The Student Room Group

The Filofax Appreciation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by neutralmilkhotel
I bought my first Filofax today and I blame this thread

It's so pretty!

I've just bought the same one as you for £14 @ whsmith recently!! Got the personal size and it's just heaven

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 181
I am trying to print my timetable, I followed the instructions on philofaxy. I print it on A4 and it still small when I cut it.. Am so frustrated with this! If someone could post a template or something, that would help!
Reply 182
Original post by tanker23
I am trying to print my timetable, I followed the instructions on philofaxy. I print it on A4 and it still small when I cut it.. Am so frustrated with this! If someone could post a template or something, that would help!

It'll be small because of the printing settings, I think. If you're printing using Adobe Reader you need to make sure it is set to Actual size, not fit to page. If you're not using Adobe Reader, try using Adobe Reader using that setting and seeing how you go :biggrin: I tried printing a Philofaxy insert just via the print on Chrome and it was slightly too small. I downloaded the file and printed via Adobe Reader and it worked that way!
I know this has nothing to do with the actual thread but I keep seeing this in my discussions tab, thinking it says Firefox, then wondering why anyone would make an appreciation thread for a browser...
When I'm printing things onto an A4 sheet, I will do this:
(I use photoshop though!)

Create a new document - sized at 95mm x 171mm (personal sized filo paper)
Put the thing that i want printing on that, re-sized so it fits. Also leave a little gap to the left, for the holes.
Then I flatten all layers, and copy it all.
Create a new document - A4 sized.
Paste the 95mm x 171mm document onto the A4. Once it's on the A4, do not resize or anything.
Now you can add more pages to be printed - I think you can usually fit three on a page.

That works well for me. I last did it when making my dividers - though for this you've got to add the tabs afterwards (either on the A4 sheet in photoshop, or draw them when printed before cutting).
Original post by ellieee-x
hey! has this arrived yet? would be intrigued to know what you think of it... im currently perving on the malden but am in a pickle as to whether i should get the purple or vintage pink which ive seen on other sites! what kinda purple is it?

also does anyone else have any reviews of the malden a5? it seems kinda 'floppy', is this a problem? i would be carrying it around so wouldnt want stuff getting squished etc..hope that makes sense :wink: does it seem quite rigid and will hold it's shape?

then im in another pickle...malden or finsbury! ive seen the finsbury in raspberry and it looks tempting but ohh i dont know... i originally wanted a finchley in purple after seeing someone review them on youtube but bad times, discontinued!

I have the Vintage Pink Personal Malden - the colour is gorgeous (slightly darker than on the internet). The leather is really soft, but it doesn't seem too bendy or floppy. I guess it'll give a bit more with use, but I don't reckon it'll damage the stuff inside it - not sure about the A5 size though!

I personally think the colours are VERY different from the Finsbury, especially the pinks. The Finsbury is a lot brighter, and this is muted and really, really classy and elegant. I love mine!

On a slightly different note, I'm currently planning on what to do with mine! I reckon I'm going to be living out of it - academic diary (need to look in paperchase!), finances, important addresses, shopping lists...and I'm planning on using it as a main day-to-day purse (due to clear card pockets - perfect for ID and bus passes) and then just get a smaller purse for evenings out :smile:
Reply 186
A5 Chesnut brown domino owner here. First Filofax Ive ever owned, mainly going to use it for appointments and to remind me when assignments are due in etc.
Reply 187
Original post by katehlouise

I found this website: http://anythingbutperfect.com/freebies/free-printables/
Printed the fall friends and the love pals to do lists onto A4. Cut them out and then stuck them on pieces of card that i'd cut to the size of personal pages :3 They look awesome! They're for more long-term to-do lists.

Aww they are so cute!
The 20% off SCHOOL20 promo code is still active by the way!
purchased my stuff to prettify today. ordering some paperchase inserts online though, disappointed with the range in my local house of fraser concession store.
I so want the songbird Filofax.
£18 on Amazon.

Edit: just found a few on eBay. So tempted! Is it a good idea to buy one from eBay?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
(edited 11 years ago)
just covered these dividers for my personal songbird! I'm swaying as to if I should also cover them in sticky-backed plastic. what do you guys think?

the sections are going to be, Diary, College, To do, Food diary, Blog and ???. any ideas for what the last section should be?
Original post by laurenmckay
just covered these dividers for my personal songbird! I'm swaying as to if I should also cover them in sticky-backed plastic. what do you guys think?

the sections are going to be, Diary, College, To do, Food diary, Blog and ???. any ideas for what the last section should be?

aww they are beauttifffulll<3 i should get to the range straight away...i would always wonder what these dividers r for lol
Reply 193
Original post by outlaw-torn
Edit: just found a few on eBay. So tempted! Is it a good idea to buy one from eBay?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

I've bought both of my filofaxes off ebay, and so long as you buy from someone with good feedback (95+% positive feedback) or, even better, going for one of the Top rated sellers - then you'll be fine. I bought mine not as an auction but a buy straight away option. I'm rubbish at bidding and it took me 30 auctions to get a good used iphone off ebay!!

