The Student Room Group

is 100kg a good DL?

For 1 set x5 after 60x5 and 70x5 warm ups? Its my 5th week into a new training program and the DL had been left out of all my previous programs so I have no idea really what is a good lift. I'm 62-64kgs btw

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's good for 5 weeks but obviously you have a lot more left in you.
Reply 2
No.

Double bodyweight is the lower end of 'good'.
Reply 3
I deadlift 100kg...
Reply 4
Original post by stayce88
I deadlift 100kg...

how many reps/sets and for how long you been training?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
No..most lads should be able to rep it without training it.
Reply 6
Original post by McHumpy92

I likely would have been able to. I started off lifting 40kg adding 10kg each time. Wanted to work on my technique rather than dive right in with a three figure kg barbell just to say I can do 'what most "lads" can do'. I simply wanted to know what a good weight is, which is x2 body weight or more from the poster above
If it is more than you could lift when you started then yes. What other people can lift doesn't matter. What is "good" is forward progression.
Reply 8
He's been training the dl for 5 weeks. Read guys.
Reply 9

I remember when I first started deadlifting and only did 50kg
Reply 10
Original post by bestofyou
I likely would have been able to. I started off lifting 40kg adding 10kg each time. Wanted to work on my technique rather than dive right in with a three figure kg barbell just to say I can do 'what most "lads" can do'. I simply wanted to know what a good weight is, which is x2 body weight or more from the poster above

just whack on the 20's, at least that is from the proper height and add 10kg from there. It is what I did as well. \but 100kg was easy when I got to it...only got difficult at 160kg+...I have had friends do deadlift for first time and they rep out 100kg no problem....My one friend deadlifted for first time and did 130kg with awful technique.
100kg is decent but bear in mind you will never lift to your full potential as a newb. You are just not primed for it due to a variety of factors.

So build up and get comfortable with good, safe form. Then when you're confident, go for it and see what you can manage. Any relatively fit guy can deadlift well beyond their bodyweight, maybe even close to double, but the fact they are a newb is a limiting factor. Just challenge yourself every week, forget what others are lifting and you'll be surprised at the progress you make.
just whack on the 20's, at least that is from the proper height and add 10kg from there. It is what I did as well. \but 100kg was easy when I got to it...only got difficult at 160kg+...I have had friends do deadlift for first time and they rep out 100kg no problem....My one friend deadlifted for first time and did 130kg with awful technique.

Meh I deadlifted more than that my first time but I'm a big guy. The point is that somebody's current lifts should - excepting the exceptional - be measured against their starting point and not against a broad standard because the latter simply isn't useful for most people.
Reply 13
No. I weighed about 55kg and the first time i did it then, i lifted 80....
Reply 14
My first DL was 120.. with an ugly form remember just how much rounded-ness there was :tongue:
OP as others have said.. strength is relative as long as you are making progress , nothing else should matter.
Reply 15
Original post by uxa595
No. I weighed about 55kg and the first time i did it then, i lifted 80....

I suppose you had the physical awareness to keep your lower back locked on your first time?
It's a good weight for someone starting out. Onwards and upwards!
Reply 17
Original post by tooosh
I suppose you had the physical awareness to keep your lower back locked on your first time?

Why not?
Keeping the correct form is crucial, even if it's only 80. Plus the fact that my brother is a functional training coach so...

I guess people are good at different things though. I can remember my max bench was 30 the first time i did it, and my squat wasn't much better.
Reply 18
As said above, decent for a pretty new deadlifter. Twice bodyweight is decent but triple bodyweight is great haha. Just keep lifting and making progress don't worry about what you can lift now you will look back in months to come and think '100kg was not a good deadlift.'
Reply 19
Original post by uxa595
Why not?
Keeping the correct form is crucial, even if it's only 80. Plus the fact that my brother is a functional training coach so...

I guess people are good at different things though. I can remember my max bench was 30 the first time i did it, and my squat wasn't much better.

I meant that you started relatively high and as it was your first time, you wouldn't have had the motor control or body awareness to control your lower back. Of course, if you did a lot of form work with lower weights after seeing how much you could get up, I take it back.

Quick Reply

Latest