The Student Room Group

Resit year 12?

Hi,

I was very disappointed with my AS results yesterday, as I got BCDU. I had some very strong marks/grades in some of the modules but some of the other module grades were 'shaky' and negatively impacted the overall grades. I was planning on dropping the subject I got a U in anyway because I knew I was not strong at it, but I was expecting at least a C/D.

What is really stressing me right now is that these are the grades universities will see on UCAS even though I was/am originally planning to resit the whole subject that I got a D in and some of the modules that I got the C and B in.

I am considering re-siting year 12 completely and pick a subject that I am strong in to replace the subject with the U and continue with the other ones. But I am just worried about the impact that will have on my university choices in the future.

I would just like some advice as to which is the best option. I am getting really stressed about this.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
ANYONE?
Reply 2
i got DDDU. I am going to drop the U but will do 6 resits in jan. Going to work my butt off! I cant think of retaking the year with friends moving on and everything and wasting a year.
Reply 3
Original post by Zaqq
i got DDDU. I am going to drop the U but will do 6 resits in jan. Going to work my butt off! I cant think of retaking the year with friends moving on and everything and wasting a year.

How about your uni choices? I really would prefer to just move on to year 13 and work extra hard, but I really want to go to an ABB/AAB university, that's what I've always wanted. I now I could do better. But both choices will affect my university prospects and so I am just contemplating which route would be the least negative.

But I appreciate your feedback. Thank you and best wishes! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ruaha
How about your uni choices? I really would prefer to just move on to year 13 and work extra hard, but I really want to go to an ABB/AAB university, that's what I've always wanted. I now I could do better. But both choices will affect my university prospects and so I am just contemplating which route would be the least negative.

But I appreciate your feedback. Thank you and best wishes! :smile:

leeds
sheffield
newcastle
Bristol
Queens mary

what course you trying to do?
Reply 5
Original post by Ruaha
Hi,

I was very disappointed with my AS results yesterday, as I got BCDU. I had some very strong marks/grades in some of the modules but some of the other module grades were 'shaky' and negatively impacted the overall grades. I was planning on dropping the subject I got a U in anyway because I knew I was not strong at it, but I was expecting at least a C/D.

What is really stressing me right now is that these are the grades universities will see on UCAS even though I was/am originally planning to resit the whole subject that I got a D in and some of the modules that I got the C and B in.

I am considering re-siting year 12 completely and pick a subject that I am strong in to replace the subject with the U and continue with the other ones. But I am just worried about the impact that will have on my university choices in the future.

I would just like some advice as to which is the best option. I am getting really stressed about this.

Thank you :smile:

I got the same results as you. I'm planning on retaking one of the modules which I got a C in and retake both of my modules which I got a D. I would like to redo the AS which I got a U along with the A2 exams in that subject, I will take this outside of school as I don't think my school will allow me to carry on.

I also want to apply to an AAB/ABB uni, but I will probably not apply this year as I think it will be a waste so I hope I get a decent set of grades in August 2013 to apply in October 2013.
Reply 6
Original post by Zaqq
leeds
sheffield
newcastle
Bristol
Queens mary

what course you trying to do?

Those are good choices, I was considering some of them. I am hoping to study Law but I may have to reconsider that now. How about you?
Reply 7
Original post by ab786
I got the same results as you. I'm planning on retaking one of the modules which I got a C in and retake both of my modules which I got a D. I would like to redo the AS which I got a U along with the A2 exams in that subject, I will take this outside of school as I don't think my school will allow me to carry on.

I also want to apply to an AAB/ABB uni, but I will probably not apply this year as I think it will be a waste so I hope I get a decent set of grades in August 2013 to apply in October 2013.

That's a good idea to be honest, as opposed to wasting a whole year doing year 12 again. I was considering resiting the subject with the U just so that I don't have that in my records, but seeing as I am dropping it, it might just be a waste.

Applying in 2013 is a good idea I guess, seeing as you will have your actual A level results and you can therefore apply for the universities that require the grades you have and there's less ''worry'' and panic.
Don't panic! I was in Year 12 last year and I was predicted As but gained BDDE in my AS results. I took the decision to resit Year 12 and I got my results of AAAB yesterday so it is well worth it if you have the drive to go through another year. Although it isn't easy watching everybody else go to university when you have to stay behind. But it pays off. Restarting works for some people but doesn't for others. It is a big decision to make, but make it quickly :smile: good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by StrangerThings
Don't panic! I was in Year 12 last year and I was predicted As but gained BDDE in my AS results. I took the decision to resit Year 12 and I got my results of AAAB yesterday so it is well worth it if you have the drive to go through another year. Although it isn't easy watching everybody else go to university when you have to stay behind. But it pays off. Restarting works for some people but doesn't for others. It is a big decision to make, but make it quickly :smile: good luck!
I've calmed down now :biggrin:, those are amazing grades, congratulations :hugs:! You have given me so much hope! I know it wont be easy, but I guess sometimes you just have to try to not think about what your friends are doing, and focus on yourself and your future, so that will not be a big problem for me :smile:. I will consider what I will do by Monday, latest! How about your university choices, have they changed (if you don't mind me asking)? Thank you, again! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I may have to consider resitting A2 year/year 13. But, you seem to have some good grades for AS, granted they're not A's, A2 year is quite a jump up. So you may want to experience how hard A2 is, before you resit the AS year. You can still resit some AS modules whilst you go onto A2.

Again, it's your choice. If you do resit the year, I think it will be easier for you to get A's. But remember, if you do, you may not have a chance to resit once again if you mess up in A2. So, if you do resit, make sure you do better, and keep your head down during A2. :smile:

My 2 cents.. or 1 pence. :smile:
Reply 11
Doesn't it cost money to resit who year?

How about doing your A2's and getting best grades possible in them, and also resitting some AS modules. If your still unhappy with your grades, then you can resit you AS only as you would have good A2 grades?

Instead of you resitting your whole year now and how about you mess it up again, then what you going to do?
So take my advise move onto A2, get best results in them and do some retakes of AS modules then see if you bumped your grades up, if you havent then do AS year only.
Original post by Ruaha
I've calmed down now :biggrin:, those are amazing grades, congratulations :hugs:! You have given me so much hope! I know it wont be easy, but I guess sometimes you just have to try to not think about what your friends are doing, and focus on yourself and your future, so that will not be a big problem for me :smile:. I will consider what I will do by Monday, latest! How about your university choices, have they changed (if you don't mind me asking)? Thank you, again! :biggrin:

Thank you :smile: and it's great that you've got confidence about your A Levels too! If you want something then you'll get it haha. And yes! My university options have changed so much. Before results day I was set on studying English at Sheffield Hallam but now I'm looking and The University of Sheffield and Newcastle University. It is insane! I think if you really feel like resitting will benefit, then do it. It does not cost anymore money. If I had resat my exams yet carried on I would have been paying for resits and I payed nearly £200 in remarks last year :/ determination is key. Good luck with your decision though!:hugs:!
Reply 13
I knew I never worked well in college, I scraped C's in my GCSE's. I know if i put my mind to it I could do it indefinitely but I was always so lazy and laid back. I got my results yesterday and I have never been so ashamed in myself. I have decided to re-do Year 12 and I am going to make it my number one priority. I never want to feel so bad as I did on results day. I hope I am making the right decision because I know I can do it:smile:!
Reply 14
Original post by charmcr
I knew I never worked well in college, I scraped C's in my GCSE's. I know if i put my mind to it I could do it indefinitely but I was always so lazy and laid back. I got my results yesterday and I have never been so ashamed in myself. I have decided to re-do Year 12 and I am going to make it my number one priority. I never want to feel so bad as I did on results day. I hope I am making the right decision because I know I can do it:smile:!

i did well in gcse's but like you i messed up and failed completely in a way i didnt think was possible, so im gunna resit the year and i wish you the best
Original post by StrangerThings

So did you apply to university the year after you had done your AS again? What did universities think about the fact you had resat year 12? Are they cool with it? Lol. Because this is something that worries me the most. Unis not accepting me because I've resat year 12. Or do they not know at all? :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Original post by charmcr

did you have to pay to resit the year?
I' planning to resit yr 12 as well. I had a **** marks as well.
Reply 18
I’m also considering resitting year 12. I got U U E and have been asked to resit the entire year. I’m very anxious to do this though as I feel embarrassed and all my friends will be continuing on. It also means I’ll have to go on all the trips/talks I’ve already been on which doesn’t seem great to me

Quick Reply

Latest