Don't cover them with plastic; they look too good to do that to them!

My dividers at the moment are:

College: For college related To-do lists, general notes I need to keep like my UCAS login, etc.
Home: Again, to do lists and other things that may crop up in the future like room measurements, important personal details such as insurance etc.
Lists: Lists other than short-term to do lists such as a 'Books I must read', movie lists etc.
Projects: Anything long-term that will be more than a few points on a to do list like, for example, my EPQ at the moment which has many different deadlines.
Finances: A place to keep track of income and expenditure, see how how much I spend as opposed to save each month.
Other/Misc: Whatever else while my Apex is new until I realise I need to rearrange my dividers to suit me. At the moment, it just has my personal information and important contacts in.

My planner is in a slightly separate bit with a temporary tab but I will soon be buying some more tabs when I can justify how much i have already spent filofaxing this month!

Maybe a 'Me' tab where you store personal details etc. or like me, a finances tab. Maybe a shopping tab/Wish list where you store everything you want to/need to buy or get!
Original post by SoftMusk
aww they are beauttifffulll<3 i should get to the range straight away...i would always wonder what these dividers r for lol

Awh, thank you! I've seen so much nicer ones on this and other threads but luckily I work in a craft shop so I had plenty of pretty paper kicking about to cover them with! :P Yeah, I was like that too but I've seen so many different ideas with people printing out inserts for exercise diaries and all sorts of clever things I would never be able to think of!

Original post by Joshalos
Don't cover them with plastic; they look too good to do that to them!

My dividers at the moment are:

College: For college related To-do lists, general notes I need to keep like my UCAS login, etc.
Home: Again, to do lists and other things that may crop up in the future like room measurements, important personal details such as insurance etc.
Lists: Lists other than short-term to do lists such as a 'Books I must read', movie lists etc.
Projects: Anything long-term that will be more than a few points on a to do list like, for example, my EPQ at the moment which has many different deadlines.
Finances: A place to keep track of income and expenditure, see how how much I spend as opposed to save each month.
Other/Misc: Whatever else while my Apex is new until I realise I need to rearrange my dividers to suit me. At the moment, it just has my personal information and important contacts in.

My planner is in a slightly separate bit with a temporary tab but I will soon be buying some more tabs when I can justify how much i have already spent filofaxing this month!

Maybe a 'Me' tab where you store personal details etc. or like me, a finances tab. Maybe a shopping tab/Wish list where you store everything you want to/need to buy or get!

Okay, thank you! :colondollar: what about even just doing the tab bit, similar to how they are when you buy them? I always seem to have grubby fingers and I don't want them to get too dirty very quickly. (I sound like such a minger! It's usually just things like if I touch my face too early in the morning, I end up with make-up on them etc etc. I'm not actually dirty :wink: )

And hmm, there's some food for thought - you've now given me enough options that I'll need to choose between them rather than struggle to fill the tabs up!! I'll probably go for Diary, College, Lists (with to do, general blah blah with little dividers in between the different types of list but without the tab part - if that makes sense haha!), Food Diary and either Misc. or Finance.. I'll maybe start with Misc. and then change to finance if I find that I need it? Thanks for all your help :biggrin:
Awh, thank you! I've seen so much nicer ones on this and other threads but luckily I work in a craft shop so I had plenty of pretty paper kicking about to cover them with! :P Yeah, I was like that too but I've seen so many different ideas with people printing out inserts for exercise diaries and all sorts of clever things I would never be able to think of!

Okay, thank you! :colondollar: what about even just doing the tab bit, similar to how they are when you buy them? I always seem to have grubby fingers and I don't want them to get too dirty very quickly. (I sound like such a minger! It's usually just things like if I touch my face too early in the morning, I end up with make-up on them etc etc. I'm not actually dirty :wink: )

And hmm, there's some food for thought - you've now given me enough options that I'll need to choose between them rather than struggle to fill the tabs up!! I'll probably go for Diary, College, Lists (with to do, general blah blah with little dividers in between the different types of list but without the tab part - if that makes sense haha!), Food Diary and either Misc. or Finance.. I'll maybe start with Misc. and then change to finance if I find that I need it? Thanks for all your help :biggrin:

Maybe cover the tabs in that case to protect them from tearing and stuff. I was just worried those daisies and things might not look very nice if you cover them because of little air pockets!
Original post by Joshalos
Maybe cover the tabs in that case to protect them from tearing and stuff. I was just worried those daisies and things might not look very nice if you cover them because of little air pockets!

Hmm, I never thought of that! I'll do a dry run with the daisies just on some card! thank you.
I just had a splurge and finally gave into my desire for a Filofax ... Felt like a kid in a sweet shop!

I got a magenta Metropol personal size and already in love :smile: I'm a bit obsessive about organisation so I thought it was now a need and not a want!

Where is the best place to get the extra inserts? They didn't have much in the way of extras!

Xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending