so true! People seem to dislike hard work and success in the culture of English youth. :redface:
I get accused in the opposite way: "you got XYZ grades? You must have no life" when actually I feel I should be working a lot harder. :rolleyes:
and

Ahh, I see now. That would be frustrating. I've actually had similar experiences with my rival. Anyway, don't let it get to you, people mature and as you get older you don't have to work with the proud underachievers.

I think our schooling system is broken and that's what encourages this attitude.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 789
Ahh, I see now. That would be frustrating. I've actually had similar experiences with my rival. Anyway, don't let it get to you, people mature and as you get older you don't have to work with the proud underachievers.

I think our schooling system is broken and that's what encourages this attitude.

Hey Blutooth? This is random but is it OK if I ask what you got in your GCSEs and AS levels to get your offer from Oxford?
Original post by Arva
Hey Blutooth? This is random but is it OK if I ask what you got in your GCSEs and AS levels to get your offer from Oxford?

Sure, I'll pm you.
Reply 791
Sure, I'll pm you.

Thanks! Now results day is so near I'm getting really worried about applying. :redface:
Original post by Arva
Thanks! Now results day is so near I'm getting really worried about applying. :redface:

That's only natural.
Oxford care less than Cambridge about grades, and I'm sure you've done fine.
Original post by wcp100
I know. Unfortunately I has messed up. I just don't see what it demonstrates at all.

It demonstrates that you don't mess up? :smile:
I think I'm gonna just open it on my own..............
Heptapus

Heptapus, that Gangnam Style song is so catchy and addictive! :biggrin:

The girl towards the end looks like HyunA. :holmes:

Oppa gangnam style! :danceboy:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 796
Morning all :smile:
Reply 797
Original post by Theafricanlegend
It demonstrates that you don't mess up? :smile:

Yes. That isn't what it should be demonstrating though.
I could kiss the English Lit. Grade boundaries for AQA. 46/84 for an A, and 60/84 for 100%.

Why are the AQA maths boundaries so low... 61/75 for 100% in C2 :lolwut: 65/75 for 100% in C4 is quite generous also.
I could kiss the English Lit. Grade boundaries for AQA. 46/84 for an A, and 60/84 for 100%.

Why are the AQA maths boundaries so low... 61/75 for 100% in C2 :lolwut: 65/75 for 100% in C4 is quite generous also.

Thankfully Phys2 is similarly low, and is 60/70 for full UMS :tongue:

Latest