The Student Room Group

The Filofax Appreciation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
2013-01-28 12.09.21.jpg

Mine :biggrin: It's empty at the moment though ;-; (I got it on Ebay without inserts)
I can't wait to fill it with my life :')
Original post by Kirstyae
2013-01-28 12.09.21.jpg

Mine :biggrin: It's empty at the moment though ;-; (I got it on Ebay without inserts)

Oh that's gorgeous, and so unusual! How much was it? What type is it? Where's it from? :smile:
2013-01-28 12.09.21.jpg

Ooh that's pretty! Never seen one of those before!
Review of the Dodo Pad:

Well firstly, it's nothing like a Filofax! I wouldn't really recommend people buy it as a cheaper alternation, as it really isn't like a Filofax. It is basically a small ringbinder - it is coated cardboard, very rigid, the pockets inside (two flaps) will hold very little. In short, it's also quite expensive for what it is.
HOWEVER, potentially this would work as somewhere to store spare inserts (as it would stop them getting folded) or it would be suitable for someone who keeps their Filofax on a shelf and doesn't carry it around (especially as I've heard cases of Filofaxes being damaged by shelf storage).
For my purpose (keeping an alphabetical list of books, and their reviews, on my kindle - for when I don't have wifi access, like at uni) its perfect really. I'm glad I only spent £6 on it, and it is very pretty! The colour is lovely, and the band looks smart.

I guess that I would love it if I wasn't completely in love with my Malden (and coverting one of Filofaxes very expensive ranges...just look at http://www.filofax.co.uk/store/organiserdetails.asp?sizeId=13&rangeId=186&dsizeId=13).
Reply 584
Hey all,
Has anyone had any experience with their filofax being too cumbersome for everyday life?
I recently moved out of my domino into my cuban slimline and I'm loving it :biggrin:
Reply 585
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Oh that's gorgeous, and so unusual! How much was it? What type is it? Where's it from? :smile:

I know :')
It was £15, without inserts. I'm not sure if that's expensive or not. It's leather, not PU and I haven't found many the same from googling it before I bought it but I don't know if thats a contributing factor or not :smile:
It's personal size and I think it might just be called 'Butterfly', and I think the colour is Pewter. ^^
I know :')
It was £15, without inserts. I'm not sure if that's expensive or not. It's leather, not PU and I haven't found many the same from googling it before I bought it but I don't know if thats a contributing factor or not :smile:
It's personal size and I think it might just be called 'Butterfly', and I think the colour is Pewter. ^^

Is it stitched or printed? It's such a pretty filofax! I'm fairly jealous!
Original post by linkdapink

I think it's embossed?
Reply 588
Original post by linkdapink

It's debossed ^^
I'm ordering inserts and thingamabobs for it this weekend, I can't wait :')
Heyya guys. So I'm debating about whether or not I should buy a Filofax and if I do, what type?
I've done a fair bit a research recently, and whilst I can honestly say I'm in love with the Malden, I don't know if I can justify that sort of price. Not yet at least, I need a 'starter' filofax, to ensure it'll actually get used and not shoved in the corner after a couple of months. So although it isn't leather and I've heard reviews that the elastic might stretch, is the Domino worth getting? To introduce me to the filofax world? It certainly seems alright. How long have all yours lasted? :smile:

(I'd probably be getting the Personal size. Simply because it's more portable than most. I'd be using this for pretty much everything, my diary, notes, reminders, lists, the full lot.)
Original post by Pixie-Bee
Heyya guys. So I'm debating about whether or not I should buy a Filofax and if I do, what type?
I've done a fair bit a research recently, and whilst I can honestly say I'm in love with the Malden, I don't know if I can justify that sort of price. Not yet at least, I need a 'starter' filofax, to ensure it'll actually get used and not shoved in the corner after a couple of months. So although it isn't leather and I've heard reviews that the elastic might stretch, is the Domino worth getting? To introduce me to the filofax world? It certainly seems alright. How long have all yours lasted? :smile:

(I'd probably be getting the Personal size. Simply because it's more portable than most. I'd be using this for pretty much everything, my diary, notes, reminders, lists, the full lot.)

Try one of the Paperchase-branded ones? They're lovely, cheaper than the Dominos too.

I went straight for the Malden as my first (Vintage Pink from Amazon - around £41 I think). Was worried it wasn't going to get used, as were my parents who paid for it ("reward" for A-level results) but I never leave the house without it!
Look on Ebay as occasionally they go cheap on there. Personally if I hadn't have liked the Filofax so much, I'd have probably stopped using it.

I know what an Ochre A5 - just because!
I've decided I think my filofaxes were a waste of money, even though I got them in the sale. My chameleons (pink and brown) seem to have colour wearing off! I've only used the pink one lightly since January, and the brown one has been used for less than 1 week. :s-smilie:

Really disappointed, and I'll be moving to a Moleskine diary, as I love using their notebooks. They are also slimmer and lighter.

Don't know if I've just been unlucky with my Chameleons, but this has really put me off Filofax. The whole reason that I chose expensive leather binders over a cheap one was so that they would last longer, and look nice. My pink chameleon hasn't even lasted 2 months, and looks really unsightly where the colour is coming off. :frown:
Original post by Pandabär
I've decided I think my filofaxes were a waste of money, even though I got them in the sale. My chameleons (pink and brown) seem to have colour wearing off! I've only used the pink one lightly since January, and the brown one has been used for less than 1 week. :s-smilie:

Really disappointed, and I'll be moving to a Moleskine diary, as I love using their notebooks. They are also slimmer and lighter.

Don't know if I've just been unlucky with my Chameleons, but this has really put me off Filofax. The whole reason that I chose expensive leather binders over a cheap one was so that they would last longer, and look nice. My pink chameleon hasn't even lasted 2 months, and looks really unsightly where the colour is coming off. :frown:

You should get in touch with filofax! Others have had problems like that and had replacements sent. They shouldn't wear off like that.
Original post by katehlouise
You should get in touch with filofax! Others have had problems like that and had replacements sent. They shouldn't wear off like that.

Yeah- I'm considering it. But I'm worried I'll have to send my organisers off for them to look at, which will set me back around £6 or so in (recorded) delivery. And at this stage I just don't fancy spending any more money on Filofax-related things. :frown:

Maybe I've been really unlucky, or it's a problem with lots of Chameleon Filofaxes? :s-smilie:
Original post by Pandabär
Yeah- I'm considering it. But I'm worried I'll have to send my organisers off for them to look at, which will set me back around £6 or so in (recorded) delivery. And at this stage I just don't fancy spending any more money on Filofax-related things. :frown:

Maybe I've been really unlucky, or it's a problem with lots of Chameleon Filofaxes? :s-smilie:

Look at it this way - you've spent the money on them already, by sending them back you'll probably get either a return of that money or you'll get replacements. If you don't send them back then FF will assume that you're happy with them and continue to manufacture them, when actually it is a noted fault with that line of FFs. I'm not sure you have to pay to send them back, if you do ask for a return of postage as they are faulty and not fit for purpose (you will have to send them back).
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Look at it this way - you've spent the money on them already, by sending them back you'll probably get either a return of that money or you'll get replacements. If you don't send them back then FF will assume that you're happy with them and continue to manufacture them, when actually it is a noted fault with that line of FFs. I'm not sure you have to pay to send them back, if you do ask for a return of postage as they are faulty and not fit for purpose (you will have to send them back).

Yeah...I see your point. Is it really a noted fault?

I just can't believe I bought them in January 2013 expecting them to last several years to justify the (initially) high price-tag, but it's 6 weeks later, and the colour has come off the clasp of the pink one, and the rim of the brown one already. Ugggggh. :frown:

Thanks for the advice, though. Sorry for moaning so much. :biggrin:
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Try one of the Paperchase-branded ones? They're lovely, cheaper than the Dominos too.

I was considering it. But I really like the leather bound ones (not a domino I know xD), so I was considering this; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00133MHFO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I can't make out if it's real leather or not? 'Luxury Italian' according the official website? At least it looks fairly leather like though (if you zoom in, it has that grainy effect) and for an okay price. It's about the same price as a domino and looks nicer, in my opinion (although the chocolate ones are quite nice). xD I dunno how good the make is though. Might be worth it?

And I'm pretty jealous of your Malden ninegrandstudent. :biggrin: I've been checking ebay, but the Malden I had my eye on, ended up going for about £40. It was without its box and for that price, I think I'd prefer to buy it new, it would have been about that price anyway. xD
I was considering it. But I really like the leather bound ones (not a domino I know xD), so I was considering this; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00133MHFO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I can't make out if it's real leather or not? 'Luxury Italian' according the official website? At least it looks fairly leather like though (if you zoom in, it has that grainy effect) and for an okay price. It's about the same price as a domino and looks nicer, in my opinion (although the chocolate ones are quite nice). xD I dunno how good the make is though. Might be worth it?

And I'm pretty jealous of your Malden ninegrandstudent. :biggrin: I've been checking ebay, but the Malden I had my eye on, ended up going for about £40. It was without its box and for that price, I think I'd prefer to buy it new, it would have been about that price anyway. xD

I know the price of mine, new on Amazon, kept fluctuating between £40 and £72 - Maldens definitely are expensive. There's a rumour there's an aqua coloured one going to be realised I believe...not my cup of tea, but I know lots of people over on philofaxy were excited about it!
Hi everyone,

I have recently set up a blog about organisation, uni life and reviews. I would really appreciate it if you could have a look - the link is in my sig x

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending